How many super bowls..?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
How many super bowls..?
Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:05 am
  • How many Super Bowls will it take for the Seahawks to be one of "those teams"? You know the ones. The teams that are consistently talked about in the national media. The ones who are given a legitimate chance at the beginning of every year no matter how good or bad they have been playing as of late.

I don't really care about the disrespect, real or perceived that the Seahawks generally get. Even when they are good, like now, the response is something along the lines of, "oh look at the nice things that team from Seattle is getting lucky with." I really don't care, one way or another. I just find it interesting and a little humorous.

There really is a built in bias in the league towards teams who have won multiple Super Bowls. The east coast bias is real, however I think that the "past success" bias trumps the east coast bias. East coast teams that have not been part of the perceived power elite, will still get more press than the Seahawks, but they are not automatically elevated to superior status by virtue of their past success alone.

I believe that 1 Super Bowl victory will get you some recognition in future years. New Orleans is living off of their victory and will probably get another 10 years of elite-ish recognition without another. A team that has 2 Super Bowl victories will vault into the upper middle class of league respectability. I would suggest to all, that without the built in east coast geographical connection, a team would need to have 3 Super Bowl victories to permanently put themselves into the national psyche.

So because of location in the pacific northwest, the Seahawks will need to win 3 Super Bowls before the respect card can even begin to be thrown out. But like I said, I don't care. The Seahawks are my team and I will always love them. With each successive Super Bowl Championship, the rest of the country will begin to see what we have all been seeing, the best team in the league, bar none!
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Re: How many super bowls..?
Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:06 am
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:10 am
  • I dont care about national recognition. I want a SB every year but right now I just want 1. After 1 any more will take care of themselves.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

Location: Victoria BC or my Galactic Stonghold on Nar Shaddaa

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:11 am
  • As a Falcon fan, one in my book. If you seek validation through the respect of others you will come away disappointed. If the Seahawks win one, but aren't respected by the media does it make it any less special? Or the Seahawks any less a champion? I think not.

I know if/when the Falcons win one I will be so ecstatic the media/Falcon haters will be the so low on my "totem pole of cares" they will be spitting sand.
    FOGHORN
    NET Practice Squad

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:23 am
  • You truly know you're one of the "it" teams when you can go on an 8 year run of complete suckage, yet you still pull 2 or 3 Monday Night games, 2 or 3 Sunday Night games and a couple other nationaly televised games every season.
    Last edited by LawlessHawk on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:24 am
  • rainger wrote:I dont care about national recognition. I want a SB every year but right now I just want 1. After 1 any more will take care of themselves.

:13:
    How many 49ers fans does it take to change a light bulb?

None, they will all show and talk about how good the old one was...
    hawker232
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:29 am
  • It took New England 3. They were considered complete and total dog shit when I was in high shcool. they were the WORST team in Tecmo Super Bowl.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:38 am
  • Let's get the first one before we start talking about Dynasties.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:51 am
  • LawlessHawk wrote:You truly know you're one of the "it" teams when you can go on an 8 year run of complete suckage, yet you still pull 2 or 3 Monday Night games, 2 or 3 Sunday Night games and a couple other nationaly televised games every season.

Or be the Dallas cowboys that have had one playoff win since 1997. The Hawks have been a much more successful team then Jerry's kids but are get a lot less national games and in Vegas their "futures bet odds" of winning the Super Bowl are always lower!

If the NFL "allows" Seattle to win a Superbowl, it will take 2 within 4 years to be considered up there amongst the favs.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:53 am
  • Lebron says not 2 not 3 not 4 .......
    If They Pass On You, Pass on Them !
    Okungfu
    NET Practice Squad

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:12 am
  • Giants have won 2 with Manning and still get no respect. Green bay has won 1 with Rogers and get's all the respect in the world.

The country is fickle.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:26 am
  • It takes more than Super Bowl, IMO. You need to change the game while doing it. I think Seattle is set up to do so with their monstersaurus secondary.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:28 am
  • Shock2k wrote:Giants have won 2 with Manning and still get no respect. Green bay has won 1 with Rogers and get's all the respect in the world.

The country is fickle.

The mob is fickle brother... I am vexed, terribly vexed.

Where can I find Seahawks98.com???
    Barthawk
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:45 am
  • Respect for an NFL team on a national level is all about year-to-year consistency and fielding a team that has a realistic potential to go to the Superbowl every year. A consistent regular season W/L record of at least 10-6 is indicative of this potential. Also, the team must have had some recent success in the playoffs.

That's my definition.
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:56 am
  • Applying my definition, clearly in the NFC, the Packers, the Saints and the Giants have national respect.

Atlanta, not so much due to their Playoff woes. And the Bears, not so much as well due to their inconsistency and Jay Culter being the whiny b!tch that he is.

In the AFC, I'd go with the Patriots, the Stealers, and the Ravens.

Teams approaching this standard include the 49ers, the Texans and the Broncos (due to Manning and their D).

Seattle is a team that is giving indications that they can achieve this standard. Whether they are able to achieve year-to-year consistency to my standard remains to be seen. I personally believe that they can, and will.
    Last edited by onanygivensunday on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:57 am
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:59 am
  • Shock2k wrote:Giants have won 2 with Manning and still get no respect. Green bay has won 1 with Rogers and get's all the respect in the world.

The country is fickle.

Because one of those teams has been extremely consistent these past few years, and has arguably the best QB in the NFL. The other team has been watching the entire playoffs from it's players' couches this year.
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 am
  • onanygivensunday wrote:Respect for an NFL team on a national level is all about year-to-year consistency and fielding a team that has a realistic potential to go to the Superbowl every year. A consistent regular season W/L record of at least 10-6 is indicative of this potential. Also, the team must have had some recent success in the playoffs.

