Carson Strong (QB Nevada)

WmHBonney

Reaction score
What do you think? Will he be around in the 3rd or 4th round? I like this kid and I think we should grab him if he is still there in the 3rd/4th.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Not too excited. He's a big kid with a big arm, but not very mobile. One of his weaknesses is pre snap recognition and an ability to read defenses and diagnose blitzes. Combine that with his limited running ability, it could lead to a lot of negative plays.

OP
OP
WmHBonney

WmHBonney

Reaction score
His mobility was limited last year because he played with a bum leg/knee. He was supposed to sit out the entire season, let it heal and come back next year. This is why some of his mechanics are off. His knee should heal fine given some more time.

toffee

Reaction score
Don't think he is the second coming of Russell Wilson, not even a very poor men's version.

gabel

Reaction score
He really has a gun. I think he would be a perfect John Schneider pick. The only down side (opinion) is that he has a bad knee.

RiverDog

Reaction score
His mobility was limited last year because he played with a bum leg/knee. He was supposed to sit out the entire season, let it heal and come back next year. This is why some of his mechanics are off. His knee should heal fine given some more time.
He had a serious knee injury in his senior year in high school, too. Doesn't sound good.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I read somewhere that he has serious knee problems . . . found it, I think:

I've got no problem with a statue at QB, if you build the roster accordingly. Hard to imagine Pete being into it, though.
We once had a statute at quarterback. His name was Dan McQuire. You could actually see pigeon droppings on his jersey.

Sorry, this guy sounds like another JaMarcus Russell.

toffee

Reaction score
If he is available in third round, shall we? We did get lucky with a third round QB once ....

toffee

Reaction score
If we could get him in 3rd or later round, let him sit out a season behind Lock and Geno ....

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
We once had a statute at quarterback. His name was Dan McQuire. You could actually see pigeon droppings on his jersey.

Sorry, this guy sounds like another JaMarcus Russell.
The guy is nothing like JaMarcus Russell, in fact I think he is underrated as a prospect. I've watched every game he's had this year (available on youtube) and I think the guy is the most underrated QB prospect in the draft.

First of all, what was his knee problem? His knee issue is a genetic issue that shows up in adolescence and young adults. It is very painful and extremely hard to deal with. Fortunately, surgery has an extremely high chance to clear that up and it sounds like his knee is doing very good. I would not hesitate to draft him because of his knee.

The biggest knock on Carson Strong? His system and level of competition. He comes from the Air Raid offense. That means things are extremely easy for the QB. He doesn't have to look off receivers, in fact his big issue is he tends to stare them down too much. He can get away with it too, because his first read is usually open. Mahomes had some of the same questions coming from the Air Raid system. It's just the nature of the beast.

The positives? There is a lot to like about Strong. His accuracy and ball placement is on point. Despite playing on a bum knee, he made really high level throws that you're going to see on Sunday. He has a beautiful deep ball, he can do the rainbow pass or he can sling it in there. His short routes are also on point. The guy can make high level NFL throws that even some NFL QB's struggle with. This is usually a question mark when it comes to Air Raid passers, this is not one with Strong.

Pocket presence is also great. He has that internal timer in his head, he knows when he has to get rid of the ball. He also steps up in the pocket. He knows how to set up his blockers and manipulate the pocket. This is something you don't see often from college level prospects. It's something he had to learn playing on a bad knee.

The thing that stood out to me most about Strong is his grit. The guy is a tough SOB that had to claw for everything in the NCAA. He's had a lot of adversity and he's fought through it all, even toughing a season out on a bad knee. It was repaired 6 months before this season, Dr. told him to sit out, but he went out and played through immense pain. This grit also shows in his game film. Strong will sit in the pocket despite knowing he's about to take a huge hit and deliver an accurate pass. Pressure absolutely does not phase him. He's mentally strong. There is a certain moxie about the kid that I like, he is the farthest thing from Jamarcus Russell. The only thing that is similar is the arm strength.

I'd say Strong looks closer to a less mobile, less refined Matthew Stafford due to the air raid offense (Stafford came from a pro system). Strong is going to have to learn some of the finer nuances of the NFL. He needs to learn how to look off receivers, he's going to have to refine his footwork and he's going to have to get better at the pre-snap game as many of these things were never asked of him in his system or they were extremely dumbed down due to the nature of the air raid. That being said, a lot of those downsides could be said about just about everyone of the NFL QB prospects this year. Strong has a good head on his shoulders and he's a fighter. There is a lot to like about him when you watch the film.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
A lot to like about Strong. His arm, his ability to make all the throws- over the middle, to the sidelines, short, long or intermediate and a wiliness to use the whole field, good pocket presence, toughness. However he's a really high risk with lack of mobility, coming from a air raid offense, taking too many high risk throws, and of course the knee problem. If the Seahawks took him in the 3rd round guess I'd be OK with it but not smiling, 4th round I would be smiling , 5th round or later I'd be pumping my fist. I consider him a project with some good up side but with a lot of risk, so keep the investment small and it would be worth the gamble. Even with all the risks he brings I like him better then most of the QBs in this draft. I prefer the Seahawks actually pass on taking a QB this draft, but if they do let it be a small investment.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I prefer the Seahawks actually pass on taking a QB this draft, but if they do let it be a small investment.
That's my position, too. I would rather rebuild the framework for our next QBOTF and not risk burning them out on a skeleton team. Get the offensive and defensive lines in place and if a QB hasn't emerged, we can get more aggressive in finding one.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Strong is my favorite in this class. And can be had at a point where I think he’s worth taking a shot.

