Can I say it?

Hawknight

Reaction score
So far with this free agency period and may be a bit premature, still have the upcoming draft..but can we once again reign over the 49ers..I'm starting to feel we are much closer than most people think. Still work to do I know...but man....I haven't been this excited in quite sometime about the upcoming season. Just my 2 cents...carry on.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
P&J are swinging for the fences and they're knocking the ball out of the park. They're going all Julio-Rodriguez in FA thus far. WOW!!

Getting rid of Me3 is WAY in the rear-view mirror now. I'm absolutely loving this roster re-build.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
So far with this free agency period and may be a bit premature, still have the upcoming draft..but can we once again reign over the 49ers..I'm starting to feel we are much closer than most people think. Still work to do I know...but man....I haven't been this excited in quite sometime about the upcoming season. Just my 2 cents...carry on.
Preach brother.

I feel like we're gonna be legit contenders this year.

Jesus - FA has been like a wet dream.

Another post mentions that JS and PC feel like they are running the show again. Nail on the head. Remember a while ago when I said "Look at the pressers from late 2021 after RW3 came back after the finger."? Looked like PC had a freaking gun in his mouth: "Russ is just doing what Russ does."

Well, they are no longer hamstrung, took a year to figure it out, and we're Owl bound baby.

Nice. Nice. Nice. Finally the handcuffs are off. Now just let waldron call the plays for the back half of the season, and we're set!!!!!

I just wanna see another cameo appearance by Holmey in the draft room this year!!!!

sutz

Reaction score
You can say pretty much what you want, within reason, of course.

Frankly, I agree. This FA season has been eye-opening TBS. And yes, I'm stoked for this season to start.

GGotskill

Reaction score
Considering they are still just getting going...most promising offseason in a while. You know the Hawks will continue to be actively engaged in free agency leading up to (and after) the draft. Exciting times as a Hawks fan.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. These last 2 off seasons just feel a LOT different. The draft was amazing last year, and if we come even CLOSE to that in this upcoming draft, they absolutely can contend for the division in 2023.
I didn't feel that way a couple weeks back. The gap is closing quickly imo.
Great post Hawknight.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
We're already competitive with the Niners and with so many top-end draft picks we have a chance at some real long-term talents. If Geno can give us 3 solid years we have a real window.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Only if we get two more solid pass rushers will I then proclaim our competitiveness with the 49ers.

Until then, there's a gulf of talent between these two teams

seatownlowdown

Reaction score

that's the year i think the hawks can overtake 49ers for the division crown. right now 49ers are the better team on paper. they have a veteran roster in win-now mode. hargrave was a nice signing for them. post draft? 49ers probably still the better team. 49ers don't have any high picks, but still have 10 to work with in the draft to fill holes on the cheap.

eventually the wheels will come off for the 49ers. bosa will cost them ~40m a year starting in 2024. their all-pro LT williams will be 35 and this is probably in his last season. the right side of their Oline is currently weak and susceptible. jimmy ward, a team leader, left to the texans. kittle will soon be 30. their new DT hargrave is already 30. armstead nearly 30. CMC will be 27 which is the plateau for RBs and already has had 2 season-ending acl tears and has reported knee pains. hearing that they will soon have to start trading away proven commodities like ayiuk. kyle shanahan get his QBs hurt... and oh, almost forgot... they still don't have a legit QB1 on the roster after sinking 3 1sts and a 3rd into trey "goofy" lance. and then we gotta wonder how many more playoff exits and lost seasons with a loaded roster jed york will endure before he cuts ties with shanahan. they only long-term issue i see is that 49ers have john lynch, who is a sharp GM that should keep their roster competitive.

so the 49ers are set to fall off a bit sooner than later. rams/cards look like cellar dwellers for the next couple seasons. in the meantime PC/JC can keep building up this roster. draft picks need to hit. they still need to get bad contracts like jamal adams off the books. PC and clint hurtt still need to figure out our defense's identity, and improve the defensive playcalling. good chance we dramatically improve the defense and return to the playoffs this year.

Last edited:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Only if we get two more solid pass rushers will I then proclaim our competitiveness with the 49ers.

Until then, there's a gulf of talent between these two teams

This. The Niners have a great defense while Seattle is still trying to figure theirs out. So far the gap hasent tilted any.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, feels like they are 2 years out from being a legit contender. But they are def. closing the gap. Niners are still loaded.
But, with their QB situation, you never know.

OP
OP
Hawknight

Hawknight

Reaction score
I can't keep thinking ...we almost had their number in that last playoff game...that was with our previous defense...now revamped a bit...just perhaps..we are closer than we think....their QB is the main question mark for them. I'm saying it now..I think Purdy was a one year hit wonder...people have film on him now...maybe he'll prove me wrong...time will tell all.

Weadoption

Reaction score
the Niners may or may not stop you from getting more super bowls wins, but those 3 super quarterbacks in the AFC are more to worry about as far as the final hurdle.
I get it, gotta win the division first, get in the tournament, stay healthy, draft smart, etc.
But that bitch Mahomes, Allen and to a lesser extent Burrow are the real problems.
Niners were a top 4 team, who cares.
Eagles were 2nd place, nice season.