Carroll just comped Witherspoon to Polamalu…

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Pay attention.

The NFL is a passing league. See: Mahomes, Patrick.

The 2022 Seahawks were terrible against the pass.

Solution: Draft the best Cornerback with your 1st pick.

Note: Successful NFL teams do NOT draft based on need. They draft Best Player Available, barring Red Flags.

Jalen Carter had Red Flags galore. Worse Red Flags than Malik McDowell had, yet people are mad we didn't draft him.

"They were stupid to draft Malik McDowell... Idiots!

"They passed on Jalen Carter...Idiots!"

Me: "Huh?". 🤯

The Seahawks were absolutely atrocious against the run last season. Only the Bears and Texans were worse. Thats how teams were beating them last season.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I don’t like the pick mostly because there was no scenario I thought they’d take a DB that high with Carroll at the helm but Carter was passed up by 8 teams that said no to a generational talent if you include the Bears trading down.

I’ve seen Withersppon mocked as high as 3 and if he was still available I doubt he would have made it to 9. And the fact that the other CB mocked within the top 10 in Christian Gonzales fell to 17 or 18 makes me feel alot better about Witherspoon’s prospects.

I see why they did it though, Witherspoon is the embodiment of Seahawks football. Physical, tough, smart, instinctive and leaves everything on the field despite his size. If the plan is to move on from Diggs, Adams, and Wagner after this season Witherspoon is everything you look for in a leader and a culture setter. This guy is the future captain. The only other prospect that fit that bill was probably Will Anderson.

It feels like they knew Richardson was going 3rd or 4th and that Levis was not in the same conversation as the other 3 QBs. To me it feels their QBs they liked at 5 were Stroud or Richardson if they made it there. On defense, they not only wanted to draft a great football player but a guy that was capable of being a great leader. Anderson and Witherspoon were those guys.

So I can’t really hate it even if it wasn’t my preferred choice. But my preferred choices were all taken before 5.

Fade

Reaction score
The best of Honey Badger / Walter Thurmond Hybrid - after watching a few hours of film on him.

He can totally be a plus plus outside corner, but I think his best position would be inside at Nickel, like GOAT Nickel. But they just spent the 5th overall pick on him so he is playing outside regardless.

With Witherspoon and Woolen on the field at the same time the Seahawks would be fools to not run more man to man coverage. Please Seahawks, fit your scheme to your personnel for a change. Enough with the square pegs and round holes.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
This and add with Love we will run 3 safety sets with Adams playing a hybrid LB role. Witherspoon is a beast. They tried trading out and didn’t get value so took best available player/athlete.
Imagine we or a 200 pound guy and use him as a LB. That’s going to be interesting in the run game.

Latest posts