First attempted female NFL player fails miserably

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • I don't want to sound mean or politically incorrect, but I thought this story was darkly hilarious. Reads like something from the Onion or the Daily Show or maybe failblog.org.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/ ... ker-tryout

Silberman's first kick went only 16 yards and she appeared to injure herself on the kick. She took another kick, but that one was even worse, flying just 14 yards.

A former soccer player, Silberman had never played football before. She hoped that the time she spent with video games would give her an advantage, but the 28-year-old never really got a chance to kick due to her injury and will not make an NFL team right now.

Tough break and all that. I admire her ambition, but if you can't make ONE punt without injuring yourself, it's probably not meant to be.

Also, video games? Really?
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• I'm not a PC type, football isn't a game I envision women and men playing alongside each other. Get a pro woman's league going, all having a woman in the NFL will do is make contact illegal because of the public outcry that they'd dare run into a woman kicker. And why should they take it easy and play at half speed just because of a girl in uniform, she's getting paid to endure what any guy would in her position.

Could see a fake field goal attempt and a woman kicker being fair game by the rules and leveled by the defense being a PR disaster for the NFL.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

• Maybe she can make it in the Lingerie league.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:Maybe she can make it in the Lingerie league.

Well Goodell is trying to make the league less violent, possibly a means to bring flags out and remove helmets and pads. Get players in touch with their feminine sides. Where's Broadway Joe when you need him, I bet he still wears Panty Hose at home.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    NET Veteran

• Lady Talon wrote:I'm not a PC type, football isn't a game I envision women and men playing alongside each other. Get a pro woman's league going, all having a woman in the NFL will do is make contact illegal because of the public outcry that they'd dare run into a woman kicker. And why should they take it easy and play at half speed just because of a girl in uniform, she's getting paid to endure what any guy would in her position.

Could see a fake field goal attempt and a woman kicker being fair game by the rules and leveled by the defense being a PR disaster for the NFL.

Is this Lady Talon speak for her not being able to kick the ball worth a shit either.

:D

She brings up a great point, get a woman kicker and no player in their right mind would dare run into her. Can you imagine the riot on the field, let alone in the courtrooms?

hahahahaha
    Getting ready for some football
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Reminds me of an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia where Dee tries out for the Jets to kick... can't find a clip of it, but here's another funny clip from the same episode:

nategreat
    NET Veteran

• I read something about how this was likely a PR move on her part. She has some sports company or something she's trying to promote, so why not get your name out there as the first female at the combine?
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• The Radish wrote:
    Lady Talon wrote:I'm not a PC type, football isn't a game I envision women and men playing alongside each other. Get a pro woman's league going, all having a woman in the NFL will do is make contact illegal because of the public outcry that they'd dare run into a woman kicker. And why should they take it easy and play at half speed just because of a girl in uniform, she's getting paid to endure what any guy would in her position.

Is this Lady Talon speak for her not being able to kick the ball worth a shit either.

She brings up a great point, get a woman kicker and no player in their right mind would dare run into her. Can you imagine the riot on the field, let alone in the courtrooms?

hahahahaha

I don't really try it with footballs Radish, but stuff two of them in a canvas bag, throw me a horrible pickup line and I'll split any upright in the world. :)
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Maybe she can make it in the Lingerie league.

Well Goodell is trying to make the league less violent, possibly a means to bring flags out and remove helmets and pads. Get players in touch with their feminine sides. Where's Broadway Joe when you need him, I bet he still wears Panty Hose at home.

FWIW, I wouldn't necessarily call the LFL less violent. Watch some videos if you get a chance, those girls are really ballin out there. Granted, they're obviously not as big and strong as the men playing in the NFL, but relatively speaking, I'd say it's pretty much on par violence-wise.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• chris98251 wrote:Well Goodell is trying to make the league less violent, possibly a means to bring flags out and remove helmets and pads. Get players in touch with their feminine sides. Where's Broadway Joe when you need him, I bet he still wears Panty Hose at home.

