According to ESPN radio

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
All those people celebrating this news will be in for a shock when they find out next season that the defense is basically the same... because Pete Carroll has more influence than anyone on how this team plays.

mistaowen

Reaction score
bestfightstory":21qidwjg said:
While I have already revealed my bias for Bradley, I don't understand all the comments here about Bradley and 'soft zone'.

In the Bears game wasn't Sherman in position to defend that completion to B Marshall but fail to make the play?

And against Atlanta-my big fear was that we would sit back on that last drive, but we didn't. We blitzed on both of Atlanta's final two plays. The players didn't get there.

This board seems to always trash our co-ordinators.

Here we had a co-ordinator who is heralded by everybody he has ever worked with and who led a #1 scoring defense that had little pass rush and we are happy to see him go??

I don't understand.

We sat back in soft zones even though sending 5 both plays. The first play put two players in Browner's zone along the sidelines which gave them a fairly easy big first down. It should have been man press coverage from the start even with the 5 man rush with Atl having 2 timeouts. The next was more or less Wagner's fault for letting Gonzo go straight up the seem for an easy big catch, but 95% of the people watching knew who that pass was going to and we still called a conservative zone.

The prevent call against the Bears was the correct one and Sherm lazily tried to make an interception while Brandon Marshall did what he does best and went to the ball snagging it out of the air.

In all the game losing drives we had that I can remember, we switched from our dominate press coverage to zones. I think that is my biggest complaint with Gus Bradley, regardless of how great a person he is.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
HawkFanNC":2mcxlxd1 said:
Largent80":2mcxlxd1 said:
Just shows what a kick ass organization we are, people are knockin the doors down to get what we got.

The bad part is he can choose his coaches and he could take some with him.

Hopefully some of those coaches will compare the current situation in Seattle against the existing mess in Philly and decide their long term prospects are better served by staying put.

If any coach has aspirations to be an NFL head coach, they should jump at the opportunity. If he succeeds, he will make millions, if he fails, there will be other opportunities (some may still be as HC) as coordinators. The experience and exposure will benefit him in the future.

CANHawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":qtcalgra said:
While I have already revealed my bias for Bradley, I don't understand all the comments here about Bradley and 'soft zone'.

In the Bears game wasn't Sherman in position to defend that completion to B Marshall but fail to make the play?

And against Atlanta-my big fear was that we would sit back on that last drive, but we didn't. We blitzed on both of Atlanta's final two plays. The players didn't get there.

Here we had a co-ordinator who is heralded by everybody he has ever worked with and who led a #1 scoring defense that had little pass rush and we are happy to see him go??

I don't understand.

Yep, I distinctly remember seeing Winston Guy in the backfield on every play of that last drive, but the secondary did appear to be in something resembling a zone. I don't know if you can call it a soft zone when you're blitzing DB's, but still...

It was wierd, they seemed to be playing it like they had to defend an 80 yard field, but it was really only a 40 yard field as that was all they needed to get in FG range. That's not the place for a prevent defense IMO. I don't mean to nitpick, because like Pete said in his presser "that's the easy thing to do", but what was working for them in that game was press man coverage with two safties over the top. I don't know why you'd go away from what was working with the game on the line. Perhaps they thought Ryan wouldn't have time to find the open guys due to the blitz, but I guess they guessed wrong...

But I agree, the coordinators seem to take too much of a beating around here when things go wrong. They're just an easy target I guess. I dunno... :shrug:

nsport

Reaction score
One thing about Gus Bradley is he is very likable and seemed to have a good presence with the players. Ultimately, I think that Bradley's rise came from being hitched to Carroll's wagon, he'll probably be ok and even more importantly, I'm 100% sure we'll be fine. The only discrepancy I can see is the presence he brought, which will take time to build rapport with a new coach.

HansGruber

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3pryx5ta said:

I don't understand.

Allow me to simplify it then:

On that pass rush play? Bradley had ONE guy assigned to cover Gonzalez - Winston Guy. A rookie safety who had served a 4 game suspension and only been back a few weeks. That was the ONE SINGLE GUY assigned to cover Gonzalez in a ZONE scheme. Here you've got the best secondary in the game, and some pretty decent LBs, and Bradley chose to use an unproven rusty rookie to defend one of the best, most critical players on the ATL offense. And he was the ONLY defender in that middle part of the field, because even Trufant had been sent on a blitz.

Carroll didn't make that call. Bradley did. Carroll already discussed it on the radio this morning, and Brock and Salk talked about it at length.

So yeah, maybe Bradley is a great dude, and a real father figure. But he's a MORON for putting a rusty rookie in soft zone against one of the best TE's in the game on a play where you know the offense has 3 TO's and only needs 30-40 yards to win the game. That call cost us the game.

So good luck and good riddance, Bradley.

