Chris Matthews

keatonisballin

Reaction score
Nfl a matthews04jr C 600x400

Also

aars021.jpg

Greenhell

Reaction score
He could be a baller as long as he puts the work in the off season.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
keatonisballin":1f9gb2dv said:
How do you defend that? Man I hope he can build upon his coming out party during the Superbowl. He could be exactly what we've needed for so long.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
I really hope Matthews is able to build on his playoff run (onside special teams recovery against Green Bay) and his big day against a very good secondary in New England. If he can just expand on his "rookie year" with Seattle and be that big body that can win jump balls and be a factor inside the red zone then it would be win, win for the team needs and Matthews future. It will be interesting to see how the team address the need for big bodies at the TE and WR positions in FA and the draft.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
One of the disappointing parts of the Super Bowl loss is the fact that Matthews' breakout performance has gone mostly forgotten outside of Seattle. If the Seahawks had won, he would have been all over the media and be talked about as one of the best breakout performances ever. No one cares as much because the Hawks lost.

McGruff

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2klhzg1p said:
keatonisballin":2klhzg1p said:
How do you defend that? Man I hope he can build upon his coming out party during the Superbowl. He could be exactly what we've needed for so long.

with this . . .

201502012101757151111 p5

sutz

Reaction score
HawkFan72":139fw963 said:
One of the disappointing parts of the Super Bowl loss is the fact that Matthews' breakout performance has gone mostly forgotten outside of Seattle. If the Seahawks had won, he would have been all over the media and be talked about as one of the best breakout performances ever. No one cares as much because the Hawks lost.
You say this like it's a bad thing.

I like that he's our little secret. Hopefully, he can continue to develop and surprise some folks this coming season.

:mrgreen:

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
McGruff":252pbc1q said:
Hawkfan77":252pbc1q said:
keatonisballin":252pbc1q said:

with this . . .

201502012101757151111 p5
Didn't work every time X new england patriots vs seattle seahawks 850x560

marko358

Reaction score
I loved what I saw in the Super Bowl and apparently he's had amazing workouts and practices with the team based on comments from teammates. My concern is that I never really hear Pete or John talk him up which makes me think he isn't a big piece they'll be counting on.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think he'll be on the roster next year, for a few reasons.

He plays ST. That's a big deal to our coaching staff. He also seems to be pretty good at it.

Richardson. He'll start out on the PUP, so we'll have a roster spot, even if we draft a guy.

Increased reps and confidence. This is where I hope Matthews can take the next step. Last year, he was just struggling to make the team. This year, he goes in as having the 2nd best performance of a UDFA in any Superbowl. Hopefully that gives him experience and hunger, and increased reps in OTA's and TC should help him get polished.

To go along with the reps, hopefully he'll get some familiarity with Wilson, and Wilson gains some confidence to throw a few balls up to Matthews. It's starting to look like Matthews might be a guy that doesn't look great in practice, but if you throw him the ball in a game, he'll make it happen.

He has a size and skill set that no one on our team has displayed yet. I see Norwood also being able to be a physical receiver, but Matthews is just a big kid. Not a ton of successful WRs in the league that go 6'5".

timmat

Reaction score
They've got to give him a chance next year based on what we saw from him in the Super Bowl. Russell throws the best "jump ball" in the league in my opinion. Even though Golden wasn't big, he was great at going up and getting the jump ball. Matthews proved in the Super Bowl he can make a play on the ball even when he's not wide open.

Now Russ and the coaches need to trust him, and give him those opportunities in the regular season to see if he can perform consistently. He doesn't need to be a burner or the best route runner if he can just give Russell a decent target and get positioned in some one-on-one matchups.

Look at how high above the defender he was on that Super Bowl touchdown. Seems like this would be there, even when he's covered. Most teams don't have a big Browner-type to throw on a guy as tall as Matthews.

I'm totally biased because we share the same last name and I want the jersey. :)

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
McGruff":lo44b3hq said:
Hawkfan77":lo44b3hq said:
keatonisballin":lo44b3hq said:

with this . . .

201502012101757151111 p5

Precisely. Which is why I wish Matthews was over on the left side for "The Play."

Pick your poison, Browner: defend the 6'5" Matthews or jam Kearse on the rub. I've been thinking that for 3 weeks, but seeing that pic really tells me that was our win.

LTH

Reaction score
I Know there are those of you that dont agree with me on this point but wide receiver is a tough position for a rookie to start at... there is a learning curve there and few have big seasons the first year... I would think the Hawks would pick a WR or two in the draft but I would not be looking for them to be big contributers the first year... Im hoping that guys like Mathews and Norwood step up and maybe Richardson will come back at some point next year... What would be even better is if the Hawks picked up a FA at WR... IMO a FA pick up would be the fastest way to give Wilson a big threat at the position...

LTH

kjreid

Reaction score
timmat":251x5g9i said:
They've got to give him a chance next year based on what we saw from him in the Super Bowl. Russell throws the best "jump ball" in the league in my opinion. Even though Golden wasn't big, he was great at going up and getting the jump ball. Matthews proved in the Super Bowl he can make a play on the ball even when he's not wide open.

Now Russ and the coaches need to trust him, and give him those opportunities in the regular season to see if he can perform consistently. He doesn't need to be a burner or the best route runner if he can just give Russell a decent target and get positioned in some one-on-one matchups.

Look at how high above the defender he was on that Super Bowl touchdown. Seems like this would be there, even when he's covered. Most teams don't have a big Browner-type to throw on a guy as tall as Matthews.

I'm totally biased because we share the same last name and I want the jersey. :)

They give everyone a chance with the ability to compete at every position every week will let him make his own way.....like he did for the superbowl. seeing him active as opposed to others shows that he can compete and make it. I love that no one on the WR corp can be complacent going into next year.

McGruff

Reaction score
LTH":1tu0va1z said:
I Know there are those of you that dont agree with me on this point but wide receiver is a tough position for a rookie to start at... there is a learning curve there and few have big seasons the first year... I would think the Hawks would pick a WR or two in the draft but I would not be looking for them to be big contributers the first year... Im hoping that guys like Mathews and Norwood step up and maybe Richardson will come back at some point next year... What would be even better is if the Hawks picked up a FA at WR... IMO a FA pick up would be the fastest way to give Wilson a big threat at the position...

LTH

That used to be the case back when college offenses were running the triple option and the NFL was the innovator. But now that the roles are reversed, college WR's are coming into the NFL with a much more developed sense of the passing tree and route combinations and reading defenses. Look over the last few years and the number of rookie receivers making an impact.

The 3 year rule is a thing of the past.

JonRud

Reaction score
I cannot wait for next season to start so we can watch Chris Matthews dominate the league.

Sac

Reaction score
I hope he spends the off season at Fitzgerald's WR camp before going to Hermosa beach with RW. He'd be a beast.