1st Round, Pick #31, Germain ifedi, Tackle, Texas A&M

AgentDib

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2310f9lw said:
3. Plays similar to James Carpenter. Also about the same size.
Flat out wrong on both fronts. Where are you getting your information from?

mikeak

Reaction score
Bryce84":319qkyzt said:
mikeak":319qkyzt said:
If that is who they would pick yes agree 100%.

If not then was it worth it???

I am not criticizing. I am just critically looking at it and asking questions

Fact is, if Seattle had someone on their board at #26 that was WELL above anyone else, they don't trade the pick. They likely had numerous players with similar grades that they knew one (if not most) of them would be there at #31. So to pose the question if getting an extra pick for the player they want (or of roughly the same caliber) is worth it, seems really silly. Maybe that's just me.

Why? They certainly gambled when Schneider wanted RW in second round and they waited until the third. You have to be willing to risk something to win

McGruff

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2f6stmlp said:
Looks to me Ifedi is the perfect Seahawks offensive lineman (Tom Cable lineman).

1. Can't really tell if he's a tackle or a guard. A "tweener."
2. More than likely will end up playing both positions.

Congratulations 12s and Seahawks.net: With the 31st pick in 2016 NFL Draft, the Seattle Seahawks select James Carpenter 2.0!

Ifedi and Carpenter are world's apart. Carpenter was round and slow and soft. Ifedi is chiseled from granite and has very quick feet and plays with edge. Carpenter was pretty polished, Ifedi has a lot of technical flaws.

I actually can't think of a worse comparison .

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
Bryce84":30lshs9r said:
mikeak":30lshs9r said:

Fact is, if Seattle had someone on their board at #26 that was WELL above anyone else, they don't trade the pick. They likely had numerous players with similar grades that they knew one (if not most) of them would be there at #31. So to pose the question if getting an extra pick for the player they want (or of roughly the same caliber) is worth it, seems really silly. Maybe that's just me.

That's pretty much how i look at it.

sutz

Reaction score
Bryce84":32j3tit7 said:
mikeak":32j3tit7 said:

Not silly at all, sounds like good draft day strategy.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Ifedi was the best O-lineman left on the board at 31. Great pick it addresses a need , Ifedi has a chance to be physically dominate at the next level and we got an extra 3rd in the process.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":m9qq46lr said:
TheLegendOfBoom":m9qq46lr said:
Looks to me Ifedi is the perfect Seahawks offensive lineman (Tom Cable lineman).

1. Can't really tell if he's a tackle or a guard. A "tweener."
2. More than likely will end up playing both positions.

Congratulations 12s and Seahawks.net: With the 31st pick in 2016 NFL Draft, the Seattle Seahawks select James Carpenter 2.0!
Anyone making a James Carpenter comparison clearly has never watched either play. Good on you for not having an original opinion of your own!

Love it when people complain about a pick even though they know absolutely nothing about said player other than what they recently read on twitter. Such is life in the age of the internet
Ha ha. Good one.

I'm not on Twitter.

Didn't mean to offend you if I did so.

Watching the tape on him, I can see why the Seahawks selected him, and no I did not make the comparison to James Carpenter from what I read.

I just call it how I see it.

I don't hate the pick at all, with all this "we should have in here" I think you are premature to believe majority of posters here do not like this pick.

IMO it's a good pick for a needed position. Nothing more nothing less.

I'm not going to argue the pick or support the pick, I'm more so neutral in this.

But you already knew that.

vonstout

Reaction score
Several mocks had us taking Ifedi or Nkemdiche. But there are a LOT of DTs still available and I'd be surprised if one isn't there at our next pick. If not, the list of players left is huge and that doesn't include any QBs that other teams will be going after in the second round. I'd be happy with any of these guys in the second:

DTs: A. Robinson, Reed, Billings, Bullard, Ward, Jones,
Edge: Spence, Ogbah, Dodd
LB: Jack
OT: Spriggs, Coleman, Clark,
OG: Whitehair, Alexander, Martin
CB: Alexander, Fuller
TE: Hunter Henry
RB: Henry

I'm hoping Jaylon Smith is still on the board for us in the 3rd round. He has top 10 talent. If he sits out the whole year, I'd be fine with it if we can get him in the third. That may not happen.

pehawk

Reaction score
A late 3rd is basically a 4th rounder with autism.

