17 second opinions vs. the Bucs

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
A second viewing doesn't just tweak your original impressions of the game, it flat-out reverses some of them.

1. Winston passed for "only" 335 yards. Huh. Felt like a lot more. Maybe that's because that was most of the offense; Jones kept getting stuffed after 2-yard gains and forced Winston to pass for more. (Not that it was good to give up 335 yards passing.)

2. Tampa leaves a TE or RB in to block an awful lot. The result was that our pass rush was simply losing the numbers game much of the time. I didn't spot this on first viewing. The most double-teamed guys? Reed, Clowney, and Woods - basically, our only guys of any serious threat.

3. When Tampa wasn't loading up with these heavier sets, Winston was often just getting the ball out quick. That's the NFL standard now. Three-step drop, 11-yard hitch route. Three-step drop, screen. Three-step drop, fade or quick out. When we play soft coverage, they'll take the short-intermediate stuff all day. It's been happening to the Seahawks all year, and most everyone else. The only teams that don't face this regularly are the ones Seattle plays (and even Seattle has been better about it this year, and especially against Tampa). It's still true - the playbook is a great pass protector when used right, and Byron Leftwich did a great job mixing it up as OC.

4. That said, Pete has failed at reloading the defensive line. That, not philosophy or scheme, is the biggest factor in our struggles this year in my opinion. The look of this team is completely different without this problem. Three heavy-snap guys - Ansah, Green, and Jackson - are out there doing absolutely nothing. Ansah looks slow and heavy and the other two are just playing patty-cake. Nothing remarkable whatsoever. Honestly, our best pass rushers at this point are Wagner and Kendricks. The Legion of Boom itself would have given up yardage behind this.

5. The alternative, non-douchy-armchair-GM explanation is that this is a line designed to stop the run, and it's showing against mobile QB's like - well, everyone, it seems. Wilson is turning everyone into clones of himself and statue pocket QB's are a thing of the past. Winston is a streaky QB, not a bad QB, and today he shined.

6. LJ Collier is barely even seeing the field. I was afraid he'd be quiet this year when he totally failed to make any waves in the offseason. Promising rookies make their way onto the field eventually. Metcalf and Blair did; Barton, BBK, Amadi, and even Shaquem are getting special-teams usage. Collier is averaging eight snaps a game right now (before today) and none on special teams. This is supremely frustrating. What the hell, Clint Hurtt?

7. Our corners were crisped. It'll happen against Mike Evans. They're still good corners and I still like this secondary. That is all.

8. I completely forgot Ndamukong Suh was playing for TB now. I'd have predicted an even bigger blowout by the Bucs if I'd remembered that. Mad props to our offensive line for allowing as little pressure as they did (until the third quarter). Mike Iupati had a rough game.

9. I expected our offense to collapse with Joey Hunt at center, like it did last time he relieved Britt (against the Bucs, no less). It was pleasantly otherwise.

10. Jamar Taylor swinging off hips like a hula hoop can go away a year ago.

11. Hollister getting looks means that Wilson trusts him. He's putting in the work and could be a nice little matchup problem against a 49ers defense missing Kwon Alexander next week. Here's hoping.

12. That second Flowers DPI was bullhockey.

13. David Moore and Jaron Brown should be banished from those end-zone celebrations until they actually become reliable fixtures in the offense. It's really awkward watching them join in. This receiver corps falls off a cliff when it gets to them, and that's why I'm hoping against hope that Josh Gordon can stay out of trouble until at least December.

14. The nice thing about Chris Carson is that even if you don't lead with him, he'll find a way to shine anyway. He's a threat to rip off a 7-yard run at any time. Especially once Wilson has come out firing and scared the defense into playing back.

15. Rashaad Penny had one tough first-down run today that made me and several guys in the Gameday forum think it was Carson. He'll need to show more of that.

16. Anyone else think our special-teams has dramatically improved (with the exception of Myers)? Dickson, especially, is officially out of his slump and our coverage is aggressive and sound for the most part.

17. Wilson for MVP.

chris98251

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":34p5ohfw said:
A second viewing doesn't just tweak your original impressions of the game, it flat-out reverses some of them.

1. Winston passed for "only" 335 yards. Huh. Felt like a lot more. Maybe that's because that was most of the offense; Jones kept getting stuffed after 2-yard gains and forced Winston to pass for more. (Not that it was good to give up 335 yards passing.)

2. Tampa leaves a TE or RB in to block an awful lot. The result was that our pass rush was simply losing the numbers game much of the time. I didn't spot this on first viewing. The most double-teamed guys? Reed, Clowney, and Woods - basically, our only guys of any serious threat.

3. When Tampa wasn't loading up with these heavier sets, Winston was often just getting the ball out quick. That's the NFL standard now. Three-step drop, 11-yard hitch route. Three-step drop, screen. Three-step drop, fade or quick out. When we play soft coverage, they'll take the short-intermediate stuff all day. It's been happening to the Seahawks all year, and most everyone else. The only teams that don't face this regularly are the ones Seattle plays (and even Seattle has been better about it this year, and especially against Tampa). It's still true - the playbook is a great pass protector when used right, and Byron Leftwich did a great job mixing it up as OC.

4. That said, Pete has failed at reloading the defensive line. That, not philosophy or scheme, is the biggest factor in our struggles this year in my opinion. The look of this team is completely different without this problem. Three heavy-snap guys - Ansah, Green, and Jackson - are out there doing absolutely nothing. Ansah looks slow and heavy and the other two are just playing patty-cake. Nothing remarkable whatsoever. Honestly, our best pass rushers at this point are Wagner and Kendricks. The Legion of Boom itself would have given up yardage behind this.

