Bears Den -- Week #18

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Ballard is on orders from Irsay to get this done. Most of the speculation now is about what player Poles might get in the deal. I just started a poll on the Bears forum entitled “What Colt would most help the Bears?”
Choices:

-Pittman
-Buckner
-Nelson
-Other

How would you Vote?

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I would consider Pittman to be a possession type of receiver who did run a 4.5 40 coming out of USC which I consider good enough. Definitely better than Claypool who I have no confidence with. You are right considering the lack of QB and instability of the Colts pretty good production

I wouldn’t hate the move, when you think about it is there a receiver that the Bears could draft who could be better?
The Bears are so weak at WR, they need to add more even if Pittman is part of the trade. I would expect there will be a good WR available at #35, if the Colts trade happens.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Ballard is on orders from Irsay to get this done. Most of the speculation now is about what player Poles might get in the deal. I just started a poll on the Bears forum entitled “What Colt would most help the Bears?”
Choices:

-Pittman
-Buckner
-Nelson
-Other

How would you Vote?
From her on out to the draft I wouldn’t believe any rumor you might hear it’s all smoke. I don’t see the Colts giving up Buckner or Nelson unless Ballard thinks their ability has diminished or is about to

The Colts could stay at #4 and get either Young, Stroud or Levis and retain all of the 3 players listed. IMO the QBs in this draft class are not worth selling the farm for. Going from #4 to #1 is 1200 points comparable to a mid 1st rd pick

On the Bears board are the saying Colts 1st rd pick+ one of the players listed or is it more?

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
The mock draft 2.0 on The Athletic has the Bears getting #4 and #35 in 2023 and Colts first round pick in 2024. There is some speculation elsewhere that Pittman may be part of the deal.

Yes, the Colts can just stay at #4 and get one of those 3 if they have no preference and the Raiders or Panthers don’t trade up to #3 to get ahead of them if they and Colts both want the same QB. Statistically, over the last 25 years, there was no trade down 40% of the time, so that’s possible. But if I had to bet right now, I think there will be a Colts trade.

The rumor I’m not believing is that the Colts want Levis. He reminds me too much of Trubisky.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
The mock draft 2.0 on The Athletic has the Bears getting #4 and #35 in 2023 and Colts first round pick in 2024. There is some speculation elsewhere that Pittman may be part of the deal.

Yes, the Colts can just stay at #4 and get one of those 3 if they have no preference and the Raiders or Panthers don’t trade up to #3 to get ahead of them if they and Colts both want the same QB. Statistically, over the last 25 years, there was no trade down 40% of the time, so that’s possible. But if I had to bet right now, I think there will be a Colts trade.

The rumor I’m not believing is that the Colts want Levis. He reminds me too much of Trubisky.
My guess for the Raiders if they do draft a QB it would be Tanner McKee of Stanford he fits Josh McDaniels system well.Raiders need defense more than a QB and for Carolina to trade up would be too much for what they would get ( at least three 1st rd pics)

As far as the trade possibility with the Colts I would expect 1st rd picks in 2023 and 2024 and the 2023 #35 or Pittman not both

I was watching the Bear Down YouTube channel today and they were talking about adding Pittman, Quinton Nelson, Deforest Buckner ( 1 of the 3) if they did add a player it would be Pittman. I am not sure they do that he is their #1 WR the Colts have a pretty bare roster

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
The new wildcard is Lamar Jackson. I saw today that he may not be going back to the Ravens. And we don’t know where D. Carr will land. They will shake up the QB derby.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
The new wildcard is Lamar Jackson. I saw today that he may not be going back to the Ravens. And we don’t know where D. Carr will land. They will shake up the QB derby.
Signing Lamar as a FA seems like a huge investment.

Not only is he going to want top dollar and guarantees, the team is going to have to commit to a Greg Roman style of offense. Not sure if the offensive personnel have to be tailored to the system or if it’s mostly play calling?

Does Baltimore part with Roman so the new team scoops him up or do they try to maintain the system with lesser than god like twitch QB play?

Lots of risk for a player / system that hasn‘t gone deep in the playoffs.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I follow the Ravens they are my favorite AFC team and somewhat local to me. The Ravens fan base is divided on Lamar Jackson some think give him his salary demands that he deserves it the others are upset that they feel Lamar should have been playing/been at the playoff game vs the Bengals. The pro Lamar crowd also hate Greg Roman and want him fired blaming him for everything

IMO I think the Ravens will franchise Lamar than trade him from what I have heard Atlanta is the strongest possibility. Lamar is breaking down I am using Cam Newton as a model and expect Lamar to be done by the age of 30 he is presently 26. Lamar is very focused on the fully guaranteed contract that Watson got and his demands start there and wants more

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Signing Lamar as a FA seems like a huge investment.

Not only is he going to want top dollar and guarantees, the team is going to have to commit to a Greg Roman style of offense. Not sure if the offensive personnel have to be tailored to the system or if it’s mostly play calling?

Does Baltimore part with Roman so the new team scoops him up or do they try to maintain the system with lesser than god like twitch QB play?