Largent80

Reaction score
Actually when Pete became coach I (and many others here) were shocked that Bradley was retained.

drdiags

Reaction score
KJ Wright (love that name, sounds like DD Lewis) has got to make a better tackle on the Gonzalez catch. Should have been able to put him down at the 35yd line. The distance doesn't seem like much but makes it a 53 yd FG. That and ST allowing a return to the 30. Oh well.

I have no animosity toward Bradley. I don't expect to see a big leap with whomever replaces him.

HansGruber

Reaction score
drdiags":1ebybrtu said:
KJ Wright (love that name, sounds like DD Lewis) has got to make a better tackle on the Gonzalez catch. Should have been able to put him down at the 35yd line. The distance doesn't seem like much but makes it a 53 yd FG. That and ST allowing a return to the 30. Oh well.

I have no animosity toward Bradley. I don't expect to see a big leap with whomever replaces him.

Probably not a big drop off either, though.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
Aros":zdqv4zi3 said:
Bye Gus! Good luck dude, you will definitely need it.

Not trying to be an ass but honestly I could care less about losing him. Next man up!
You are so right, too often he called for that damn soft zone at the most inappropriate time. I won't miss him either.

mikeak

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2ys02052 said:
5 late game blown leads when the team NEEDED the defense to m ake ONE more stop to secure a victory

Yeah but the Philly crowd will be easy on him and not blame him if he looses five games late.... they are much better at analyzing games than the Seattle fans and stay away from letting emotions rule the day....

:sarcasm_off:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1j5fdyc5 said:
Just shows what a kick ass organization we are, people are knockin the doors down to get what we got.

The bad part is he can choose his coaches and he could take some with him.
Take coaches with him?....Maybe only IF the Eagles organization can match the money that Paul Allen puts up.

Axx

Reaction score
mikeak":imq14fsb said:
hawksfansinceday1":imq14fsb said:
5 late game blown leads when the team NEEDED the defense to m ake ONE more stop to secure a victory

Yeah but the Philly crowd will be easy on him and not blame him if he looses five games late.... they are much better at analyzing games than the Seattle fans and stay away from letting emotions rule the day....

Could you imagine Philly if Andy Reid lost the same way Seattle did sunday????

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
Why is anybody very upset about this? The defense has been this teams biggest liability ever since Detroit. There is no pass rush *at all*, we have stunk on 3rd down for much of the season, we haven't handled late game defense well at all. To me, a good portion of this falls on the DC. There have been positives on the defense but they are because of INDIVIDUAL performances, like Sherman, Thomas, Wagner, etc.

In other words, our defensive problems have been more scheme related. Our defensive positives have been individual players making plays.

The one exception is Trufant who has been an individual failure ( I know he had a decent game sunday)

I welcome a change.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Bipolar":2g484eml said:
could it mean a potential promotion for Tom Cable? or Pete will take over? or they will just hire someone else?
cable? Isn't he OL? He still has a shot at a promotion though because Adam Schrieffer just said that Bevel is interviewing with Bears today and Buc's tomorrow. As an added bonus he through in that there isn't much interest in Flynn around the league.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
brimsalabim":21w5td5j said:
Bipolar":21w5td5j said:
could it mean a potential promotion for Tom Cable? or Pete will take over? or they will just hire someone else?
cable? Isn't he OL? He still has a shot at a promotion though because Adam Schrieffer just said that Bevel is interviewing with Bears today and Buc's tomorrow. As an added bonus he through in that there isn't much interest in Flynn around the league.
Was that a serious question or Bipolar trying to be funny because of what Reid did promoting his O-Line coach to Defensive Coordinator?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Axx":2osp8d75 said:
mikeak":2osp8d75 said:
hawksfansinceday1":2osp8d75 said:

Could you imagine Philly if Andy Reid lost the same way Seattle did sunday????
Not to mention 3 other games earlier in the season in exactly the same fashion and nearly a 4th (Chicago). Can you say "effigy"?

bestfightstory

Reaction score
^Why would Philly take that out on Andy Reid? Everyone knows the Defensive Coordinator is to blame, not the head coach.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Aros":11kpj2zm said:
Bye Gus! Good luck dude, you will definitely need it.

Not trying to be an ass but honestly I could care less about losing him. Next man up!

He's going for the money. If it were me personally. I would like the idea of being a coordinator on an up and coming franchise with ALL the upside in the world. Take the time and learn all the ins and outs from someone like Carroll, Schneider, hell, even Cable. Learn the subtle nuiances of what comes with the gig. Chances are he is going to struggle (not because of his skillset as a defensive coordinator) because of the mess Philly is in. And he will not get a free pass from the people of the City of Brotherly Love!!! They will eat him alive!!

I wish him the best of luck in his endeavours.

Godspeed Gus Godspeed!!