He’s not mobile, but has some of the best pocket presence of any QB in this class. He’s great at solving problems post snap, throwing the deep ball, and taking advantage of one on one’s. He also called plays at the line of scrimmage since his sophomore year.

Strongs red flags are medicals and accuracy. It’s hard to gauge the senior bowl reports but it sounds like Strong was up and down (so was Dak and RW fwiw).

I’m far more lenient on Strongs accuracy than Ridder because Strong played hurt last year and it affected his mechanics. And now that he’s healthy, that should correct. He did an interview after the seasons and talked about Jordan Palmer uses a method of tracking where velocity is generated on throws, and almost all of Strongs velocity is generated by his arm. And that has a lot to do with the warping of his mechanics over the course of a hurt season.

In the right situation, I think Strong can be a Top 10 QB in this league. I also think he has the arm and mindset to utilize Fant, DK, and Lockett to their fullness, which you won’t find in any other QB in this draft. Watch how Strong utilizes Doubs and Turner, and that translates to how he could use Fant and DK. And Lockett would work out routes all day with Strong.

Strong is also a guy that regularly moves the chains on 3rd and long. Which I think is impressive considering he can’t run to break down coverage.

The rest is the unknown. Stuff that you can’t project. How’s he going to handle the increased level of competition? How’s he going to take to a new offense? How’s he going to handle new teammates? None of which we can project.

But on the field, I think Strong can unlock maybe 70-80% of what the offense was the last 2 seasons, with the potential to grow if Pete and John could make the necessary investments to maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Strong is my favorite in this class. And can be had at a point where I think he’s worth taking a shot.

He’s not mobile, but has some of the best pocket presence of any QB in this class. He’s great at solving problems post snap, throwing the deep ball, and taking advantage of one on one’s. He also called plays at the line of scrimmage since his sophomore year.

Strongs red flags are medicals and accuracy. It’s hard to gauge the senior bowl reports but it sounds like Strong was up and down (so was Dak and RW fwiw).

I’m far more lenient on Strongs accuracy than Ridder because Strong played hurt last year and it affected his mechanics. And now that he’s healthy, that should correct. He did an interview after the seasons and talked about Jordan Palmer uses a method of tracking where velocity is generated on throws, and almost all of Strongs velocity is generated by his arm. And that has a lot to do with the warping of his mechanics over the course of a hurt season.

In the right situation, I think Strong can be a Top 10 QB in this league. I also think he has the arm and mindset to utilize Fant, DK, and Lockett to their fullness, which you won’t find in any other QB in this draft. Watch how Strong utilizes Doubs and Turner, and that translates to how he could use Fant and DK. And Lockett would work out routes all day with Strong.

Strong is also a guy that regularly moves the chains on 3rd and long. Which I think is impressive considering he can’t run to break down coverage.

The rest is the unknown. Stuff that you can’t project. How’s he going to handle the increased level of competition? How’s he going to take to a new offense? How’s he going to handle new teammates? None of which we can project.

But on the field, I think Strong can unlock maybe 70-80% of what the offense was the last 2 seasons, with the potential to grow if Pete and John could make the necessary investments to maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses.
I wouldn't say accuracy is a knock on him. Maybe he struggled during pro-day, but I didn't see very many throws from him where I said "wow, that was way off" in game time situations. Like I said, I watched a lot of his games (you can find them on youtube). You can also see JT O'Sullivan analysing 6 or so of his games from the perspective of a QB. His channel "QB school" is pretty awesome. You can also find him breakdown other QB's as well.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I wouldn't say accuracy is a knock on him. Maybe he struggled during pro-day, but I didn't see very many throws from him where I said "wow, that was way off" in game time situations. Like I said, I watched a lot of his games (you can find them on youtube). You can also see JT O'Sullivan analysing 6 or so of his games from the perspective of a QB. His channel "QB school" is pretty awesome. You can also find him breakdown other QB's as well.

So in general I’m not worried about his accuracy. I don’t think its a core problem.

But when his feet aren’t right, he tends to miss high. (RW did this too, it’s really not rare). But he’s more than accurate enough for the NFL.

RunDownhill

Reaction score
I would be good with QB Matt Corral if he fell to the 2nd round. Otherwise, the only other QB I want to take a flier on in this draft is Notre Dame QB Jake Coan. Coan can probably be had in the 4th round.