Bryce84

Reaction score
mikeak":3nj9io7o said:
Why? They certainly gambled when Schneider wanted RW in second round and they waited until the third. You have to be willing to risk something to win

There's always risks with just about anything, but your example just further emphasizes that John and the team have a wonderful sense for how drafts are going to fall. This is what they do for a living and they're damn good at it. They've more than proven themselves worthy to execute an NFL draft during their 6 year tenure here. Sure, they don't hit on every pick, but no one does. I think it's safe to say they are well above most of the league when it comes to that though.

I'm tired of talking about "was getting an extra draft pick for a player Seattle likes worth it". The cards have been dealt, Seattle got one of their guys. It was a position of dire need and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do to make the team better. Hopefully Cable can unlock his potential, and the fact that most seem to suggest he has a TON of potential tells me he's very much someone they coveted.

mikeak

Reaction score
Bryce84":1rqqplkl said:
mikeak":1rqqplkl said:

There's always risks with just about anything, but your example just further emphasizes that John and the team have a wonderful sense for how drafts are going to fall. This is what they do for a living and they're damn good at it. They've more than proven themselves worthy to execute an NFL draft during their 6 year tenure here. Sure, they don't hit on every pick, but no one does. I think it's safe to say they are well above most of the league when it comes to that though.

I'm tired of talking about "was getting an extra draft pick for a player Seattle likes worth it". The cards have been dealt, Seattle got one of their guys. It was a position of dire need and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do to make the team better. Hopefully Cable can unlock his potential, and the fact that most seem to suggest he has a TON of potential tells me he's very much someone they coveted.

I just never understood people on forums that claim to be tired of debating what ifs.

So why are you here?

Every discussion after a game contains some of this. Every discussion about moves, play calls etc contains some of this. Sure there is a learning component but usually as a part of that discussion

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not happy but I trust Kearly's opinion more than mine on this.

So I am hoping he is right.

I am very disappointed we did not trade for Tunsil, I know the drug concerns are huge and all with him and Nkemdiche, but I remember this same kind of drop for a guy named Ray Lewis. He sat there on draft day and dropped, dropped because of concerns on a pot test. Turned out for OK for Baltimore after all.

Nkemdiche does not have to be a brain surgeon, just tackle the guy with the ball - RB, QB. If he was running around out there like the guy on the movie WaterBoy - I'm pretty fine with it.

Frankly, not sure why it matters much. Cable seems to be good at taking guys that seem like they should be good and making them look pretty average. And pretty good at taking guys that look like they should have no chance and making them serviceable. Not sure there is much upside here accordingly, but I guess the upside of not getting Wilson maimed or killed is something to hope for.

At least the fact that Kearly is pretty happy about the Cards getting that Nkemdiche makes me feel a little better - but that guy was pretty dominant when he wanted to be and I worry we are going to worry about that guy for years to come.

Bryce84

Reaction score
mikeak":3kcud4bb said:
Bryce84":3kcud4bb said:
mikeak":3kcud4bb said:

I just never understood people on forums that claim to be tired of debating what ifs.

So why are you here?

I didn't realize the point of a message board was strictly to debate "what if" scenarios. I'll make sure I read that disclaimer next time.

vonstout

Reaction score
mikeak":2qm1rhti said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/725910509971591169[/tweet]

If we could have had Dallas' 2nd and 3rd (4th pick in the second and the third), I would have preferred that. Ifedi may not have made it 4 picks down, so that would have been a risky move, but we would have been picking early in the 3rth instead of late.