Are we better off with this pick?

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
I love the Haynes pick in the 3rd. This seems natural, as he's a true RG and stud. Could this be a better pick over drafting Fautanu at 16, who was a LT and projected as a G?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I love the Haynes pick in the 3rd. This seems natural, as he's a true RG and stud. Could this be a better pick over drafting Fautanu at 16, who was a LT and projected as a G?
I believe that the answer lies in comparing the impact of having Murphy on the DL vs. having Fautanu on the OL... and I believe that Murphy will have the greater impact, especially since the impact of Fautanu is hypothetically lessened by the team drafting Christain Haynes.

FWIW, the first DT drafted after Haynes at #81 overall was DeWayne Carter by BUF at #95. It will be interesting to compare Murphy's impact to the Hawks to Carter's impact to the Bills.

Last edited:

jeremiah

Reaction score
The team had a very good draft. They know best, and they came through nicely as far as I'm concerned.

GemCity

Reaction score
I believe that the answer lies in comparing the impact of having Murphy on the DL vs. having Fautanu on the OL... and I believe that Murphy will have the greater impact, especially since the impact of Fautanu is hypothetically lessened by the team drafting Christain Haynes.

FWIW, the first DT drafted after Haynes at #81 overall was DeWayne Carter by BUF at #95. It will be interesting to compare Murphy's impact to the Hawks to Carter's impact to the Bills.
Agreed.

While Fautanu would’ve been awesome to have up front on O, our run D was/is our bane.

Haynes is going to help alleviate some of the “what if we drafted…”. At least, I hope that’s the case.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Actually what the Hawks did played out close to what I heard about a strategy for them. In that scenario though, rather than take a DT, the strategy was to trade down vs taking Fautanu because you could pick up a starting guard in round 2 or 3. Based on that, I think Murphy + Haynes > Fautanu and whatever DT solution we could have drafted later

sutz

Reaction score
Actually what the Hawks did played out close to what I heard about a strategy for them. In that scenario though, rather than take a DT, the strategy was to trade down vs taking Fautanu because you could pick up a starting guard in round 2 or 3. Based on that, I think Murphy + Haynes > Fautanu and whatever DT solution we could have drafted later
Well said. I agree.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
He's probably a Day 1 starter. That's good value for a mid-third pick.