BBK gone

Chuckwow

Reaction score
100% football player. Speed / size be damned. Great instincts and always around the ball. I sincerely hope he gets another shot. If not with us, then with someone else, because BBK is everything right about competition and every sport needs never quit, try hard overachievers. BBK was that and more at the Dub and showed he could compete at the next level (imo).

Scout

Reaction score
BBK was a borderline player and it didn't work out. But this opens the door for others to step up now.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
BBK was a special-teams stud. That is worth a lot, and he was a back-up LBer, too. He'll be missed.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Anyone remember "backup linebacker" Heath Farwell (IIRC) making a game-saving tackle vs. the Rams a few years back in a goal line stand that preserved a (fugly) Hawks win? Serviceable backup linebackers can come in handy in key moments when front-line guys go down. BBK strikes me as that kind of guy.

I thought BBK had a decent fast-ish 40 time, 4.5/4.6, am I wrong? Did his 40 speed not translate to game speed?

Maybe BBK is just one of those guys whose body is just not built to stand up to the daily battering of the NFL. LB is one of those spots that has a LOT of wear and tear, colliding with 300 pounders on nearly every play. Sounds like he has a chronic, ongoing injury and Pete's not worried about other teams snapping up an injured BBK. I still have a Lofa Tatupu jersey, a guy who supposedly wasn't big enough or fast enough, but just made plays, and called defensive signals for the 2005 Hawks SBXL team as a rookie, IIRC. Tatupu's body wasn't able to stand up to the NFL and maintain performance for more than a small handful of seasons either. Same story for that Bosworth guy who got a "bust" rap for the same reason, and was actually pretty damn good when healthy.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
BBK was released injured and b/c he was on his rookie contract the correct designation for him would be waived injured. He had some nerve surgery as part of his injury last season which will take some time to resolve. He will unless claimed by another team revert to the team's IR list being a player waived injured. If he is done there may be a injury settlement for him as will be the case with Chris Carson.

In short it is possible he could return.

sutz

Reaction score
BBK was released injured and b/c he was on his rookie contract the correct designation for him would be waived injured. He had some nerve surgery as part of his injury last season which will take some time to resolve. He will unless claimed by another team revert to the team's IR list being a player waived injured. If he is done there may be a injury settlement for him as will be the case with Chris Carson.

In short it is possible he could return.
I believe that BBK has to sit out this season from this sequence. Hopefully he gets a full recovery.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Sutz, I am not sure you are right b/c he was waived. If he recovered before the season is up, reaches an injury settlement, and is ready to play and the team has a need he could be re-signed and play this year.

in all likelihood though he looks to be out for the best part of the year.

sc85sis

Reaction score
He was playing great in preseason last year before the injury. He made it through waivers to IR, so we'll see if he ends up back on the roster. I'd think if he can get healthy he'd have a spot for his special teams play and as LB depth.