Jerry Brewer blames Carroll

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
That is the biggest load of crap I've heard in a long time and in this day and age that is really saying something.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Always compete is about learning to be the best you can be by competing not only against others but with yourself. It's about always striving to do the best you can and maximize your abilities. It's not just about 'beat the other guy or you're screwed'--in fact that would be contrary to what Pete wants.

sc85sis

Reaction score
This is a poem Pete wrote a few years back. It used to be on his web site; I actually found it on an old BR article just now.

"Always Compete"
By: Pete Carroll

Always Compete…

As you progress through your sporting life…

Always Compete.

If you want to go for it…

Always Compete.

You’re gonna have to make Choices in Life and those choices need to be Conscious Decisions. There’s only one person in Control here and that person is You…

You hold All the cards. You are the Master of You. It’s time to admit it…

You have always known this. So if you’re ready, act on it…

Always Compete.

Don’t you dare try to be too Cool, don’t you dare be afraid of Life, just “Dare to be Great,” and Let it Rip.

Always be Humble, Always be Kind, Always be Respectful…

Always Compete!

Everything You do counts and screams who You are…there is no hiding from You.

Act as if the Whole World will know who You are…

Always Compete.

Be True to Yourself and Let Nothing hold You back.

Compete to be the Greatest You and that will Always be enough and that will be a Lifetime!

Always Compete.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I blame the 12th man....thats right, if all you yelling/screaming lunatics had not created that overexcited atmosphere at the CLink our boys would not be feeling so pressured to satisfy the masses. So ssshhhhh for crying out loud before you ruin the whole damn season.

ohh, and :sarcasm_off:

HansGruber

Reaction score
I think it's Pete Carroll's fault that I got a parking ticket yesterday as well. He should pay for that. Damn you Carroll!!

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
I'm not sure you guys understand the difference between blame and spit balling about cause and effect... Thanks a lot, Pete!!!

olyfan63

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":9hyz57qa said:
SeaTown81":9hyz57qa said:
I only listen to and read journalists who I agree with 100%! Dissenting thought will not be tolerated! How dare anyone question my opinions and the things I hold dear! Burn the witch!!!

This is a strawman fallacy. No one has argued this, nor is anyone arguing that dissenting thought is the reason that Brewer's argument is a bad one. You are making up this argument, pretending that those who criticize Brewer have made it, and then knocking it down.

Let's try to be intellectually honest, here. Why do you think that Brewer's argument has merit?

The only merit Brewer's argument has is that it got people's attention and emotional engagement. It's a stupid, stupid argument, but hey, a lot of us bit. That's his job. Get people emotionally engaged and paying attention to you and the media outlet you represent. They don't have to *like* you, as long as they are reading you and your media employer, and are emotionally engaged. It was amusing watching the BS distortion and spin by the national media on "Fail Mary" and only local Seattle media showed the backside angles that supported the refs. National media was only about emotionally engaging butt-hurt Packer fans and attracting them to their sites to vent. Brewer is just using a variation of that formula, attacking PC to get our attention and emotional involvement, and TRAFFIC to his media outlet ma$ter. It's not like you should legitimately take him seriously on this.

olyfan63

Reaction score
gargantual":109ybr06 said:
Jville":109ybr06 said:
That perspective reminds me of those that have argued that Americans are to blame for 9-11.

That no fault mentality bestowed on offenders. That automatic reflex to aid their escape from responsibility. Made possible by this nation state's preoccupation with deflecting accountablity ...... "The blame game"
Don't remember people blaming America for 9-11 rather than other people accusing them of blaming America when merely pointing out that it's not a simple, black & white world we live in, and our long history of propping up horrifying dictators when it's suited us (Saddam Hussein, Mubarak, etc) and funding and training terrorists OURSELVES (like Al Queda during the Eighties).....all things that simply point out that things in this life are complex, and can't be diluted down to simplistic catch-phrases. Kind of like when fans or players dismiss criticism as "ahh, they're just haters."

And to veer back onto topic, Bruce Irvin DID accept responsibility, so isn't that really the whole point?

