Are we in the Worst Case Scenario?

Are we in the middle of the Worst Case Scenario?

• Yes

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • No

Votes: 36 65.5%

• Total voters

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Over the years some of us have discussed the possibility that Wilson leaves and we are stuck with a stubborn, aging and prideful Pete Carroll and his GM lapdog in Schneider. After winning 3 playoff games in SIX years during the prime of RW's career we now have a question mark at QB and a coach that thinks we can get back to the Super Bowl. LOLOLOL. Delusional. If we could not do it the last six year - even getting to the Conference Championship game - what makes him think we will even get that far? His spectacular draft record the last few years? Trading picks for one year rentals we don't resign? His (in)ability to beat good teams in the playoffs? Signing cast offs and projects and old players and the oft injured. Don't forget losing our better players and overpaying the ones we keep like Dissley (with Diggs being the infrequant correct thing they have done) His micromanaging of the playcalling? His hiring of "yes" men?

He has Jody hoodwinkded. This is turning into a Mr. Bean parody where it is a surprise if they ever do anything right.

I don't think anything could be worse than it is right now.

Fade

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":393jwtd3 said:
Over the years some of us have discussed the possibility that Wilson leaves and we are stuck with a stubborn, aging and prideful Pete Carroll and his GM lapdog in Schneider. After winning 3 playoff games in SIX years during the prime of RW's career we now have a question mark at QB and a coach that thinks we can get back to the Super Bowl. LOLOLOL. Delusional. If we could not do it the last six year - even getting to the Conference Championship game - what makes him think we will even get that far? His spectacular draft record the last few years? Trading picks for one year rentals we don't resign? His (in)ability to beat good teams in the playoffs? Signing cast offs and projects and old players and the oft injured. Don't forget losing our better players and overpaying the ones we keep like Dissley (with Diggs being the infrequant correct thing they have done) His micromanaging of the playcalling? His hiring of "yes" men?

He has Jody hoodwinkded. This is turning into a Mr. Bean parody where it is a surprise if they ever do anything right.

Yes. Absentee ownership. Jody handed the keys to Carroll when he got his 5 year extension.

Most of the fanbase is done with Pete's act. And the Kool-Aid drinkers :179422: will come around very soon (give it a season or two.)

But here is the scary thing. Jody might not care, and just trust in Pete and continue to allow him run the franchise into the ground. It's spooky to see how many, though they are a vocal minority to be sure, are excited to return to what it was like in the 90's with the Seahawks. Growing up in the PNW I was literally the only Seahawks fan in my school. It's unreal to see the hankering to go back to that.

2022: We just traded Wilson! Gotta give it some time!

2023: We just drafted a QB! Gotta give it some time!

2024: It's his first full year starting! Gotta give it some time!

2025: He got injured! Wait 'til next year!

2026: This is the year! Put up or shut up!

2027 is the earliest I expect to see any actual change. Could be longer. Draft a QB this year it could move the timeline up 1 year, big whoop.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Devil's Advocate. Try not to laugh me out of the building...

Let's say we roll with Lock. He wins the job outright. Let's say if, BIG IF, based on recent history, Carson and/or Penny et al, can stay healthy, providing that much needed bruising running game PC covets, keeping the offense on the field, the defense off of it, keeping opposing defenses honest, taking pressure off of Lock to be the hero all the time, freeing up positive yards off of play action, getting the ball out fast and efficiently. Perhaps not an offense that would make many highlight reels, but efficient and productive.

By golly Watson my good man it's so crazy it could work.

Hyak

Reaction score
It comes down to whether the team solves the QB situation. Whether it be Lock, a draftee, someone in trade - you don't win without at least good QB play. If Pete and John get it resolved, they'll be fine. if not, they are likely gone by 2024/2025.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I'm going to agree with 2027.

It isn't enough to fail.

They have to fail enough that people stop buying tickets and merch.

That will take a few years. Merch sales are already tanking but tickets will sell as long as people have excuses for him.

The worst case is when he leaves, we are stuck with tons of dead money, and we have few draft picks to rebuild with.

Because you cannot attract a good coach to replace him with if you don't have anything that coach can build with.

So not only will Carroll be gone, but we will be a 3rd tier option for available coaches (if not worse).

That gives you the choice between an unproven guy that isn't an up & comer, or a retread. Based on her decision with Carroll, Jodie is probably going to pick a retread.

This means the next guy likely fails too.

And we won't just need a coach but a GM. Good luck getting lucky replacing both.

The drought timer STARTS in 2027, who knows how many coaches and GMs it will take to emerge from it though.

Elemas

Reaction score
5-12 this season.

Hopefully, we’ll get a clean slate within the next 5 years or so. That includes the ownership and FO.

In the meantime, there’s more excitement than there’s ever been. What a strange predicament. :3-1:

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Aros":1elsngr3 said:

Let's say we roll with Lock. He wins the job outright. Let's say if, BIG IF, based on recent history, Carson and/or Penny et al, can stay healthy, providing that much needed bruising running game PC covets, keeping the offense on the field, the defense off of it, keeping opposing defenses honest, taking pressure off of Lock to be the hero all the time, freeing up positive yards off of play action, getting the ball out fast and efficiently. Perhaps not an offense that would make many highlight reels, but efficient and productive.

I am not laughing. I am hoping with you. I actually want to see what Lock brings to the team. Does he make an effort to use the middle half of the field? Can he hit the short throws? Can he hit enough longer ones to keep them honest (he wont hit them like RW but most cant) Can we bring Penny back on a Fair deal and he actually turn into what he showed at the end of the season? Do we finally draft some IMMedite help that dont miss half the season. Do we make a good decision with the 9 pick and not blow it by trading down three times and taking quantity over quality. Do we NOT reach for a QB but wait for the Liberty QB to drop to our 2nd pick or trade up slightly to get him? Do we have a more aggressive defense that pressure the QB and knocks them on their asses from time to time.

I am excited to see how it unfolds. I think Lock will turn out better than expected this year,

I just dont have any faith left in PC and JS.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
This team has no QB.

Plan on it sucking perpetually. Maybe we'll get lucky somewhere along the way, but the probabilities are very much against the Seahawks.

You can build an amazing defense and run game and have a QB completely sink the whole think (Bortles, Jaguars).

The most likely event is we'll just have to find entertainment in the little things like we used to before Holmgren got here. If you're over 50 you might not live to see this team be really good or great again.

Elemas

Reaction score
bmorepunk":35i8ajr5 said:
This team has no QB.

Plan on it sucking perpetually. Maybe we'll get lucky somewhere along the way, but the probabilities are very much against the Seahawks.

You can build an amazing defense and run game and have a QB completely sink the whole think (Bortles, Jaguars).

The most likely event is we'll just have to find entertainment in the little things like we used to before Holmgren got here. If you're over 50 you might not live to see this team be really good or great again.

49 here! Yes!!! Stoked!! :p

rcaido

Reaction score
Its going to be the 90s all over again...i dont mind the team sucking, we deserve it for treating all the greats we had on our team like Jags. Sherm, Thomas, Bennet, Wright, Wilson, & Wagner left in bad terms.

They need to just nuke the seahawks from top to bottom. A brand new fresh start.

Rat

Reaction score
rcaido":q8q60atu said:
Its going to be the 90s all over again...i dont mind the team sucking, we deserve it for treating all the greats we had on our team like Jags. Sherm, Thomas, Bennet, Wright, Wilson, & Wagner left in bad terms.

In each of those situations, the player was well-compensated and it was time to move on. So far, Sherman is the only one to have considerable success with another team. Being over 30 and coming off an ACL tear; I think a lot of teams wouldn't have thought it was worth the risk. You can't just pay these guys forever because they were great once.

