Panther fan with a player question

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Panther fan with a player question
Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:01 pm
  • Hey guys, I'm a huge Panthers fan and we recently signed DT Colin Cole. I thought we just signed the guy as a camp body but apparently our coaches like him a lot more than that. I saw that he last played for you guys in 2011 but I can't find why he hasn't played the last two years. Why did ya'll get rid of him and is he anything special? Thanks for any info you can give me on the guy. BTW you guys are really lucky to have NC State alum Russell Wilson on your team. I knew ya'll got a steal the second you drafted him. Best of luck this year and can't wait to play ya'll week 1.
    PantherFan
    NET Bench Warmer

Re: Panther fan with a player question
Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:04 pm
  • Good run stopper, that's about it.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:07 pm
  • Garbage, he's GARBAGE
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:08 pm
  • He was a decent run stopper but frankly I'm surprised he's still around.
    * NET Staff *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:12 pm
  • Oh alright... Well atleast we just drafted Star and Kawann Short. I hope ya'll are ready in September because the Panthers are no joke this year.
    PantherFan
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:19 pm
  • PantherFan wrote: I hope ya'll are ready in September because the Panthers are no joke this year.

The Seahawks are no joke either. Completely unfunny. Like Adam Sandler post Happy Gilmore/Billy Madison unfunny.
    80% of Planet Earth is covered by water.....The rest is covered by EARL THOMAS!
    SundayNiteBlackout
    National Guard 09-Present

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:19 pm
  • PantherFan wrote:Oh alright... Well atleast we just drafted Star and Kawann Short. I hope ya'll are ready in September because the Panthers are no joke this year.

One of the secrets to our success is that we don't take any team lightly.

We'll be ready.

;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:20 pm
  • PantherFan wrote:Oh alright... Well atleast we just drafted Star and Kawann Short. I hope ya'll are ready in September because the Panthers are no joke this year.

If the coaching staff thinks Colin Cole is good, then the Panthers may be a joke this year :D
    King Dog
    NET Starter

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:24 pm
  • Look at it this way, now getting old Seahawks players is probably an upgrade.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:27 pm
  • Rather than carry him on PUP (ankle), he was released with the final cuts in September 2011. Colin was an adequate 2 down run stopper at the 1 technique. Brandon Mebane moved over to replace him and upgraded the position in a big way.

What some fans here remember about Colin's play is what he was like at the last on a very bad ankle. He may very well turn out to be a productive part of the new rotation for the Jaguars in year 1 of a new defense.
    Last edited by Jville on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:29 pm
  • King Dog wrote:
    PantherFan wrote:Oh alright... Well atleast we just drafted Star and Kawann Short. I hope ya'll are ready in September because the Panthers are no joke this year.

If the coaching staff thinks Colin Cole is good, then the Panthers may be a joke this year :D
    Haha alright, i mean as our 5th DT. Not starting or anything
    PantherFan
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:30 pm
  • PantherFan wrote:Hey guys, I'm a huge Panthers fan and we recently signed DT Colin Cole. I thought we just signed the guy as a camp body but apparently our coaches like him a lot more than that. I saw that he last played for you guys in 2011 but I can't find why he hasn't played the last two years. Why did ya'll get rid of him and is he anything special? Thanks for any info you can give me on the guy. BTW you guys are really lucky to have NC State alum Russell Wilson on your team. I knew ya'll got a steal the second you drafted him. Best of luck this year and can't wait to play ya'll week 1.

He was a stopgap. Capable at run stuffing but not a gamechanger.

Here is a bit of scouting from one of our more popular fan sites:

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2009/3/1/7771 ... ole-hammer
    http://www.fieldgulls.com/2009/3/2/7781 ... ole-hammer

And a bit more from when he got cut. Long story short. Too expensive for an injrued player at the time with alternative value and equal or better production.

http://scouttheseahawks.com/2011/09/05/ ... -analysis/
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:31 pm
  • Jville wrote:Rather than carry him on PUP (ankle), he was released with the final cuts in September 2011. Colin was an adequate 2 down run stopper at the 1 technique. Brandon Mebane moved over to replace him and upgraded the position in a big way.

What some fans here remember about Colin's play is what he was like at the last on a very bad ankle. He may very well turn out to be a productive for the Jaguars in their first year of building their new defense.
    Jaguars? Sarcasm?
    PantherFan
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:33 pm
  • Welcome! I liked Cole because he was an effort guy (imo) and that effort just landed him a job.

However he did very little and was deep on the depth chart that sucked at DT. (Yeah I am not super happy with DT play right now)

Overall he will make your team...but depth.
    Spokane
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:33 pm
  • PantherFan wrote:
    Jville wrote:Rather than carry him on PUP (ankle), he was released with the final cuts in September 2011. Colin was an adequate 2 down run stopper at the 1 technique. Brandon Mebane moved over to replace him and upgraded the position in a big way.

What some fans here remember about Colin's play is what he was like at the last on a very bad ankle. He may very well turn out to be a productive for the Jaguars in their first year of building their new defense.
    Jaguars? Sarcasm?