Lots of risk for a player / system that hasn‘t gone deep in the playoffs.
Lamar won’t become a FA if not signed he will be franchised and traded. I expect the Ravens to retain Roman no matter what they really like the run heavy pass to the TEs they have 2 very good ones I really like their blocking schemes where they like to pull the off side guard and tackle it reminds me of what the Redskins used to do in the 70s and 80s

Lamar could succeed in a different system just don’t expect him to make multiple reads in the passing game treat him more like a college QB

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I follow the Ravens they are my favorite AFC team and somewhat local to me. The Ravens fan base is divided on Lamar Jackson some think give him his salary demands that he deserves it the others are upset that they feel Lamar should have been playing/been at the playoff game vs the Bengals. The pro Lamar crowd also hate Greg Roman and want him fired blaming him for everything

IMO I think the Ravens will franchise Lamar than trade him from what I have heard Atlanta is the strongest possibility. Lamar is breaking down I am using Cam Newton as a model and expect Lamar to be done by the age of 30 he is presently 26. Lamar is very focused on the fully guaranteed contract that Watson got and his demands start there and wants more
There are a couple similarities between Lamar and Roquan Smith. They both had no professional agent representing them in the negotiations. Both want a contract that the GM refuses to accept. Poles did not want to trade Smith, but when you have an unhappy player who will not negotiate his demands, that is sometimes the best solution for the team. Lamar may be going that direction.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
There are a couple similarities between Lamar and Roquan Smith. They both had no professional agent representing them in the negotiations. Both want a contract that the GM refuses to accept. Poles did not want to trade Smith, but when you have an unhappy player who will not negotiate his demands, that is sometimes the best solution for the team. Lamar may be going that direction.
After Roquan joined the Raven’s the defense drastically improved. Do you know what his salary demands were with the Bears? The Ravens love Roquan and value defense

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
After Roquan joined the Raven’s the defense drastically improved. Do you know what his salary demands were with the Bears? The Ravens love Roquan and value defense
He was focused on Shaq Leonard’s contract, and wanted $20 million/year. Poles wanted him and says he made a good offer, but knew they would never agree. I see Lamar focused on Watson’s contract like Roquan was on Leonard’s. Same problem.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I agree with those similarities 1 thing I will add there seems to be player/team issue that is comparable to Russell Wilson /Pete Carroll. Harbaugh is visibly frustrated with the situation.

One QB to watch in the near future is Herbert of the Chargers, Spanos is very cheap and may want to trade him for a haul i stead of extending himi if that is the case you may see a bidding war that the NFL has never seen

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I agree with those similarities 1 thing I will add there seems to be player/team issue that is comparable to Russell Wilson /Pete Carroll. Harbaugh is visibly frustrated with the situation.

One QB to watch in the near future is Herbert of the Chargers, Spanos is very cheap and may want to trade him for a haul i stead of extending himi if that is the case you may see a bidding war that the NFL has never seen
That’s not just cheap — it’s stupid.

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Pocic had a good year with the Browns. If they do not resign him, how much money should Poles offer him?

Opinions welcome!

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
The Bears must find a center. When I suggested Pocic, the objection was “he’s never played a full season in his life.” To me, the more important factor is how well the guy can play. He would be a clear upgrade to Mustipher and Patrick. Poles has $110 million cap space, so could easily afford a 4 yr. contract at $7 million/yr.

BASF

Reaction score
The Bears must find a center. When I suggested Pocic, the objection was “he’s never played a full season in his life.” To me, the more important factor is how well the guy can play. He would be a clear upgrade to Mustipher and Patrick. Poles has $110 million cap space, so could easily afford a 4 yr. contract at $7 million/yr.
I am one of the very few Seahawks fans that think Pocic is good, but I don't think he is worth that much money. Also, there is supposed to be several very good centers in the draft this year. I have watched several videos of five of them and think they will be day one starters.

morgulon1

Reaction score
A king's ransom for who exactly? I need a name. Joe Burrow isn't in this draft.

NFL teams showed surprising restraint last year for the first time maybe ever by not drafting a bunch of 3rd rd QBs in the 1st rd.

There is no one in this draft worth the #1 pick. There is a reason when the Bears secured the pick, immediately the talk was to trade down.

It only takes one, however, teams are wising up a bit as their is a recent track record of trading up for the franchise QB and it not working out.

RGIII
Goff
Wentz
Lance

Then you have to look at the teams and where they are positioned.

CHI - DL/ED
HOU - Bryce Young
AZ - CJ Stroud (Prime position to move down imo)
IND - Will Levis
SEA - DL/ED

I could see a ATL, CAR, or TB moving up to 3 to take Stroud. Which will not cost as much as moving all the way up to #1. Especially in a draft that doesn't have that Manning, Elway, esque prospect.

Seattle has the draft ammo. Do you want to see them move up for these QBs?
I don't want them to move up for one of these qbs. Too many risks .

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I am one of the very few Seahawks fans that think Pocic is good, but I don't think he is worth that much money. Also, there is supposed to be several very good centers in the draft this year. I have watched several videos of five of them and think they will be day one starters.
So which of the 5 centers you’ve seen do you like best?
Do you think the Seahawks will bid for him?