Fade

Reaction score
Aros":xm43c0w6 said:

Lock isn't good. But let's say they get a more competent guy like Baker Mayfield. Limit Baker to 20 throws a game, he could be good I think in Pete's setup. So they solved the QB, yay! Hold on…

Penny last year down the stretch was amazing. But here is the dirty little secret on him. He did it against soft boxes. 80+% of his runs came against a soft box. Teams were playing a 2 high shell to stop Russ from beating them deep. Daring the Seahawks to run. Penny did, and did it well indeed.

With Wilson gone, they are going to load the box, and dare the QB to beat them. Penny is going to be the guy opponents gameplan for. Penny doesn't strike me as a sledgehammer that can grind out the tough yards on a down to down basis given what they'll face. Carson has a neck injury, he is finished. So now you're going to need at the very least another significant pick at RB, or two, to get the running game where they're going to need it.

But yeah, if they get all of the above right, with Baker Mayfield they can be a 9 win team, and quickly get bounced in the playoffs, if they even make it, whoo!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This is such a negative thread.

In summary: The team has zero chance with Pete here, as the consensus of the Anti-Peters. Everything wrong with the team can’t be corrected, all the coaching staff are blind ass yes men to PC and accordingly weak coaches. Woe is us b/c with Pete here there will be no new ideas from our old fashioned HC, etc., etc., etc..

Frankly these views are not factually supported. The team has had a very solid record since Carroll arrived. It is true that his once very good D has been figured out.

However, last season the team got a new OC, and at times the O looked good, or started to when they could, you know run the ball, all this despite PC. This offseason the DC was let go, and a new direction has been mandated for the D as the team is switching to a predominant 3-4 scheme. There is a whole new defensive coaching staff leading a change over to a non- Carroll scheme defensively. The 4-3 players deemed not likely to be fits, too expensive, or to old are gone. For sure I wasn’t overjoyed with the release of Wagner but he was no longer worth his rather large contract and was a pure sensible cap cut? There are still many obvious holes that are needing to be filled. Thankfully it is early still. New directions appear to be happening.

A QB who agitated to be traded has been traded before he was lost to the team as he had indicated he wouldn’t re-sign here for a bounty of draft picks and a few good players a place-holding young and cheap QB who isn’t likely to be more than than as aforesaid has replaced him. Let’s see if he can do anything in the new scheme instead of just wanting to throw deep like his predecessor. To repeat that guy didn’t want to be here. The reality of this trade has yet to be realized, but naturally a potential HOF QBs loss will bite at a critical position. The return on this trade will take a few seasons to be evident. The eventual successor is still unknown. Assuming the negative is somewhat closed minded thinking. Finding a replacement for RW won’t be easily accomplished. It isn’t easy to replace HOF quaility players. However simply he wanted out and wasn’t all into the team but rather into his advancement. It was time to have traded him. The team found him and could find a capable replacement.

At present the team has 4 picks in the top 72 this upcoming draft up from 2 and possibly to turn into more if Trader John can work some magic. Next year they have at least 5 picks in the top 3 rounds. Of course the APers will take the view that the team screws up every draft so we are screwed. The team however, drafted Okung, Thomas, Sherman, Wagner, Wilson, Lockett, Metcalf, Carson, and many many other excellent players.. So they actually can recognize talent. This year’s pick in the 1st rd. allows a very high quality comparatively inexpensive young addition to the team. In the end this trade may determine their legacy and the draft returns are critical there. All their prior success will be irrelevant.

I would like to see more FA activity on the OLine at OT but it appears the team has committed to a two year reset, rebuild or whatever you call it. So far it seems the team has decided to amortize most all of the dead cap this offseason thus next season the FA and or trade market is wide open with very little dead cap being in the way.

I for sure don’t think this is a worst case situation at all. Maybe some rethinking is needed without the preconceived AP bias. It’s still very early.

Last edited:

nanomoz

Reaction score

Let's wait and see what happens in the draft and I'll get back to you. But, yeah. I woulda preferred canning Pete and building around Russ for another Superb Owl run.