5. The alternative, non-douchy-armchair-GM explanation is that this is a line designed to stop the run, and it's showing against mobile QB's like - well, everyone, it seems. Wilson is turning everyone into clones of himself and statue pocket QB's are a thing of the past. Winston is a streaky QB, not a bad QB, and today he shined.

6. LJ Collier is barely even seeing the field. I was afraid he'd be quiet this year when he totally failed to make any waves in the offseason. Promising rookies make their way onto the field eventually. Metcalf and Blair did; Barton, BBK, Amadi, and even Shaquem are getting special-teams usage. Collier is averaging eight snaps a game right now (before today) and none on special teams. This is supremely frustrating. What the hell, Clint Hurtt?

7. Our corners were crisped. It'll happen against Mike Evans. They're still good corners and I still like this secondary. That is all.

8. I completely forgot Ndamukong Suh was playing for TB now. I'd have predicted an even bigger blowout by the Bucs if I'd remembered that. Mad props to our offensive line for allowing as little pressure as they did (until the third quarter). Mike Iupati had a rough game.

9. I expected our offense to collapse with Joey Hunt at center, like it did last time he relieved Britt (against the Bucs, no less). It was pleasantly otherwise.

10. Jamar Taylor swinging off hips like a hula hoop can go away a year ago.

11. Hollister getting looks means that Wilson trusts him. He's putting in the work and could be a nice little matchup problem against a 49ers defense missing Kwon Alexander next week. Here's hoping.

12. That second Flowers DPI was bullhockey.

13. David Moore and Jaron Brown should be banished from those end-zone celebrations until they actually become reliable fixtures in the offense. It's really awkward watching them join in. This receiver corps falls off a cliff when it gets to them, and that's why I'm hoping against hope that Josh Gordon can stay out of trouble until at least December.

14. The nice thing about Chris Carson is that even if you don't lead with him, he'll find a way to shine anyway. He's a threat to rip off a 7-yard run at any time. Especially once Wilson has come out firing and scared the defense into playing back.

15. Rashaad Penny had one tough first-down run today that made me and several guys in the Gameday forum think it was Carson. He'll need to show more of that.

16. Anyone else think our special-teams has dramatically improved (with the exception of Myers)? Dickson, especially, is officially out of his slump and our coverage is aggressive and sound for the most part.

17. Wilson for MVP.

Agree with everything pretty much.

Nice summary !

rjdriver

Reaction score
Found myself nodding in the affirmative the whole post. Nice write up.

No idea that Collier was seeing the field so seldom. Frustrating. We get no pressure unless blitzing.

I would add that Carson’s fumbles are still an issue. Is there a fan alive that wasn’t screaming at the TV, knowing what was coming, on his long run.

Not counting the injury to Dissly, Ansah has to be the biggest disappointment of the season. he’s a shell of his former self.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
rjdriver":33if02ab said:
Found myself nodding in the affirmative the whole post. Nice write up.

No idea that Collier was seeing the field so seldom. Frustrating. We get no pressure unless blitzing.

I'm now seeing he played 6 snaps yesterday.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Great write up Montana. I enjoy posts like this. You should do this every week. ;)

D

DomeHawk

Jacob Hollister runs a 4.55-40. Not bad for a guy approaching 250 lbs.

getnasty

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up, i too enough theses type of post from you, Fade and Aros to name a few and hope you guys continue.

I found myself looking at the stats and thinking
it felt like we gave up more yardage then that too but i didn't look at penalty yardage so that could be why.

To me Hollister looks the part as a receiveing TE maybe even more then Dissley, eventhough you can't agrue agaisnt Dissley production.

mistaowen

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3sn5xorm said:

I think this is ultimately the crux of defensive issues. Even when Winston got rid of the ball quickly, it wasn't like he had to. I don't think there's a guy on the DL outside of Clowney doing anything but a bullrush, and ultimately failing. The offensive lines don't even form U shaped pockets, it's a straight line of all 5 linemen winning their 1 on 1. It's funny, we used to get upset at Bennett because sometimes he'd go rogue and get burned but at least he was trying something different while consistently generating pressure. Even if Clowney gets a nice jump (haven't checked recent stats but i know early on he accounted for something like 40% of the pressures) there isn't another guy there to help. He just gets doubled now.

Unfortunately there's no one in the waiting for us to say give up on the Ansah project. I think if there's an edge rusher in the draft, they will have to actually move up this year and use the army of picks they accumulated. Collier looks like a swing and miss so far.

All this said, Blair was the highest graded D player this week and continues to look like the real deal. Hopefully Diggs can secure the other safety spot or take nickel from Taylor who shouldn't be in the league. At least if they can drop the cover 2 because Pete trusts Blair in single high, the very average DL may have an extra second or two. Flowers is adequate but upgradeable I think, his coverage scores are routinely below average.

Great write-up overall, basically agree with everything.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, that game shouldn't have been close.

1. We miss a likely pick 6 that magically bounces straight up in the air and they get a TD. (Down 7 zip instead of UP 7 zip)

2. They make a 3rd down stop and Wags gets the roughing call. 7 points instead of 3.

3. Russ misses a rare sure TD to Lockett, and we don't even score on that drive. 7 MORE POINTS left off the board.

Also, this is a Bucs team that has lost a lot of close games AND smoked the Rams on the road.

7-2, I'll take it and not apologize for it. Clearly they need to get a pass rush going and change up the scheme on D.
But, I'm not going to assume that they have "no chance" against the Niners. I have expected a home and home split all year and still do. However, this team flat out CAN beat the Niners.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Hunt struggled last time he replaced Britt? I only remember him replacing Britt during the Cowboys game last year and I thought he played well.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I was nervous for good reason. They have some damn good D Lineman. And he did really well imo.
Every center, including Britt is going to be blown up once in awhile. Overall, I can't fathom not being happy with the performance of Hunt.