Jaguars, Panthers...both cat teams. :thirishdrinkers:
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:36 pm
  • :0190l:
    Last edited by Spokane on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Spokane
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:37 pm
  • PantherFan wrote:
    Jville wrote:Rather than carry him on PUP (ankle), he was released with the final cuts in September 2011. Colin was an adequate 2 down run stopper at the 1 technique. Brandon Mebane moved over to replace him and upgraded the position in a big way.

Jaguars? Sarcasm?

:34853_doh: Sorry about that. I was thinking about Gus Bradley earlier today.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:37 pm
  • FlyingGreg wrote:
    PantherFan wrote:

Jaguars? Sarcasm?

Haha don't even go there. We will never be Jaguars bad. BTW I hope ya'll don't still have NC State's old DT starting at guard anymore because our pass rush will be top 3 in the NFL this year. The kraken is coming! :mrgreen:
    PantherFan
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:45 pm
  • PantherFan wrote:Haha don't even go there. We will never be Jaguars bad. BTW I hope ya'll don't still have NC State's old DT starting at guard anymore because our pass rush will be top 3 in the NFL this year. The kraken is coming! :mrgreen:

Ah, the mighty roar of the paper panther.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:48 pm
  • PantherFan wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:
    PantherFan wrote:[quote="Jville"]Rather than carry him on PUP (ankle), he was released with the final cuts in September 2011. Colin was an adequate 2 down run stopper at the 1 technique. Brandon Mebane moved over to replace him and upgraded the position in a big way.

Jaguars? Sarcasm?

Haha don't even go there. We will never be Jaguars bad. BTW I hope ya'll don't still have NC State's old DT starting at guard anymore because our pass rush will be top 3 in the NFL this year. The kraken is coming! :mrgreen:[/quote]
    Just keep the Falclowns out of the playoffs and we will see haha.
    Decimation
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:02 pm
  • Maybe he'll work out on your team. I wish you good luck. I have a feeling we'll beat you a lot worse this season.
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:03 pm
  • For a big dude he got pushed back on a lot of one on ones. But as a camp body/reserve might as well see if he's got anything left.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:25 pm
  • He is crap. Like the post above says, he pushed around on one on ones. He was walked backed 5-6 yards on double teams. He is not a run stopper. He is a big waste of space. I was so happy when he was let go.
    "If we lose ... this place will be a Carnival of Stupidity." FlyingGreg
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:30 pm
  • He is a decent run-stopper, but doesn't provide much in terms of pass rush. Good piece to a rotation.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:48 pm
  • Jesse Willims>Allan Branch>Colin Cole
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:11 pm
  • This isn't even close to the same Seahawks team you played last year. I hope you're ready.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:10 pm
  • Cole was a mediocre run stuffer with zero pass rush, three seasons ago. I doubt he makes the Panthers roster after they added Lotulelei and Short.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:11 pm
  • kearly wrote:Cole was a mediocre run stuffer with zero pass rush, three seasons ago. I doubt he makes the Panthers roster after they added Lotulelei and Short.

Take this statement to the bank, mate. And then say you heard it here first when it happens.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:34 am
  • The most recent picture of Cole that I found. Heavy, but easy to go around.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:35 am
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    PantherFan wrote:Haha don't even go there. We will never be Jaguars bad. BTW I hope ya'll don't still have NC State's old DT starting at guard anymore because our pass rush will be top 3 in the NFL this year. The kraken is coming! :mrgreen:

Panthers are my #2 team, since I live in the Charlotte area. The Panthers did have 39 sacks last year...They were underrated in that department and they just upgraded with two quality DT picks. The d-line will be good. The secondary sucks though and they did not address that need in the offseason other than picking journeymen FAs Drayton Florence and DJ Moore--not much of an upgrade after losing perinial starter, Chris Gamble.
    aawolf
    NET Starter

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:01 am
  • aawolf wrote:
    CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    PantherFan wrote:Haha don't even go there. We will never be Jaguars bad. BTW I hope ya'll don't still have NC State's old DT starting at guard anymore because our pass rush will be top 3 in the NFL this year. The kraken is coming! :mrgreen:

Panthers are my #2 team, since I live in the Charlotte area. The Panthers did have 39 sacks last year...They were underrated in that department and they just upgraded with two quality DT picks. The d-line will be good. The secondary sucks though and they did not address that need in the offseason other than picking journeymen FAs Drayton Florence and DJ Moore--not much of an upgrade after losing perinial starter, Chris Gamble.

So, what you are saying is that they are paper panthers?
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:26 am
    CurryStopstheRuns wrote:Ah, the mighty roar of the paper panther.

Would you sound any different on an opponents message board? Have a little class, he's here with good intentions asking about Colin Cole. No need to rile him up by insulting his team. There are 32 other fanbases that are just as excited about their teams as we are about ours.

(Well maybe not 32, but there are at least a few that have high hopes)
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:40 am
  • JesterHawk wrote:
    CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    CurryStopstheRuns wrote:Ah, the mighty roar of the paper panther.

Would you sound any different on an opponents message board? Have a little class, he's here with good intentions asking about Colin Cole. No need to rile him up by insulting his team. There are 32 other fanbases that are just as excited about their teams as we are about ours.

