Chip Kelly OC talk again

RiverDog

Reaction score
Will he, though? It's one thing to say it. It's another thing to do it. I don't think NFL teams want to pay him anywhere close to what he's currently making, which is why these NFL rumors have (probably) never progressed past interest. With that said, if Seattle were willing to pay him close to what he's making now and give him a long-term contract, I could see him taking less to be here. But I can't imagine a world where Chip Kelly takes a $3-4M pay cut and a demotion because he's tired of recruiting.
Oh, I agree that no one is going to be paying their OC the $5.75M per year that Kelly is getting at UCLA. Hell, half of the head coaches in the league aren't making what he's getting paid at UCLA. He knows full well that no team is going to pay him anywhere close to that amount, but he's been actively seeking out teams anyway.

I get the sense that at this point in Kelly's career, that money isn't that big of a deal with him, that he's just gotten so fed up with the recruiting, booster clubs, donors, all the extraneous stuff that a college football coach has to put up with that the pros don't that he feels it's not worth the extra money.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Bingo Dan!!!

Letting the other candidates know there re other experienced candidates for the job.

Rat

Reaction score
Ugh, I'm not a fan, but the rumor is that if he doesn't get the Seahawks job, he's going to be the next OC at Ohio State, so I guess I should start getting on board with him. Not sure what to root for; I guess it depends on which team he would less likely ruin.

James in PA

Reaction score
I wonder if John & MM are just waiting until after the SB to interview someone from the SF or KC staff. We're the only team still without an OC, correct? Couldn't hurt at this point to wait just a few more days with no other competition.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Will he, though? It's one thing to say it. It's another thing to do it. I don't think NFL teams want to pay him anywhere close to what he's currently making, which is why these NFL rumors have (probably) never progressed past interest. With that said, if Seattle were willing to pay him close to what he's making now and give him a long-term contract, I could see him taking less to be here. But I can't imagine a world where Chip Kelly takes a $3-4M pay cut and a demotion because he's tired of recruiting.
Maybe, maybe not. Job satisfaction is a powerful motivator, as is the lack of it. How many millions does he need? That's a question only he can answer, of course -- but if he really does dislike the current state of affairs in college head coaching as much as is indicated, making the leap for significantly less pay wouldn't surprise me.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
In defense of Chip Kelly, check out the offensive rankings of the NFL teams he was the head coach of.

Seasons of 2nd, 5th, 12th, and 31st overall offensively. The common thread is that he has NEVER led a bad rushing offense in the NFL. For better or for worse, he sticks to a physical brand of football which would seemingly mitigate some of the issues caused by an insane offensive tempo in his earlier years.

Looking at 2013 in particular here, this is the season where Nick Foles threw for 27 TDs and 2 INTs in a partial season under Kelly's playcalling, and this was with absolutely terrible talent at receiver. They were the best rushing team in the league that year behind Shady McCoy, who had the best year of his career in that, his fifth, season. 4th in amount of rushing attempts, but 1st in yards per rush. Vick was injured and did not contribute much, running for 300 yards on the year.

Look especially at the passing efficiency. 27th in total pass attempts yet still 9th best in yards and 5th most passing touchdowns, and that's with a backup quarterback playing most of that in Nick Foles!

2014 saw them maintain a good rushing offense. LeSean McCoy turned in what'd end up being his second most productive year. The Eagles were top ten in both passing attempts and rushing attempts, a function of their tempo. Efficiency did dip a bit, but this is STILL above-average offensive play (outside of the turnovers in the passing game) in both the passing and rushing attacks. This is with, again, below-average receiving talent outside of Jeremy Maclin. The quarterbacks were Nick Foles and Mark freakin' Sanchez.

Things fall off a bit in 2015, but the passing offense is better than it really should be with Sam Bradford and Mark Sanchez shouldering the load at quarterback and the rushing offense, while a bit less efficient without Shady McCoy on the roster, still is functional. Chip is fired right before the season ends at a 6-9 record, having won 10 games each of the previous years.

In 2016, he's saddled with the 49ers after York, Baalke, and Tomsula drove the team into the ground. He immediately fixes their rushing offense and turns it into a top attack. He's saddled with one of the worst rosters I've ever seen in professional sports. Chip gets mediocre yet safe production out of Colin Kaepernick, who tosses 16 TDs to 4 INTs but with a terrible YPA. The receiving corps is legitimately possibly the worst I've ever seen assembled in professional football, and the defense is last in every major category. He's fired after one 2 win year, but he had absolutely no shot in SF if they weren't willing to give it a few years. That roster was absolutely hopelessly putrid.

Chip Kelly has never had an offense underperform its talent level in the NFL, and arguably, his worst traits are those related to GM duties. What I see with Chip is a guy who'll come in, immediately maximize both our stud backs, mitigate our line issues, and do enough to keep the passing offense in decent shape.

Take away the rest of the responsibilities related to head coaching and just let this dude call plays and implement the scheme, and we're honestly probably rolling. He's never had even remotely the level of skill position talent that we do.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I was instantly upset when I heard about John's reported interest in Kelly. It sounded like an article from The Onion. I was NOT a fan of this.

