Bruce Irvin the difference maker with our defense?

Hawknight

Reaction score
As our defense struggled early on in the season. I can't help to think since we brought back Bruce Irvin he may have been the answer in turning our defense around. Perhaps his leadership/experience helped turn this defense around and just maybe it was Irvin who lit a fire under this defenses arse.

It just seemed to be about the same time when Irvin arrived and was he the difference maker....any thoughts?

sc85sis

Reaction score
I don't think Bruce is the reason, but he's definitely contributed leadership as well as good play. Getting Ryan Neal back from injury also was key. But the tweaked the way they're playing gaps, and that was crucial.

sutz

Reaction score
There were several things that happened about that time. They made some key adjustments to scheme and Ryan Neal got back on the field. Irvin was a big boost as well, though. Even the young kids could identify with the "old timer" and even if they didn't know him directily, a quick google would tell them the history. His work ethic and willingness to be a 'coach on the field' type has a lot to do with it.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I think it's been a bit of addition by subtraction. Darrell Taylor was just plain terrible as the starting base defense outside linebacker. Both Mafe and Irvin have been an improvement.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Def. a good addition. Keep that rotation fresh. And he looks strong. Been throwing lineman around.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
As our defense struggled early on in the season. I can't help to think since we brought back Bruce Irvin he may have been the answer in turning our defense around. Perhaps his leadership/experience helped turn this defense around and just maybe it was Irvin who lit a fire under this defenses arse.

It just seemed to be about the same time when Irvin arrived and was he the difference maker....any thoughts?
Well - I'm a newb, and I read now in some articles about how we've largely abandoned the 3-4 concept. But honestly I'm not strong enough on X and Os to really read some things at full speed.

Seems like 'around' the same time.

I think he's made a huge difference. Both as a leader, and some of the plays I've managed to see him make. I swear game before last he was, again, a shoelace away from a sack on half the plays in the 3rd quarter. Dude hasn't lost it, unless I'm missing something - and I could be.

I'm happy for the leadership on D. He loves the team. It shows. That HAS to rub off.

willyrobt

Reaction score
Bruce is having fun and getting paid for it. Don't get better than that.

toffee

Reaction score
Penny's started his dominance after we signed Peterson, our defense started to dominate after we signed Bruce. Old farts can help the team in many different ways, the right sort of old farts of course. If Hawks signs ole toffee, the team will quit playing, for sure.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Penny's started his dominance after we signed Peterson, our defense started to dominate after we signed Bruce. Old farts can help the team in many different ways, the right sort of old farts of course. If Hawks signs ole toffee, the team will quit playing, for sure.
They will move the team to accommodate you. Like, next door....really really. Sometimes all it takes is a bit of experience in scheme to see what needs to happen for the younger players to coalesce into a balanced unit.