49ers Trade Their Punter for a 7th round pick

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":2at7ao92 said:
Marvin49":2at7ao92 said:
Jville":2at7ao92 said:
hawknation2015":2at7ao92 said:
We will just have to see how Pinion turns out . . . Andy Lee was pretty steady, ranked in the Top 10 in punting every year by PFF, and was ranked sixth in the league in gross average (46.80) last year. In the almighty words of Rick Neuheisel, "punting is winning!"

49ers saved a little over a million dollars with this draft choice/trade, but they effectively moved from a 2015 5th Round pick (which they used on Pinion) to a 2016 7th Round pick (in exchange for Lee).

If I were a 49er fan, I would not feel that comfortable with this move. But as a Seahawk fan, I like the uncertainty it creates for them. Hopefully Tyler Lockett gets an opportunity to take some of those rookie punts to the house.

Actually, it was a 2017 7th round pick in exchange for Lee. Check that out on the value chart.

Since you seem so comfortable with numbers, I put it to you. Are there still humanoids running the show down there. Or, could it be running via software programs? Are the 49ers still a football team? Or has that program been reduced to so many zeros and ones?

Food for thought.

Pinion is also almost 12 years younger and playing on a rookie contract. I've never seen the guy kick so I can't even profess to have any idea how this will work out, but they liked him enough to draft him in round 5 and let a Pro Bowl Punter walk.

Maybe. But the number of punters and kickers who go undrafted and make it in the NFL is high enough that you can't tell me the Niners couldn't have had their pick of the litter if they hadn't drafted him. At the very least, a team that was suffering from the number of losses they have had in this offseason surely could have found more value for a 5th round pick than at a position that was already a strength for them.

Unless, they were worried Lee's aged foot would fall off from all the punting they expect to do this season. :stirthepot:

Well I can only assume they liked Pinion quite a bit if they used that pick on him. Andy Lee was drafted as well when he came into the league.

Value? I'd guess the market on a 2.5 million $$$ punter was rather limited. I figured Andy was gone when Pinion was selected, so ANY pick is better than expected compensation.

ivotuk

Reaction score
The kid can boot the ball, that's for sure. But how will he do with Kam Chancellor leaping over the line and coming full steam ahead at him.

"I knocked you on your ass and I'ma do it again, and again! And again!

Hawks46

Reaction score
rlkats":bq16hqx6 said:
rideaducati":bq16hqx6 said:
Whodda thunk it? Baalke loading up on draft picks again...worked so well the past four seasons. :sarcasm_off:

Lol. Oh look with thousands of starving comedians out there.
Ducati is trying to be one. Lol :sarcasm_on:

The true comedy is taking a 5th rounder and turning it into a 7th rounder, washed through the punter position.

That and all that red ink on the roster and coaching chart. Youch.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^Taking Pinion in the 5th is a sunk cost.

If anything it makes finagling something for the punter he's replacing more surprising.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Hawks46":ngssz1x9 said:
rlkats":ngssz1x9 said:
rideaducati":ngssz1x9 said:
Whodda thunk it? Baalke loading up on draft picks again...worked so well the past four seasons. :sarcasm_off:

Lol. Oh look with thousands of starving comedians out there.
Ducati is trying to be one. Lol :sarcasm_on:

The true comedy is taking a 5th rounder and turning it into a 7th rounder, washed through the punter position.

That and all that red ink on the roster and coaching chart. Youch.

By this same logic, using a pick to replace a older player with a younger player is comedic. I mean really...sometimes I think you guys are just trying too hard.

They had a soon to be 33 year old punter who's average has dropped for 3 straight years making 2.5 million (who was a 6th round pick BTW).

They saw a guy they liked in Bradley Pinion who is 21, drafted in the 5th round, and makes about 400K.

Most of the time, this would simply be a release of the vet. NOTHING in return. The fact that they got ANYTHING in trade is the surprise here, not what they were able to get in return. So funny...on one hand peeps criticize the selection of a punter for a draft pick and then criticize the pick they got in return...for a punter. LOL.

That's clears up cap space to resign the likes of Alex Boone or Aldon Smith.

