Panther fan with a player question

gargantual

Reaction score
PantherFan":uvaagx2k said:
Where are the Panthers on the power rankings? 21st?
Once again i'm not doubting who's the better team. But power rankings? Give me a break lol...Ya'll were ranked 22nd in last years
Didn't mean to be a jerk, especially to a friendly person just here for info.

Being where we're at is a new experience, even compared to '05. Letting it go to my head a bit :shy:

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
PantherFan":nxfpmbz9 said:
gargantual":nxfpmbz9 said:
That was Russell Wilson forced to wear training wheels by old Petey the first part of last year. You'll be getting the latter-half-of-the-season Hawks this time, force multiplied ad infinitum. You don't have a clue what's coming.

Where are the Panthers on the power rankings? 21st? http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings
Once again i'm not doubting who's the better team. But power rankings? Give me a break lol...Ya'll were ranked 22nd in last years

At the start of last year, 22nd was probably about right. Rookie quarterback, team with a lot of questions coming into a tougher division after a sub-par 7-9 previous season.

OP
OP
P

PantherFan

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":wexz36q4 said:
PantherFan":wexz36q4 said:
gargantual":wexz36q4 said:
That was Russell Wilson forced to wear training wheels by old Petey the first part of last year. You'll be getting the latter-half-of-the-season Hawks this time, force multiplied ad infinitum. You don't have a clue what's coming.

Where are the Panthers on the power rankings? 21st? http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

At the start of last year, 22nd was probably about right. Rookie quarterback, team with a lot of questions coming into a tougher division after a sub-par 7-9 previous season.
That's right. Which proves power rankings mean absolutely nothing.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
PantherFan":8njly90l said:
Seahawk Sailor":8njly90l said:

My point wasn't that power rankings mean absolutely nothing, it was that they change as a team changes over the season. The Seahawks team that started out from a 7-9 season the previous year went 11-5 and deep into the playoffs. They answered the questions raised at the beginning of the season. The Panthers team that started out from a 6-10 season the previous year ended up 7-9. Questions were also answered there.

We are a very complete team in a tough division, coming off a great year with a league top-5 quarterback and running back, who just picked up a top tier receiver, and had a solid draft. How is it odd that we would be considered a #1 team? The Panthers are a team that went one game better than their previous 6-10 season, with questions still left to be answered. #21 is probably about right to start the year, even if they go to the Super Bowl this year.

OP
OP
P

PantherFan

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3to782h5 said:
PantherFan":3to782h5 said:
Seahawk Sailor":3to782h5 said:

My point wasn't that power rankings mean absolutely nothing, it was that they change as a team changes over the season. The Seahawks team that started out from a 7-9 season the previous year went 11-5 and deep into the playoffs. They answered the questions raised at the beginning of the season. The Panthers team that started out from a 6-10 season the previous year ended up 7-9. Questions were also answered there.

We are a very complete team in a tough division, coming off a great year with a league top-5 quarterback and running back, who just picked up a top tier receiver, and had a solid draft. How is it odd that we would be considered a #1 team? The Panthers are a team that went one game better than their previous 6-10 season, with questions still left to be answered. #21 is probably about right to start the year, even if they go to the Super Bowl this year.
Did I question the Seahawks ranking? and woah, top 5 QB? After 1 yeaar? Seahawks fans sure have gained alot of confidence over the past year.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
PantherFan":2wunkn75 said:
Seahawk Sailor":2wunkn75 said:
At the start of last year, ]

Woah, top 5 QB? After 1 yeaar? Seahawks fans sure have gained alot of confidence over the past year.

Statistically speaking Russell WIlson WAS a top 5 QB last year. Only 4 QB's had QB ratings at 100 or higher. RW was #4 on that list. The new QBR ratings he was ranked #8. I think we can both agree that it would be silly to say he's not in the top 10 of QB's based solely on his 2012 performance, right?