After digging in more deeply to what he runs at UCLA, his background, and now his NFL results in context - he's my #1 pick for the job right now.

toffee

Reaction score
I think Kelly may be a very bad GM, a bad HC, but a good OC. He may be an introvert with questionable social and big picture skills, yet he is that crazy mad scientist. All based on what I have read about Kelly. I think Kelly can turn Geno into a top 5-10 QB.

knownone

Reaction score
Oh, I agree that no one is going to be paying their OC the $5.75M per year that Kelly is getting at UCLA. Hell, half of the head coaches in the league aren't making what he's getting paid at UCLA. He knows full well that no team is going to pay him anywhere close to that amount, but he's been actively seeking out teams anyway.

I get the sense that at this point in Kelly's career, that money isn't that big of a deal with him, that he's just gotten so fed up with the recruiting, booster clubs, donors, all the extraneous stuff that a college football coach has to put up with that the pros don't that he feels it's not worth the extra money.
It's a bit trickier than that, though. His contract at UCLA is almost fully guaranteed. So he could stop doing everything he dislikes, delegate everything else to his assistants, tank, whatever, and still get paid the remaining $20M on his contract. The only thing preventing him from earning his money is voluntarily opting out.

None of us know what he's thinking or what he values. So maybe you are right and he's so fed up that he's willing to sacrifice millions. But it looks to me like he and his agent are getting a feel for his market to make a move down the road. Barring an offer north of $4M/Year, I don't think there is any chance Chip will leave UCLA this season.

bigcc

Reaction score
I wonder if John & MM are just waiting until after the SB to interview someone from the SF or KC staff. We're the only team still without an OC, correct? Couldn't hurt at this point to wait just a few more days with no other competition.
I don't know either teams OC, but I hope that's the case or we are REALLY taking our time....

The combine is the 27, unless there's an unspoken deal time is ticking.

Unrelated, but the combine being just two weeks after the superbowl is ridiculous

RiverDog

Reaction score
It's a bit trickier than that, though. His contract at UCLA is almost fully guaranteed. So he could stop doing everything he dislikes, delegate everything else to his assistants, tank, whatever, and still get paid the remaining $20M on his contract. The only thing preventing him from earning his money is voluntarily opting out.

None of us know what he's thinking or what he values. So maybe you are right and he's so fed up that he's willing to sacrifice millions. But it looks to me like he and his agent are getting a feel for his market to make a move down the road. Barring an offer north of $4M/Year, I don't think there is any chance Chip will leave UCLA this season.
No college program is going to be successful if the head coach delegates all or most his recruiting responsibilities to an assistant. It's one of those tasks that's unavoidable. A recruit with multiple options is much more likely to sign with a team whose head coach is greasing him than one where it's some assistant doing the dirty work. Same with stroking booster clubs and donors. They're not going to contribute near as much money if some graduate assistant comes calling rather than the old man himself.

Why else would Kelly be so anxious to get away from the college game? Why is he marketing himself to NFL teams? If he could delegate anything he dislikes as you're suggesting, wouldn't you think that he'd already tried to do so?

sutz

Reaction score
My major concern with the delay is the Geno situation. We're coming down to the wire on that and obviously it would be a concern of the new OC.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The more I think about Kelly, the more I like him. He’s an offensive mind that probably won’t garner nearly as much attention in head coaching searches. He’s ran creative offenses and he learned how to slow his roll in college.

This guy knows how to craft a creative running game and get the most out of his QB. Foles looked like a stud under Kelly. When Wentz got injured people thought the Eagles were screwed. You know what saved the day? Chip Kelly’s scheme. Pederson stated that he went and watched old tape of him in Philly. You know what Pederson did? Copied Kelly’s playbook. Foles went onto have a Flaccoish run to the SB.

Long story, long, Kelly might be the secret sauce to a great offensive mind and a long term stability that we wouldn’t have under other talented OCs due to poaching. This could prove invaluable to developing a young QB, especially in Kelly’s run heavy offense.

SweepSanFran

Reaction score
Not a fan of Chip Dip, eventhough he had success at Oregon and was innovative none of his QB's have played well enough to keep a job in the NFL. When he was at Philly he was predictable and after the first year the rest of the league caught up with him and crushed him. His ideas about how practices were not condusive to having healthy players thoughout the season and i think there would be a bit of a power struggle with Frazier. I watched his Oregon teams closely and was never a fan. The wheels have absolutely come off at UCLA and he is looking for an out because he knows he wont compete in the Big10. Will get fired before the season ends at UCLA. I think there are better options still available and i am glad to see them taking their time. No need to rush this lets get right the first time.

RiverDog

Reaction score
My major concern with the delay is the Geno situation. We're coming down to the wire on that and obviously it would be a concern of the new OC.
The more I think about it, Mac and JS might have already decided what to do with regard to Geno, and if so, hiring an OC promptly wouldn't be as big of a deal.