2014 Seattle Mariners

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Why Maurer is up here getting shelled every outing while Erasmo Ramirez is in Tacoma, I don't know. Ramirez isn't great, but he's way better than Maurer.

Paxton was pitching really well before his injury, so I'm excited about getting him back. Walker, we'll see about. Hope he's as advertised.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2uyadrrf said:
Why Maurer is up here getting shelled every outing while Erasmo Ramirez is in Tacoma, I don't know. Ramirez isn't great, but he's way better than Maurer.

Paxton was pitching really well before his injury, so I'm excited about getting him back. Walker, we'll see about. Hope he's as advertised.
It's a new manager finding out what he has. Luckily when it comes to pitchers Llyod has a quick hook, and he won't put up with Mauer type performances long. Wish he would do the same with position players (see Brad Miller).

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Blitzer88":pfqzlt7b said:
Why can't we beat the dang Astros? Really disappointing series split...................
Because the offense SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Any worries about Felix now? on a Cy Young pace at the moment. Still doesnt seem to have his best stuff either

can this team win 3-4 games in a row? Wild Card(s) is just sitting there.

Hawker

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2u9zznoa said:
Any worries about Felix now? on a Cy Young pace at the moment. Still doesnt seem to have his best stuff either

Felix looked great last night. Until the unfortunate 9th inning - I detest the Angels (or perhaps am just plain jealous) for having a Trout-Pujols combo in their lineup. Felix handled them expertly all night long.

Strange that he hasn't had a complete game yet this year. Though, I hope in the long run it pays off - less innings pitched bodes well for the September arm, I suppose.

Hovering around .500 all month long sure has been nice, but I agree; it would be even better to string together a solid 1-2 week hot streak and get after that wildcard.

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
Got into a stupid "argument" with a guy last night over the decision to pull Felix at that point of the game. He thought it was egregious overmanaging to yank your best pitcher after 116 pitches and getting hammered the last 2 AB's because "you take Felix in any situation over Rodney", which is a horribly ignorant statement from a game and player management standpoint.

Had another friend snark about Cano "padding stats" in the game the other night in the 9th inning. His beef was that with 2 outs, Cano should have been swinging for the fences down by 3 with only 1 guy on, and by simply getting on base he was just padding his stats.

This has been the most interesting season so far in years, and I'm already tired of it because of the incessantly whiny pedestrian fans who played a little T-ball back in the day and therefore know how a game should be managed or how a hitter should approach each situational AB.

//rant off

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
Hawker":2h6udlto said:
Uncle Si":2h6udlto said:

Felix looked great last night. Until the unfortunate 9th inning - I detest the Angels (or perhaps am just plain jealous) for having a Trout-Pujols combo in their lineup. Felix handled them expertly all night long.

Strange that he hasn't had a complete game yet this year. Though, I hope in the long run it pays off - less innings pitched bodes well for the September arm, I suppose.

Hovering around .500 all month long sure has been nice, but I agree; it would be even better to string together a solid 1-2 week hot streak and get after that wildcard.

Just heard he hasn't gone the distance since Aug of '12, which really is kind of odd. But also saw that since 2005 he has 62 starts of 8IP and 1 or 0 ER over the same span that Zershawn and Verlander have 63 combined. That is an insane stat.

Interestingly the Angel's starters have really good #'s right now, their best 3 pitched against us and we took the series despite the continued hitting "struggles". Funny enough the put up their best hitting numbers in a loss, that's so Mariners of them. The bats were not good overall last night but they were enough. I think getting that early lead helps Felix stay dialed in, he never loses it mentally. Last night he just had some arm fatigue there after 110 pitches, was leaving balls up in the zone.

It's good the team has had success against LAA. If by some miracle we squeeze into that 2nd WC spot, odds are it will be against the Angels.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3bvy0ez4 said:

His good, but somewhat un-Felix play made sense to me when we found out that there was a virus going around the clubhouse. I'm not surprised to see him work his way back into dominance (as usual) now that he is feeling better.

Taijuan Walker got beat up in Tacoma last night. Paxton got shut down for shoulder stiffness. PLEASE get those two healthy (and Walker needs to be pitching well). Replacing Maurer and Elias is crucial.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Assuming the youngsters get healthy (big if) I see our #5 starter being a rotation of Chris Young and Elias depending on matchups, the other being long relief.

Elias is a 25 year old lefty in his rookie season and has shown a lot of potential. I think there is room for both he and Young (whom is a pleasant surprise), Maurer is done methinks.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3jyvp43w said:
Uncle Si":3jyvp43w said:

His good, but somewhat un-Felix play made sense to me when we found out that there was a virus going around the clubhouse. I'm not surprised to see him work his way back into dominance (as usual) now that he is feeling better.

Taijuan Walker got beat up in Tacoma last night. Paxton got shut down for shoulder stiffness. PLEASE get those two healthy (and Walker needs to be pitching well). Replacing Maurer and Elias is crucial.

Don't agree about Roenis. He has been pitching well enough for a BOTR pitcher and is a steady lefty. He just needs to avoid early troubles.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":2i6znu9t said:
Smelly McUgly":2i6znu9t said:
Uncle Si":2i6znu9t said:

Don't agree about Roenis. He has been pitching well enough for a BOTR pitcher and is a steady lefty. He just needs to avoid early troubles.

I like Elias, and he's definitely better than Maurer or Erasmo, and in fact, when I went and looked at his stats on Fangraphs, I decided that you were right. He runs over seven Ks per nine, only about 3.5 walks per nine, and actually only has a .249 BA against with a BABIP against him on .298, which is above the median. So yeah, he's a fine back-of-the-rotation pitcher.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2to19e09 said:
We know the pitching is real good..The offense overall is weak..Our GM must have little pull that he can't cut/trade for a couple of bats..Hart and LoMo just aren't going to cut it ..I think we are a .500 team or a little better but we could be a lot better ..How many 1 run games have we lost? How many games do we have 5 hits or less?Thats where 2 good hitters fix a lot of that problem..
We're one HGW away from being a team that make a post-season run.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I'm not going to worry about Felix until he's in his 30s.

JZ#1

Reaction score
Elias beasted today. Every time I think this team is going to fall back they revert to .500 ball. Still relevant in June. :th2thumbs: