Black Monday Impact?

BASF

Reaction score
themunn":orozu3dh said:
BASF":orozu3dh said:
The only name that I think teams will want to poach has been brought up only once in this thread and mostly because he fits the Rooney rule. Kris Richard has done an absolutely fantastic job with the DB's who are the strength of our defense. Everyone brings up Pete Carroll as being a former DB and him having the huge impact on our DB's, but how many starting defensive backs did Pete Carroll put in the NFL during his tenure at USC? The answer is not as many as you would expect. Currently Polamalu is the only starter from Pete's tenure. Sure, several of his DB's were drafted, but almost none of them started and practically all of them were out of the league in a couple of seasons.

Isn't that praising Carroll's coaching of DBs then? I mean, if they looked good at college under Carroll but once you take Carroll out of the equation they suck, doesn't that mean he's good at coaching them?

An interesting perspective. Going through the drafts, Kris Richard, Will Poole, Troy Polamalu, Darnell Bing, Terrell Thomas, Cary Harris, Kevin Ellison, Taylor Mays, and Kevin Thomas were the only ones that he had drafted into the NFL after nine seasons. That doesn't seem like the NFL thought much of his talent crop considering only Richard, Polamalu, Thomas and Mays were drafted in the first three rounds. Of those four only two of them were actually starters, speaking to your perspective. Looking at the passing defense for the Trojans over the years is remarkable with the completion percentage and touchdowns being very low. Perhaps Richard isn't as good as I thought, but I do believe he will be looked at as a serious candidate from outside our organization.

RiggoReincarnated

Reaction score
As a Skins fan, I'm worried about Kyle Shanahan being poached. Reports are that we are considering giving an extension to Mike Shanahan. I had hoped that Shanahan would go solely into the front office at the end of his 5 year contract and allow his son to take the reigns. I am not confident in Mike Shanahan's ability to play call AND head coach. I think the two roles are best separate - especially in this day and age where the tiniest advantages must be squeezed out in this salary cap era of parity.

I think Mike Shanahan would have the ego to annoint himself as OC and play-caller if his son were to depart. I doubt he'd bring in someone else. Snyder would likely be willing to match whatever Kyle gets offered, but if his dad is getting a head coach extension getting him to put his head coach aspirations on the shelf for even longer may be difficult.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well one thing I am glad of, the wholesale NFL meltdown happened this year, next year I believe our contracts with Pete and Schnieder are up. Where I think we get them locked up during that time is also when assistants and others are not as secure till they get re signed as well.

Shock2k

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3gtl7ipv said:
We play soft zone in some of the most mind-boggling situations.

No kidding, it was killing me against St. Louis. Not that I'm smarter then these coaches of course, but damn, I wish I could understand what they are thinking sometimes.