Chip Kelly's Tempo with the Eagles

zerohero65

Reaction score
So honestly, I haven't paid one bit of attention to the Eagles or Chip Kelly since the announcement of him as the head coach. The last few days have been full of headlines about how the NFL Officials are going to bring the hammer down on Kelly's flashy new up tempo offense and make sure they control the pace to their liking (will this ruin Chip Kelly? Oh my!). Blah Blah Blah, it's the off season so they have to wrote about something.

Has anyone actually read or heard whether or not the eagles are going to try to implement a no huddle offense? Genuinely curious. Or is this all based on the assumption that Kelly is going to run the same program that he did at Oregon? Like him or not, the guy is no idiot, and I'm pretty sure he was aware of NFL rules before he left the plush Job at Nike.

mikeak

Reaction score
They are supposedly running it in practice from several articles

they are also starting to get a list of injuries.....

not saying the two are related but they very well could be

Now in regards to the refs - the league has said how they control the tempo. If the eagles doesn't substitute they will be limited by the refs, if they substitute they will be limited by the opponents right to do the same.

I think it will have an impact at times and not at all other times. Several teams have shown that you can run no-huddle outside of the 2 minute drill.

My real question about this is WHY is the NFL making a big deal about it? What is their interest in not allowing fast games - tv-revenue? less ad money? I don't know why they make a point of refs not hurrying up outside of the 2 minute drill - exciting fast games helps the product......

sutz

Reaction score
The concern about tempo probably has more to do with TV advertising than anything else. Sponsors need to get their ads in. Other than that, IDK what the refs can do specifically.

We've had various versions of the up-tempo offense in the past that nobody complained about other than the opposing coaches.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ I think that is short-sighted. Up-tempo will lead to either more scoring or more turning the ball over to the other team (quicker 4th downs). It should give MORE opportunities for commercials and not less. Not like there is advertising during 1st and 2nd down as it is.

I think if anything it is tied to a game taking 3 hours as is and they don't want to mess with that. More scoring / punting should make up for the time "saved" with a quick pace so I also don't get this part

yeah I don't get the issue.......

EDIT: Maybe the ref union has a clause that says they don't need to work hard for 28 minutes in the first half and 28 minutes in the second half.....

OP
OP
zerohero65

zerohero65

Reaction score
Yeah it seemed pretty weird to me that the league was making that big of a deal about it, especially this early on. I know they're trying to be really aggressive about injury prevention, so maybe it's a PR move about player safety, but I don't buy that as the main reason.

Latest posts