Why is this a mystery?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Yeah, I mean really the only place you could go after them for any of this is taking someone in the 5th round who many believed could have been had later.

I'm of course open to that critique, but might balk at it being made by someone here, as celebrating the taking of players who were selected before where the media had projected them to go is covered in Hawks fandom 101.

Jville

Reaction score
New week for which the question lingers ......

dontbelikethat":iagauusr said:
900x900px-LL-8a545361_CGxHgThU8AAoLm2.png

........ who is next?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":goag9q8o said:

dontbelikethat":goag9q8o said:

........ who is next?

Well at least now people can stop attributing whatever success the Niners have (if they have any) to Scot McGloughan.

Jville

Reaction score
Marvin49":zwze4duu said:
Jville":zwze4duu said:

dontbelikethat":zwze4duu said:

........ who is next?

Well at least now people can stop attributing whatever success the Niners have (if they have any) to Scot McGloughan.

Scot McGloughan serves as an inspiration for all who have been crossed of that list. In that, there is indeed life and the possibility of success and happiness after the York treatment.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Or we could look at the other Super Bowl team from 2012 and put the 9ers turnover into perspective:

2f0Ueue

The 9ers have 17 remaining players from there 2012 Super Bowl team, whereas the Ravens have 14.

Here's the Hawks from 2012, if anyone is interested. While I understand the purpose of this, as a form of data presentation it's pretty deceptive. Even the Seahawks look like they've had a ton of churn, when they really haven't.

RG0cjdvl

Jville

Reaction score
I think most are cognizant of the significant differences in the driving forces behind the expected Raven losses and the less anticipated 49er losses.

The question remains ......
[/quote]

........ who is next?

ringless

Reaction score
Jville":2gfjsr5s said:
I think most are cognizant of the significant differences in the driving forces behind the expected Raven losses and the less anticipated 49er losses.

The question remains ......

........ who is next?[/quote]

This one still needs to be updated lol

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":11iypu28 said:
Jville":11iypu28 said:

dontbelikethat":11iypu28 said:

........ who is next?

Funny how it is that the niners get worse with every player Baalke replaces. Never saw that coming... :sarcasm_off:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
rideaducati":33toz3x1 said:
Marvin49":33toz3x1 said:
Jville":33toz3x1 said:

dontbelikethat":33toz3x1 said:

........ who is next?

Funny how it is that the niners get worse with every player Baalke replaces. Never saw that coming... :sarcasm_off:
It's just some of that gosh darn rotten luck I'm sure. 8)

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":3e7zawb2 said:

Funny and true.

I should stop criticizing the 49ers. As a great man once said, "I keep my spoon in my own soup. I don't taste your soup." - Soup Enthusiast Tomsula

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":1ggf35ql said:
Marvin49":1ggf35ql said:

Funny and true.

I should stop criticizing the 49ers. As a great man once said, "I keep my spoon in my own soup. I don't taste your soup." - Soup Enthusiast Tomsula

I'm tellin ya...

...This isn't sayin' he's going to be nearly as successful or even successful at all, but the only guy I could even begin to compare him to is John Madden.

Marvin49

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":3t3wck9g said:
Marvin49":3t3wck9g said:
Laloosh":3t3wck9g said:
Marvin49":3t3wck9g said:

Funny and true.

I'm tellin ya...

...This isn't sayin' he's going to be nearly as successful or even successful at all, but the only guy I could even begin to compare him to is John Madden.

The only version of Madden that Tomsula resembles is the Madden we saw/heard in the booth for his last few years on TV. That is, completely drunk, full of obvious and simple statements that are bludgeoned past the point of recognition.

If you say so. :D

Position coach, loved by players, promoted to head coach...yeah no similarities at all. :D

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":6kuqhky4 said:

Position coach, loved by players, promoted to head coach...yeah no similarities at all. :D

I see a Singletary similarity... I also predict a very short head coaching stint.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":1w3tkfi6 said:
Marvin49":1w3tkfi6 said:

I see a Singletary similarity... I also predict a very short head coaching stint.

Hall of Fame players rarely make good coaches.

Latest posts