Carroll front and center at AR15’s pro day

JerHawk81

Reaction score
I can understand taking Richardson at #5. I'm not sure I love it, but I get it.

If we give up #20 to move from #5 to #3 to draft Richardson, that's awful. Frankly, if we make that move, it better be because one of the top two QBs fell to #3.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
There's no doubting his athleticism. Between back flips, 40 times and hitting the roof with his passes, it seems more circus act than franchise-caliber potential to me. But what do I know? Maybe we snag him and he ends up being our future star.

I live in Brazil, and in the aughts, I would occasionally watch the late-night talk show of a very famous comedian called Jô Soares. I remember one time when he had a young boy on the show as a guest, because the boy could do all kinds of crazy tricks with a soccer ball. First the kid did a bunch of his tricks, and then Jô talked to him. At the end of the segment, Jô said "I think you'll bring us all a lot of joy," meaning that the kid would do great things as a soccer player. I don't think the kid even turned into a professional soccer player. It turns out being able to do wild tricks with the ball is not the same thing as being able to help a soccer team win.

Similarly, a startlingly great athletic performance in the "underwear Olympics" or a pro day is not the same thing as being able to help a gridiron-football team win.

Cirmman

Reaction score
I live in Brazil, and in the aughts, I would occasionally watch the late-night talk show of a very famous comedian called Jô Soares. I remember one time when he had a young boy on the show as a guest, because the boy could do all kinds of crazy tricks with a soccer ball. First the kid did a bunch of his tricks, and then Jô talked to him. At the end of the segment, Jô said "I think you'll bring us all a lot of joy," meaning that the kid would do great things as a soccer player. I don't think the kid even turned into a professional soccer player. It turns out being able to do wild tricks with the ball is not the same thing as being able to help a soccer team win.

Similarly, a startlingly great athletic performance in the "underwear Olympics" or a pro day is not the same thing as being able to help a gridiron-football team win.
Muito bacana! Você é brasileiro ou se mudou para cá pelo trabalho/ família?

Bom demais saber que temos outro torcedor dos Hawks que mora no Brasil aqui no fórum! :)
Muito legal mesmo

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
The "adonis" QB will be available in next year's draft. We just have to manage our picks to get him.
I get the feeling there are some really young guys on here to have the take that 25 is old. I'm not against Richardson but I am against burning our #5 to get a project. We need serious defensive help NOW.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Never going to happen. Notice Tony Pauline said "Speculation." Not rumor, not word, not information. "Speculation." Lotsa clicks for Tony.

Arizona is NOT going to trade the #3 pick to a division rival when they desperately need defensive help, and have a rookie GM. AND, John Schneider is NOT going to trade away the draft capital it would take to move up to #3 where they'd be bidding against Indianapolis.

Richardson is a great athlete, but not a QB. Brock Huard said he didn't like the Pro Day, very unprofessional, laid back, guys just having fun, and no demonstration of simulated NFL type game situations.

Then, listen to John Schneider on Wyman and Bob. "Great athlete, but there are questions, 6 and 6 record as a starter..." When he was asked about drafting Richardson, or a QB, rather than answer he said "When we were re-signing Geno and Drew, we told them, "We rarely get to draft this high, and we might draft a QB, we don't know yet." But we kept them in the loop.

In other words, JS avoided the question and talked about Geno and Drew.

Richardson is going to be a bust. People are talking about him, the same way they were talking about Malik Willis. "Athletic! 1st Round Talent!" Malik sucked, bad. IMHO, Willis looked better in College than Anthony did.

Athleticism at the QB position is not a requirement to win in the NFL. Just ask Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. You have to be able to process what's going on, and deliver the ball to the receiver without getting them killed. This is why Stroud and Young will be drafted #1 and #2.

I think the "Speculation" came from the Seahawks, because it increases the value of the #5 draft pick. We don't have a team yet, and there are great QBs coming out next year. If we can get a 1st this year, and a 1st next year for our pick, then we're s'ittin' in tall cotton.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Arizona is NOT going to trade the #3 pick to a division rival when they desperately need defensive help, and have a rookie GM. AND, John Schneider is NOT going to trade away the draft capital it would take to move up to #3 where they'd be bidding against Indianapolis.
I don't think its as abaolute as this.

Arizona would absolutely consider this move IF they have Will Anderson rated as their only defensive target high in the draft. They'd be getting Will at 5 (QB almost certain at 4) and getting free capital from Seattle to do so.

Seattle is the ONLY team Arizona can trade with (other than Indy) who allows them to still get Anderson if the chips fall in the right places, and division rival or not, I think they'd be totally fine letting Seattle give them free picks to get the same exact player.

Also, Schneider isn't opposed to trading up. Seahawks.com itself divulged that they had a potential deal in place with the Giants last year in the top 10, and also tried to trade back into the first round with Green Bay later. When they have surplus capital and a target, they're going to try to snipe them.

There are multiple things that have to end up being true for this scenario to play out, but it's totally plausible.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I can understand taking Richardson at #5. I'm not sure I love it, but I get it.

If we give up #20 to move from #5 to #3 to draft Richardson, that's awful. Frankly, if we make that move, it better be because one of the top two QBs fell to #3.
Bryce Young is just too tiny for me. I'd take Richardson over him straight-up.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
Bryce Young is just too tiny for me. I'd take Richardson over him straight-up.
I know some people agree with you. Personally, I rank Young as one of the top 3-4 QB prospects the last few years (and still a distant second to Stroud this year). But, I tend to prefer film over measurables or the pre-draft experience, which is why I'm so high on Stroud and Young, and less high on Richardson.

Granted, we would agree if Richardson develops, he has potential that has never been seen in the NFL.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I know some people agree with you. Personally, I rank Young as one of the top 3-4 QB prospects the last few years (and still a distant second to Stroud this year). But, I tend to prefer film over measurables or the pre-draft experience, which is why I'm so high on Stroud and Young, and less high on Richardson.

Granted, we would agree if Richardson develops, he has potential that has never been seen in the NFL.
I definitely think Young is the better quarterback overall, and I think he has admirable IT factor and a bit of ice in his veins. I'm just scared to death of his body.

His height comes with disadvantages that can be worked around, but his slight build is what spooks me. I just can't see him holding up. I like him lots otherwise.