(Well maybe not 32, but there are at least a few that have high hopes)

edited by radish for language attacking poster
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:05 am
  • Cole, when he got paid aka when he came to Seattle his game fell off quite a bit. Undersized and not very strong, I doubt he makes the team. He seems like a guy that just wants the money and could careless about wins and losses.
    McG
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:09 am

If by "paper panthers" you mean good enough on paper to be a playoff team? No. I think Atlanta or New O'leens will win the division and I think the wildcards will come out of the NFC West--(Rams, 9'ers, or Hawks). I think the Panthers are good enough to get 9 wins though, which is better than last year but won't be enough to get in the playoffs. They usually play Atlanta close and may challenge them for the division, but if NO returns to form, they're probably will be out of the race.
    aawolf
    NET Starter

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:12 am
  • On his best days he was mediocre at BEST.

R.I.P. Brother Les, I'll always know you as Pithy Radish.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:29 am
  • Did someone finally remove the Kryptonite from Cam's locker?
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:40 am

I like those 2 picks for the Panters. That should really help their DL. I was hoping Seattle would get Kawaan Short.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:45 am

The Panthers are my pick for 'surprise' team next year. However, I think our defense matches up well against the Panthers offense, and I think our offense is to going to be scary good. Should be a great opening weekend game, though.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:01 am
  • PantherFan wrote:Haha don't even go there. We will never be Jaguars bad. BTW I hope ya'll don't still have NC State's old DT starting at guard anymore because our pass rush will be top 3 in the NFL this year. The kraken is coming!

Aw man....Sweezy is a cool story you don't see that often in the NFL. Let's leave the Wolfpack out of this, k? haha
    NC State Seahawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:30 am

Sooooo... Are you saying that since the Panthers drafted those two guys that they will suddenly be relavent? Hmmm.
    RussWILSON3
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:42 pm
  • Cole is my least favorite type of DT. Instead of anchoring in, when he gets double teamed he sinks back in order to shed the block rather than hold his own and not give away free yards. He gets tackles this way, but they are six yards downfield. He was better in 2011, a little more inconsistent, but he should be a spot rotational guy, nothing more.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:38 pm
  • RussWILSON3 wrote:
    PantherFan wrote:Oh alright... Well atleast we just drafted Star and Kawann Short. I hope ya'll are ready in September because the Panthers are no joke this year.

Sooooo... Are you saying that since the Panthers drafted those two guys that they will suddenly be relavent? Hmmm.

Well considering atleast three of our losses came from Dline play last year, yeah. 10-6 seems pretty relevant. But anyway thanks guys for all the info. Definitely have a better understanding now. Go Panthers!
    PantherFan
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:40 pm
  • NC State Seahawk wrote:
    PantherFan wrote:Haha don't even go there. We will never be Jaguars bad. BTW I hope ya'll don't still have NC State's old DT starting at guard anymore because our pass rush will be top 3 in the NFL this year. The kraken is coming!

Aw man....Sweezy is a cool story you don't see that often in the NFL. Let's leave the Wolfpack out of this, k? haha
    Haha I'm a huge pack fan myself. Just thought that was a kinda shocking story.
    PantherFan
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:14 pm

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:23 pm
  • It ain't easy being Sweezy...
    Harperville
    NET Practice Squad

Wed May 01, 2013 1:09 am
  • CodeWarrior wrote:Seems like folks on the Carolina MB consider Wilson to be a poor man's Cam:
    http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/85988-lets-get-this-party-started-how-do-we-beat-seattle/page-9

So let me ask ya: which team has the edge at QB?

Wilson - Rating 100.0 Ranked #4 in NFL, QBR 69.6 Ranked #8 in NFL
    Cam - Rating 86.2 Ranked #15 in NFL, QBR 54.2 Ranked #16 in NFL

I don't think they understand what ''poor man's insert player name here'' means.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 5:06 am
  • While Cam is no joke, its clear that RW is the better QB. Cam has a tendency to get flusterred, especially late in games...the meltdowns are often costly. If you've ever watched the Panther scores flash at the bottom of the screen during a game in the first half, and the Panthers have the lead, chances are they will blow it in the second half. It was infuriating as a fan. RW is the opposite...he's always cool, always under control, down to the end no matter what. There will be moments with Cam when he rumbles down half the field when a play breaks down or throws a lazer deep ball that will leave you in awe. But, RW does that too. Both are clear franchise QBs, but RW is better.
    aawolf
    NET Starter

Wed May 01, 2013 5:34 am
  • Wilson is, and will continue to be a better overall player than Cam. Cam has a ton of talent, no doubt. But in the clutch, he just doesn't have it. Also, his cockiness and the media dry humping (especially by Deion Sanders) gets real old. That stupid Superman pose thing he does is almost as annoying as Krapperdink and his Bicep kissing.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 7:39 am
  • Cam's pouting and inability to quickly overcome, or even mask, his disappointment and frustration would drive me crazy if I were a Panther's fan.

And if our board had ads like theirs, that would drive me crazy too.

GO HAWKS!
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:45 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information