Are the Seahawks one of the 3 best teams in the NFC?

knownone

Reaction score
We've played the 3rd toughest schedule. We didn't find our identity on offense until week 3. We played the 10-1 Rams to pretty much a stalemate. We're 11th in scoring offense, 8th in scoring defense, 5th in takeaways on defense, 1st in rushing yards per game, 5th in time of possession.

Seriously, are we sure we're not a Superbowl contender this season? 7 points separated us and the Rams. Flip those games and the Rams are 8-3 and we're 8-3 in prime position to win the division. On top of that, we are 5-1 when Chris Carson carries the ball more than 5 times with the lone loss being by 2 points to the Rams.

Considering the Seahawks looked completely lost on offense in weeks one and two, and yet somehow had a chance to win both games at the end is pretty crazy...

Am I crazy for assuming that we're not only a top 3 team but that we haven't even hit on all cylinders yet? If our offense keeps improving at this rate and we get KJ and Kendricks back on defense the sky is the limit... We'd be entering the playoffs as one of 2 teams with a QB and Head Coach who've won a Superbowl in the NFC. We've proven we can hang with the Rams and Pete Carroll has outcoached Sean Payton every time they've met in the playoffs and against worst odds.

We obviously still need to make the playoffs but this season is starting to feel special. It kind of reminds me of the 2010 Packers season, the Packers snuck into the playoffs at 10-6 and Aaron Rodgers emerged as one of the 3 best QB in the league despite having been their statistically for quite awhile. I think we're seeing a similar season from Russ, no gaudy stats like some of the guys in the league, but only a handful of guys in the NFL are capable of doing what he does in the clutch.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
knownone":3o0fqj8d said:
We've played the 3rd toughest schedule. We didn't find our identity on offense until week 3. We played the 10-1 Rams to pretty much a stalemate. We're 11th in scoring offense, 8th in scoring defense, 5th in takeaways on defense, 1st in rushing yards per game, 5th in time of possession.

Seriously, are we sure we're not a Superbowl contender this season? 7 points separated us and the Rams. Flip those games and the Rams are 8-3 and we're 8-3 in prime position to win the division. On top of that, we are 5-1 when Chris Carson carries the ball more than 5 times with the lone loss being by 2 points to the Rams.

Considering the Seahawks looked completely lost on offense in weeks one and two, and yet somehow had a chance to win both games at the end is pretty crazy...

Am I crazy for assuming that we're not only a top 3 team but that we haven't even hit on all cylinders yet? If our offense keeps improving at this rate and we get KJ and Kendricks back on defense the sky is the limit... We'd be entering the playoffs as one of 2 teams with a QB and Head Coach who've won a Superbowl in the NFC. We've proven we can hang with the Rams and Pete Carroll has outcoached Sean Payton every time they've met in the playoffs and against worst odds.

We obviously still need to make the playoffs but this season is starting to feel special. It kind of reminds me of the 2010 Packers season, the Packers snuck into the playoffs at 10-6 and Aaron Rodgers emerged as one of the 3 best QB in the league despite having been their statistically for quite awhile. I think we're seeing a similar season from Russ, no gaudy stats like some of the guys in the league, but only a handful of guys in the NFL are capable of doing what he does in the clutch.

Let's see how we play the Vikings. If we beat them, too (without losing to our other divisional foes), then I'd probably place us 3rd in the division.

We've already beaten the Cowboys, Panthers, Packers, and Lions. The only other team that could have given us a possible run for 3rd would be the Redskins; they're without Alex Smith now, so we'll see.

The Bears are the other possibility, and I still think we could beat them.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I think the Bears might have a little something to say about it. But I'd put the Hawks above any team in the East. Minny and Hawks are in the 4/5 spot, I would think.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
knownone":15ps8hgv said:
Am I crazy for assuming that we're not only a top 3 team but that we haven't even hit on all cylinders yet?.

I do think we're just starting to hit our stride............so if we played the Bears again on a neutral field? I think we win.

But that's the thing about the NFL, unless it's the SB or Phoenix in December when half the crowd is the opposing team's fans.........there is no neutral field.

We lost to the Bears, they have a better record, so IMO we're squarely in the 4-6 range.

1. Saints
2. Rams
3. Bears
4. Panthers, Hawks and Vikings (choose your order).

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Right now, we are between 4 and 6. Come playoffs, if we keep on this upswing, I'd put it right behind the Saints and Rams. But the Rams are very much beatable. Shoot, it's just fun being in the mix this year. And certainly not expected.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
I can see putting us at 3rd in the NFC right now but making it to the Superbowl is pushing it.