He ranked #8 in Completion % (64.1%) with Rivers. Ahead of Brees and Brady (Though he didn't throw it nearly as much) Cam was #26 with a 57.7%
He ranked #4 in yards/ Attp - Cam Newton was #3.
Ranked #9 (tied) in passing TD's with 26, (tied with Manning, Rivers, Big Ben). Newton ranked #19 with 21 TD's.
Ranked #2 behind Rodgers in Att/TD- Rodgers was 7.07%, RW was 6.62% In other words Rodgers threw a TD every 14.15 passes last year. RW in 2nd place (ahead of Brees, Manning) threw a TD every 15.12 pass attempts.

Cam Newton was #22 in this statistic with a 3.92% or a TD pass every 25.53 throws.

OP
OP
P

PantherFan

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1ah0umu9 said:
PantherFan":1ah0umu9 said:
Seahawk Sailor":1ah0umu9 said:
At the start of last year, ]

Woah, top 5 QB? After 1 yeaar? Seahawks fans sure have gained alot of confidence over the past year.

Statistically speaking Russell WIlson WAS a top 5 QB last year. Only 4 QB's had QB ratings at 100 or higher. RW was #4 on that list. The new QBR ratings he was ranked #8. I think we can both agree that it would be silly to say he's not in the top 10 of QB's based solely on his 2012 performance, right?

He ranked #8 in Completion % (64.1%) with Rivers. Ahead of Brees and Brady (Though he didn't throw it nearly as much) Cam was #26 with a 57.7%
He ranked #4 in yards/ Attp - Cam Newton was #3.
Ranked #9 (tied) in passing TD's with 26, (tied with Manning, Rivers, Big Ben). Newton ranked #19 with 21 TD's.
Ranked #2 behind Rodgers in Att/TD- Rodgers was 7.07%, RW was 6.62% In other words Rodgers threw a TD every 14.15 passes last year. RW in 2nd place (ahead of Brees, Manning) threw a TD every 15.12 pass attempts.

Cam Newton was #22 in this statistic with a 3.92% or a TD pass every 25.53 throws.
Top 10 based on 2012? Sure. As an NC State fan I'm pulling for Wilson. Just don't get to carried away after one season. Just sayin. With Cam's surrounding cast right now, I'm very happy with his progress. Like I said, we're building around him.

camdawg

Reaction score
PantherFan":2q2tlerg said:
The Seahawks and Panthers actually scored about the same amount of touchdowns last year, so i wouldn't say that's it gargantual. Our problem was defense. Cam doesn't get to play game manager like RW, he always has to play keep up.

A possible counter is that Cam got to play against an easier set of defenses than Russell did. NFC South, AFC West, etc.

To make this a bit less argumentative, can you tell us more about the 2012 Panthers? Very quietly, you won your last four games, including a great home performance against the Falcons. You can stretch it out to the Panthers winning five of the last six, and six of the last nine games.

What changed about your team that made/helped you guys play a lot better?

OP
OP
P

PantherFan

Reaction score
camdawg":3durszhi said:
PantherFan":3durszhi said:
The Seahawks and Panthers actually scored about the same amount of touchdowns last year, so i wouldn't say that's it gargantual. Our problem was defense. Cam doesn't get to play game manager like RW, he always has to play keep up.

A possible counter is that Cam got to play against an easier set of defenses than Russell did. NFC South, AFC West, etc.

To make this a bit less argumentative, can you tell us more about the 2012 Panthers? Very quietly, you won your last four games, including a great home performance against the Falcons. You can stretch it out to the Panthers winning five of the last six, and six of the last nine games.

What changed about your team that made/helped you guys play a lot better?
Well, oddly enough, the same thing happened the season before. But I think what caused us to be able to finally close out games was our defense started clicking. We went from a 20th ranked defense to a top 10. We benched our starting CB and safety and allowed some other guys to take over the secondary. The secondary was easily our biggest problem last year until the last five games. I think our FO saw enough from that group of guys to trust them going into next season(considering we didn't draft secondary). If they can continue their play from last season, our defense will be scary good. We already know we have a top three front 7.