I suppose the retired players trying to sue the league for gazillions over safety, and the current players & their union whining 24/7/365 about how the NFL doesn't care about their safety have nothing to do with it, eh? Just all Goodell being a wuss?
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Well Goodell is trying to make the league less violent, possibly a means to bring flags out and remove helmets and pads. Get players in touch with their feminine sides. Where's Broadway Joe when you need him, I bet he still wears Panty Hose at home.

I suppose the retired players trying to sue the league for gazillions over safety, and the current players & their union whining 24/7/365 about how the NFL doesn't care about their safety have nothing to do with it, eh? Just all Goodell being a wuss?

If you join the army do you sue the government or the the enemy because you were shot or died? They signed up for a sport or occupation knowing their were injury risks, they had a concussion or were otherwise injured and kept playing. If you are doing something that is causing your body harm there is a certain amount of responsibility on your shoulders as well.

Hockey, CFL, are also sports of impact, I have yet to hear of a lawsuit there.

If I'm a logger and a tree falls on me am i suppose to sue as well if all safety precautions available were taken at that time.

Where the league has improved equipment over the years there is more they could have done to invest in new technology. But like any other business until there is a need why spend that money if things are being worked on outside of your business wanting to sell them to you.

.Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    NET Veteran

• Chris, I'm siding more with the league than the players; by a long shot. I was bringing that up because you were hating on Goodell pretty hard. Which, for most people around here, means they side massively with the players.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:Chris, I'm siding more with the league than the players; by a long shot. I was bringing that up because you were hating on Goodell pretty hard. Which, for most people around here, means they side massively with the players.

Lawyers have to respond with an arguement for a lawsuit, Goodell is a Lawyer but he is also egotistical I think, the league has taken advantage of their position as the biggest stage in the country. They have used that position and money to make players go beyond what most would not do in a regular employment situation, but still after all these years the players have to decide when it's more important to remain relatively healthy versus a big paycheck.

Its a two sided arguement to be sure, not all on the league since they have evolved equipment and medical facilities, not all on the players since they have a contract they get pushed or in the past felt obligated to honor, they also feel they would lose their positions on a team if they looked out for their own best interests.

chris98251
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Well Goodell is trying to make the league less violent, possibly a means to bring flags out and remove helmets and pads. Get players in touch with their feminine sides. Where's Broadway Joe when you need him, I bet he still wears Panty Hose at home.

Jesus Christ. You're so predictable. It's the worker's fault, not the people in charge. Unless we're talking government, then it's their fault. ;)
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• therealjohncarlson wrote:I read something about how this was likely a PR move on her part. She has some sports company or something she's trying to promote, so why not get your name out there as the first female at the combine?

All PR, in my opinion as a girl.

And she did accomplish that. If you read her statements, she was not concerned with doing much, other than being there.

And sorry, but as to Lingerie League, you did see her pics, right?
    Los Angeles Rams' fan who lives in San Diego.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

• That was nothing more than a publicity stunt, and one that not only failed miserably, but probably did the exact opposite of what it intended to do. It was supposed to highlight the fact that maybe women could compete on the same level as men even in the NFL. What it showed us is she was nowhere close to the level of even some of the guys who aren't good enough to make the team. Hell, I could go out and kick longer field goals than she did, right now, and I'm older than a lot of NFL retirees.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * Natural Rubbing Action *

• Center would be the perfect position for her.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Thanks for finding this. This and the A-Rod story about him not actually giving the money he raised for charity to an actual charity made my morning. I wish there was video of this!
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• And, my whites went uncleaned the same day as her tryout. Messed up.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:Jesus Christ. You're so predictable. It's the worker's fault, not the people in charge. Unless we're talking government, then it's their fault. ;)

Even more predictable is what you think I said compared to what I actually said. I was just asking if there was no blame to be placed on the players. I didn't say anything about how much I think should be put on them. Making assumptions, much?

:lol:
    Last edited by RolandDeschain on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Women don't have wieners.
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• Hawk Strap wrote:Women don't have wieners.

Not true, the keepers do. The key phrase is "can you unwrap the candy", and voila, weiner.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Mo Isom got "close" with LSU

Great article on Grantland about her

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/827 ... ws-not-end

If they can compete straight up and win the job I am fine with them playing with men.