I do think we are just know finding our new identity. It's been a little over a month since ET was IR'd and releasing Brandon Marshall was another important step. This team seems to be solidifying and are in a great position to make a run but we are going to need quite a bit of help to take down the Saints who are looking real strong and the Rams defeated us twice.

rjas77

Reaction score
Are we one of the best teams in the NFC? maybe...maybe not. Are we going to the playoffs? I believe so. Get to the post season first, then play the game you're scheduled.

I'm excited either way

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I'm going to get killed for saying this...but I think we need to pump the brakes on the top three to five in the NFC.

You all have seen how our defense is playing right now, correct?

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
No, IMO. We score about 30 each week, unfortunately so do our opponents. Itll be close games all season. Need to improve something on D to be a top 3. If we take care of business and blow the doors off San Fran I may change my mind, we will see.

94Smith

Reaction score
Yes, Seahawks could very well be #3. But the gap between 3 and 2 and particularly #1 is large. Especially considering the Hawks would have to travel to the Superdome in the playoffs

Hawkpower

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":27ks5ido said:
I'm going to get killed for saying this...but I think we need to pump the brakes on the top three to five in the NFC.

You all have seen how our defense is playing right now, correct?

You've seen the Rams defense, right?

Rams and Saints are better. Chicago is arguably better. Vikings? Eh maybe.

Which 5 teams are you putting in front of us, even with our defense struggling at times??

raisethe3

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2o70zbjy said:
knownone":2o70zbjy said:
Am I crazy for assuming that we're not only a top 3 team but that we haven't even hit on all cylinders yet?.

I do think we're just starting to hit our stride............so if we played the Bears again on a neutral field? I think we win.

But that's the thing about the NFL, unless it's the SB or Phoenix in December when half the crowd is the opposing team's fans.........there is no neutral field.

We lost to the Bears, they have a better record, so IMO we're squarely in the 4-6 range.

1. Saints
2. Rams
3. Bears
4. Panthers, Hawks and Vikings (choose your order).

There's no way the Hawks are going to be #4 if the Rams win the division. Same goes for the Panthers. They will be at best #5 seed. Also you can't omit NFC East champion, they'll automatically occupy one of the top 4 spots, most likely #3 or #4 (depends on the others obviously). But again, there's 5 games left. A lot can change.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
raisethe3":3s2y98jz said:
There's no way the Hawks are going to be #4 if the Rams win the division. Same goes for the Panthers. They will be at best #5 seed. Also you can't omit NFC East champion, they'll automatically occupy one of the top 4 spots, most likely #3 or #4 (depends on the others obviously). But again, there's 5 games left. A lot can change.

I don't think this thread is about post-season seeding. It appears to be more about actual competency and ability to win games. If the Seahawks were in the NFC East, would we be better than all of those teams? Probably so.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":urvo7xzg said:
raisethe3":urvo7xzg said:

I don't think this thread is about post-season seeding. It appears to be more about actual competency and ability to win games. If the Seahawks were in the NFC East, would we be better than all of those teams? Probably so.

Ok, my bad then.

KiwiHawk":urvo7xzg said:
So theoretically if we get the 5 seed and win a road playoff game, is that enough for Carroll to get a Coach of the Year nod?

Nah, they'll always be ignored by the critics and the media as always.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1qclp9zl said:
Shoot, it's just fun being in the mix this year. And certainly not expected.

This 1000%. Not sure where Seattle ranks because of the screwed up NFC, but its been one of the funner seasons for sure. The Hawks are just fun to watch and they havent been for a couple years. Without any expectations this season and the lack of stress, i've been having a ball so far.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Though the teams aren’t really comparable, I’m starting to get 2012 vibes with this team. The Carolina game was the 2012 Chicago game. I think they’re getting ready to catch fire on offense.

I’m also still not sure the 2013 team was better than the 2012 team. I still believe we were the best team in the league at the end of 2012.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Rams, Saints, Chicago, Minny and Carolina are better "on paper" than us. We are more in the Dallas/Wash/GB/Philly range talent wise. But we have wilson and wagner. And that sometimes is the difference.

We are cobbling together a solid season but I don't think we are firmly entrenched near the top. We can play with anyone, but even the 2011 Seahawks could do that. We need to finish the season strong and show some growth on defense to really move higher up the chain.