AI-generated Seahawks mascot

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I'm posting this in the Seahawks main forum because it's sorta mainly Seahawks related, but I'm not entirely sure about it. If it should be elsewhere, I throw myself at the feet and mercy of all offended parties.

Anyway... Brandon Perna at That's Good Sports, a noted Denver Broncos fan, has become a great source of entertainment for many of us because of his prolonged spiral of agony at the hands of Russell Wilson. So I was checking his website out several days ago, and he has a couple of short videos on AI generated mascots for each team. The Seahawks mascot made me laugh so hard I cried. I present it here for your enjoyment or torture.

Brandon Perna AI mascot

pmedic920

Reaction score
To be fair, they all appear to hideous to some degree or another.

Maybe in this case “Artificial Intelligence”is one of those oxymoron things?

Attachments

• IMG_1274.jpeg
    IMG_1274.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1275.jpeg
    IMG_1275.jpeg
    18.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1276.jpeg
    IMG_1276.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 8

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
To be fair, they all appear to hideous to some degree or another.

Maybe in this case “Artificial Intelligence”is one of those oxymoron things?
I believe 'Artificial Intelligence' will be one of the most used and overused and abused words very soon.

Well, right after it steals all of our jobs! Lookout - that shit is real - however under defined and over defined the coverage becomes.

Some nutbars and some verified intelligent people have come out strongly against AI recently - and with good reason.

OP
OP
BlueTalon

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I believe 'Artificial Intelligence' will be one of the most used and overused and abused words very soon.

Well, right after it steals all of our jobs! Lookout - that shit is real - however under defined and over defined the coverage becomes.

Some nutbars and some verified intelligent people have come out strongly against AI recently - and with good reason.
I forget where I read or heard it, but apparently AI sometimes has hallucinations. The example I heard was when it was asked to generate a report about something. It generated a report alright, complete with resources and references -- none of which actually exist.

I wonder if these mascots were the product of AI dreaming or hallucinating.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
I forget where I read or heard it, but apparently AI sometimes has hallucinations. The example I heard was when it was asked to generate a report about something. It generated a report alright, complete with resources and references -- none of which actually exist.

I wonder if these mascots were the product of AI dreaming or hallucinating.
Most of the good A.I. conjurings feel like fever dreams. It's the part I love about it.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I laugh that the AI generated has at least two different numbers on ours.. a 0 something on the right, a 5 on the left and then a 1 and something else on the chest.

knownone

Reaction score
The term AI leads people to believe there is something intelligent going on. There is not. The images are kind of neat in an uncanny valley sense. But it's more of a parlor trick than anything.

KinesProf

Reaction score
I for one would like to take this opportunity to go on the record, prior to the purge, that I am in favour of our AI/Robot overlords. That is all.

The Cleveland Browns and Edmonton Oilers are pretty spot-on depictions of their fans.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
The term AI leads people to believe there is something intelligent going on. There is not. The images are kind of neat in an uncanny valley sense. But it's more of a parlor trick than anything.
This -

AI isn't what everyone thinks it is. It's going to be far more intrusive and destructive than manipulating cartoon images.

It's real. It's a threat. And it's not just goofy images and mis-representing with deep fakes for video and voice - although that IS a dangerous component.

There needs to be federal legislation IMMEDIATELY in both Canada and the U.S. (and Europe for that matter) restricting and steering what this stuff can be used for.

Unfortunately it's a bit late - and I'm not sure the genie can actually be put back in the bottle.

Yup. It's that bad. Is it Terminator 2 yet? Nope. But.....

pmedic920

Reaction score

We probably won’t, but future generations may find out that “Terminators” was more prophetic than we can imagine.

Like most technology, there’s a good side and a not so good side, and like almost everything else, many will poopoo or scoff at the notion.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
This -

AI isn't what everyone thinks it is. It's going to be far more intrusive and destructive than manipulating cartoon images.

It's real. It's a threat. And it's not just goofy images and mis-representing with deep fakes for video and voice - although that IS a dangerous component.

There needs to be federal legislation IMMEDIATELY in both Canada and the U.S. (and Europe for that matter) restricting and steering what this stuff can be used for.

Unfortunately it's a bit late - and I'm not sure the genie can actually be put back in the bottle.

Yup. It's that bad. Is it Terminator 2 yet? Nope. But.....
If AI gets a perpetual motion machine to regenerate its power supply......And it is only a week away.