I have always looked at women sporting leagues as inferior to mens in basically every sport. I have yet to find one sport where I would rather watch the women version over the men version. It is not a sexist thing it just isn't as enjoyable as it isn't on the same level. So with that said I have no issue with women that wants to play in a higher league.

OK before I get blased here is an example. Sweden's women national soccer team which is one of the top 8 national teams in the world played against a boys YOUTH soccer team. This wasn't the national soccer youth team -- it was one soccer teams U17 team. The U17 team dominated to the extent that after 1-0 in halftime (I guess they couldn't score :)) the Swedish national team coach (that up to recently was the US Women coach - Pia Sundhage) asked the coach of the boys team to only use 10 players for the second half.

Final score - boys 3 - women 0

So no problem with a woman that can play in a higher league even though men can't play in the women's league
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Women's tennis is more gooder, IMO.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• I'd much rather watch Women's Basketball than Men's.

The women play a team game and some of them can actually shot & pass. Whereas men mostly do ally opps, 3 pointers, dunks, its really boring and I gave it up long ago.

:les:
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Lady Talon wrote:
    The Radish wrote:
    Lady Talon wrote:I'm not a PC type, football isn't a game I envision women and men playing alongside each other. Get a pro woman's league going, all having a woman in the NFL will do is make contact illegal because of the public outcry that they'd dare run into a woman kicker. And why should they take it easy and play at half speed just because of a girl in uniform, she's getting paid to endure what any guy would in her position.

hahahahaha

I don't really try it with footballs Radish, but stuff two of them in a canvas bag, throw me a horrible pickup line and I'll split any upright in the world. :)

Ok.....is this to much information or something I should look into further? I'm not sure I understand all I know about this.

:shock:
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Even if she had kicked amazingly well, I still doubt an NFL team would have signed her. There's just too much other stuff to consider in the male-only sport and it could have become a major distraction for some team.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• Watching the kicking attempt reminded me of the England v France womens rugby union international that the BBC showed about a week ago. In that a ladies conversion attempt just skidded along the ground and came to a halt near the bottom of the goalposts.
    ronnieboycefanclub
    NET Bench Warmer

• Reason number 1387 that women belong in the kitchen.
    poop
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• The Radish wrote:
    Lady Talon wrote:I don't really try it with footballs Radish, but stuff two of them in a canvas bag, throw me a horrible pickup line and I'll split any upright in the world. :)

Ok.....is this to much information or something I should look into further? I'm not sure I understand all I know about this.

:shock:

I was only demonstrating that I could kick the hell out of balls under the right circumstances. Not like you could replicate those circumstances on many NFL fields though. But, I could be wrong, some of the cat calls from the DL could make me purposely whiff on that kick by a mile and make some mouthy fool into a strong case for mandatory cup usage.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Jesus Christ. You're so predictable. It's the worker's fault, not the people in charge. Unless we're talking government, then it's their fault. ;)

Even more predictable is what you think I said compared to what I actually said. I was just asking if there was no blame to be placed on the players. I didn't say anything about how much I think should be put on them. Making assumptions, much?

I'm just flippin ya crap but am I misreading this or did you mean to say something else?

RolandDeschain wrote:I'm siding more with the league than the players; by a long shot.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:I'm just flippin ya crap but am I misreading this or did you mean to say something else?

Oh, I said it; I was just kind of trolling you back. Though, looking back, it was a pretty bad attempt. I blame the fact that I stayed up reading until 3:40am last night, when I had to wake up at 7:15am. : /
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Here is a great article on NFL.com about this complete sham: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... al-combine

She went along today, apparently, because a friend told her to 'give it a go'. She'd never kicked before in her life. Someone had to show her how to tee up the football. And she faked an injury when it all went oh so wrong. It's all a great big publicity stunt. And she had the gall to turn round after and say she hoped this would inspire other women to break barriers in sport.

She should be thoroughly ashamed of herself.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• So hackey. Just pure gimmick.

What's next? A Brit with a Seahawks draft blog?
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• theENGLISHseahawk wrote:She should be thoroughly ashamed of herself.

Why, exactly? She paid money to be there as is her right. She bombed out. If not for the hooplah she'd be no different than any other kicker who was outclassed by the competition. If that's how she wants to spend her money, what's wrong with it?
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• jkitsune wrote:Why, exactly? She paid money to be there as is her right. She bombed out. If not for the hooplah she'd be no different than any other kicker who was outclassed by the competition. If that's how she wants to spend her money, what's wrong with it?