That's my definition.

And they need to be good in Madden.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:22 am
  • hawker232 wrote:
    rainger wrote:I dont care about national recognition. I want a SB every year but right now I just want 1. After 1 any more will take care of themselves.

:13:

My feelings as well!
    GO SEAHAWKS!!
    grizrgood
    NET Practice Squad

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:51 pm
  • The giants have the least respect of any team that has won two superbowls recently. Probably because they got in with a sub-par record and all that. Then they couldn't even make it back to the playoffs the next year. Makes them look like a fluke.

You don't have to win it every year, but you have to get at least one and be contending for one every year.

Does anyone remember the Buccaneers winning? Doesn't that sound strange now?
    CaptainSkybeard
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:10 pm
  • Since San Francisco won their last Super Bowl in 1994 they have gone 5 wins and 9 losses in the playoffs, most of those 10 or more years ago. Over that same period the Seahawks have gone 6 wins and 7 losses in the playoffs, most of those in the last 10 years.... yet SF is still far more "popular" in the media and still pulls considerably more "prime time" attention... obviously for what they were nearly 20+ years ago...
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:27 pm

The country is fickle.

GB keeps putting up good numbers in regular season while Giants are putting up strange regular season numbers and then suddenly doing good in the playoffs.

So if you are commiting to MNF or SNF games before the season do you go with the guaranteed competitor or the maybe up maybe down team?
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:29 pm
  • Part of the problem isn't just # of Super Bowls, but also franchise age. The Packers, Giants, Eagles, Redskins, Bears, Lions, and Steelers have been around since the Great Depression or before. The Browns and 49ers showed up in 1944, most of the rest of them in 1959. Most teams have family lines of fans and traditions going back decades; the Seahawks are still in their second generation of fans. We're in there with the Bucs, Panthers, Jaguars, and Texans, still fighting to wedge ourselves into the national consciousness amidst generations of tradition looking at us going, "Who the hell are you?"

Like the Cowboys, a handful of Super Bowls will do it.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:53 pm
  • who cares? I would just like to see the Hawks peel off 3 or 4 in a decade that would be nice, put Pete and the Seahawks into the Hall of Fame..

sheesh SF already has 5, don't really wanna see them get a nuther, GB 4, ginats 4, stealers 6. cowboys 5... fairly lopsided gig, only 18 teams have rings out of 32, that means 14 teams don't have a superbowl win, 14 teams... does SF really need another? green bay?
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:16 pm
  • Montana echos my thoughts. 2 or 3 will hold you for a decade. If you are a trend-setter, such as the 9ers were with Walsh or the Pats with Belicheck/Brady, then you have a good chance to stay in the limelight.

If you have a marquee QB for a decade or so, you should remain in the nation's interest. The youth will become veterans, so planning and luck has to lend a hand as well. Or the young exciting team becomes old and incapable of hanging near the top of the league.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:46 pm
  • LawlessHawk wrote:Since San Francisco won their last Super Bowl in 1994 they have gone 5 wins and 9 losses in the playoffs, most of those 10 or more years ago. Over that same period the Seahawks have gone 6 wins and 7 losses in the playoffs, most of those in the last 10 years.... yet SF is still far more "popular" in the media and still pulls considerably more "prime time" attention... obviously for what they were nearly 20+ years ago...

They made their mark last year.

Ask yourself how many teams go 13-3 during the regular season?
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:11 pm
  • No they didn't, they made their mark with the 5 super bowl championships between 1981 and 1994. They did have a terrific season last year for sure, but their continued "elite franchise" status comes from what they did 20 to 30 years ago. The Hawks need a run like that to get into that group.
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:39 pm
  • CaptainSkybeard wrote:The giants have the least respect of any team that has won two superbowls recently. Probably because they got in with a sub-par record and all that. Then they couldn't even make it back to the playoffs the next year. Makes them look like a fluke.

You don't have to win it every year, but you have to get at least one and be contending for one every year.

Does anyone remember the Buccaneers winning? Doesn't that sound strange now?

I think the Giants problem is they have no big personality at QB or Coach. There is no face of the team. I bet if you polled general NFL fans (not hard core), and they wouldn't even know the Giants have won 2 superbowls.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:41 pm
  • I want this one. We can talk about the others when the time comes.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:12 am
  • I say lets win 1 and let each season build it's own legacy.

Building a dynasty is a hope and it takes the right pieces and a lot of luck and health to keep it going.

Many of the things stated above, but you also have to have a core of players that break out together and stay together for a period of time. They then get associated with a team and coach and legends get born. Bradshaw and Harris, Montana and Rice, Lott, Cowboys had Staubach and Hill and Thomas and Golden Richards. Brady and Bellichek are tied at the hip, New England rotates players in and out but Brady has been steady.

Once you get there you get credit for teams past if you have a style and charisma about how you do stuff. Dallas has been self promoted for a long time. Tex Schram before Jerry Jones, Giants issue is they rotate a lot of players as well, since Tiki was running the ball who really knows much about them year in and year out. Eli is there but thats it, Coughlin runs a silent camp pretty much till crap blows up.

Parcells was a coach that got attention and had opinions, he also had a damn good defense that was electric and Bavarro and Simms.

Besides when the previous Superbowl winners are overshadowed in their own town by the Rivals they share a stadium with you know that there is a certain mentality.

People respect the Raiders of years past until Davis was so far gone he looked more corpse then alive. They had a reputation, and brought it every week and won Superbowls playing that style of football. Think about all the names of guys that played there, they come pretty easy.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:27 am
  • I kinda like not having any recognition. Its fun when we all know we can win but everyone else is still surprised.... And I like not having bandwagon fans lol
    PNW native stuck in the South
    disturbedesv
    NET Bench Warmer

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:44 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information