The function of this emotional engagement was to bypass our critical thinking about 9-11 by going straight to our emotions. Worked on hundreds of millions of us for years. Kept hundreds of millions of Americans from asking hard questions about what really happened, and the ridiculousness of the official story, "19 Arabs with boxcutters, controlled by a guy in a cave in Afghanistan, defeated our $400 billion air defense system." Kept us from talking about the unexplainable collapse of World Trade Center 7. Kept us from talking about the too-small-for-757-hole in the Pentagon. It's how media controlled by the ruling class works. So Americans ARE to blame for being HUMAN and being susceptible to propaganda and media story spin techniques that have been shown, over decades, to be successful on an aggregate group of humans. The ruling cla$$ count$ on thi$.

gargantual

Reaction score
My point was that people weren't "hating" on America by pointing out that sometimes some of the things we do ends up biting us in the ass. Arming and training Bin Laden's boys up in the hills of Afghanistan is the perfect example. Might not of been our best choice ever and expediency in arming anyone who is anti-Soviet just because wasn't our finest hour.

The other point I've heard is that it's easy to complain about what others do (those bad guys out there), but it's ultimately futile since you can't control what other people/groups do. That's why being self-critical is so important since that's covering something you CAN do something about. It has nothing to do with letting the perpetrators off the hook, but looking to see if there are ways we can improve how WE do things. At least in theory that's what living in a democracy is all about. Checks and balances...of the people and by the people and all that.

Oh and waaaaay off topic, but what the hell, it's the off-season.

gargantual

Reaction score
I'd say this thread is being self-critical (ie it's our team) but then there really isn't anything we can do about what our front office does...other than pressure them from the outside. It's often stated how we're just a message board and what we say doesn't count, but the "will" of the fans seems to have more effect than one might first think. Teams DO pay attention to their fan base.

Axx

Reaction score
I think it's Seahawks.net's fault for criticizing his run defending in the Atlanta game that pressured him into going PEDs.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I can MAYBE see this.. MAYBE if the guys testing positive for Adderall/Other PED's were say..

Jeremy Lane
Jaye Howard
Jermaine Kearse

And so forth. The guys who have been popped recently are all starters and lets face it, no one is beating out Richard Sherman/Brandon Browner or Bruce Irvin for their jobs right now. They're all key figures.

So this article and the idea that 'competition' breeds cheating is absolutely ridiculous. For whatever reason these guys took Adderall (also widely used in the party scene), got caught.. and that's the end.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
A couple of the guys, Barbre and Maxwell, fit the mold of your examples. It's entirely possible Irvin used Adderall for recreation but it's also possible the PED he was using wasn't even Adderall. Irvin might be pretty much guaranteed a significant role on the team even if only as a passing down rusher, but we also brought in Avril, watched Irvin get manhandled as a starter vs ATL, and heightened our collective expectations for the upcoming season. He might not be competing for a roster spot but he is competing for playing time and all the possible benefits of being a prolific starting pass rusher.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":lknal8v2 said:
A couple of the guys, Barbre and Maxwell, fit the mold of your examples. It's entirely possible Irvin used Adderall for recreation but it's also possible the PED he was using wasn't even Adderall. Irvin might be pretty much guaranteed a significant role on the team even if only as a passing down rusher, but we also brought in Avril, watched Irvin get manhandled as a starter vs ATL, and heightened our collective expectations for the upcoming season. He might not be competing for a roster spot but he is competing for playing time and all the possible benefits of being a prolific starting pass rusher.

The problem with your thinking is that is universal throughout the league. The majority of players busted for PED's are backups/fringe starters. Not a whole lot of high profile stars have been caught.

No one has proved this is a "competitive issue' that isn't common throughout the league that's why I don't buy Brewer's logic.

Seafan

Reaction score
Except for Danny O'Neal that fish wrap hasn't had any decent writers. I read Brewer's first article when he arrived and have not read another since. There are enough Seattle bloggers with better insight and sense I haven't regretted not reading the Times.