It earned future female combine candidates more male scorn.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• All they could be are kickers anyways. No one cares about them and it's not like they can break the bank with those contracts. If the NFL (and US law) is prepared to let it's female athletes juice up to catch up, then were getting somewhere.

Of course, if you think it's bad enough that male athletes sue the NFL for ruining their health, just wait until women finally break in. A new league will have to be formed just to recognize pro football after that trigger is pulled.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

• jkitsune wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:She should be thoroughly ashamed of herself.

Why, exactly? She paid money to be there as is her right. She bombed out. If not for the hooplah she'd be no different than any other kicker who was outclassed by the competition. If that's how she wants to spend her money, what's wrong with it?

Nothing wrong with it at all, but at least be open about it. Admit that you're a complete amateur who went along for the ride. DO NOT claim this as some moral victory for women in sport. How patronising! There are world class sportswomen already competing with men. She's trying to make out that this is some kind of ground breaking moment, because she could be arsed to go along to this event. And now any female who wishes to compete in these mini-combine events in the future will almost certainly be sneered at because of this sham.

Again, I'll refer to the NFL.com piece: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... al-combine

Katie Hnida, the real female place-kicking trailblazer -- the one who kicked for years before she tried out for her high school team and even more years before she walked on first at Colorado and then at New Mexico -- was too classy to knock Silberman, as well. She's a woman, she pulls for women and she still mentors young female kickers all around the country who are toiling, day in and day out, to prove their exceptionalism. She expressed sorrow that it didn't go better for Silberman. And then Hnida was told Silberman said, "I really hope this shines a spotlight on sports generally for women."

Silence.

More silence.

Then finally, Hnida said she didn't want to go there.

Fine, then allow me: This wasn't the spotlight we were looking for.

"I really hope this shines a spotlight on sports generally for women."

Yeah, and next time I draw a stick man skateboarding down the road, I hope that'll shine a spotlight on fine art for men.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• jkitsune wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:She should be thoroughly ashamed of herself.

If she went o actually try to make a team that would be one thing, but this whole thing was a cheap publicity stunt. Naive much?
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• If anything, she made women take a couple steps back for making a mockery of the combine. She hurts the chances of all of the women that actually take it seriously and are legitimate kickers.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• HawkFan72 wrote:Even if she had kicked amazingly well, I still doubt an NFL team would have signed her. There's just too much other stuff to consider in the male-only sport and it could have become a major distraction for some team.

I disagree. You find a woman that is money at 55 yards and under and there aren’t many NFL teams that passes on her because of distractions. If that was the case there are lots of WRs that would be out of their jobs in their prime and not currently out of a job when they can no longer add much value……

And if that fails there is always the Jets………

The Radish wrote:I'd much rather watch Women's Basketball than Men's.

The women play a team game and some of them can actually shot & pass. Whereas men mostly do ally opps, 3 pointers, dunks, its really boring and I gave it up long ago.
    :les:

“Some of them can actually shot & pass”………. I guess I put the standard of what I watch slightly higher than some of them. The NBA players are incredibly skilled at what they do

pehawk wrote:Women's tennis is more gooder, IMO.

This is probably the sport that most people in the US say they would watch women over men. The level of skills is still clearly below the men and the freaking grunting is annoying as heck. If I wanted to listen to that then I would turn on the internet and find something XXX rated……..
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Women's volleyball is far more entertaining than Men's volleyball.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

• Maybe she get a job in the NFL as a Fluffer.

Looks like the same type who does body shots off Kaep's lint hole.
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

• Great thread, but the winner is Largent80. I'm surprised the thread didn't just end itself on its own after he posted.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• BASF wrote:Women's volleyball is far more entertaining than Men's volleyball.

i watch the LPGA all the time.. those women are incredible golfers... kind of like basketball. now aday's on the PGA a 600+ yrd par 5 is like a par 4 for us hackersm where they can easily reach the greens in 2.. but women still play them like par 5's, using strategy such as laying up..
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:22 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information