Simple Q. Is Wilsons season the best ever for a Seahawk QB?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

Best season for a Seahawk QB ever?

Russell Wilson
39%
Matt Hasselbeck
55%
Dave Krieg
4%
Jim Zorn
1%
Rick Mirer
1%
Other
No votes

Total votes : 147

• It is Hass...no question 05 or 07 take your pick.

Now I will bend over, put my hands on my knees and get ready to take it from every member of .net, in terms of best season..

Rick Mirer had a better rookie season than Wilson :242735:

1st. he was drafted to a two win team.

2nd. He had nobody to throw to. Blades and who? (yeah, he had John L..my fave Seahawk of all time, but come on he was a FB)

3rd. Set Rookie records for att, comp, and yards, that would that would take Mr. Manning to eclipse.

4th. 1993 AFC west where monsters..Chefs 11 wins. Faders 10, Mr. Ed 9, SD 8...(not to mention the Bills and the Oilers at 12 wins)

5th. Played for worst coach in team history.

Mirer>Wilson as a rook. That being said, I'd take Wilson over Mirer for the next 432425259525545359437964764967937295734 drafts and he will make us all forget about any greatest QB discussion by this time next year.

How frikin awesome is Wilson? Gonna be a great Decade or so :th2thumbs:

O.k. at least kiss me before you ........me
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

• I loved hass, but wilson has greater upside. wish hass was mentoring him, instead of locker. then again. he may not need it. :D
    I don't know why I bother... no one cares what I think.
    zhawk
    NET Starter

• Dang, Scotte beat me to it.

Hass's 2007 season was the best I can remember. The ONLY thing we could do was pass, the other teams knew it, and still couldn't stop us.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• Basis4day wrote:Until we get to another Super Bowl it will belong to Hass.

Way to step out on a limb. Jumping on AFTER something happens is for bandwagon fans.

Russell Wilson's stats as a rookie are very close to what Hasselbeck did in his 5th year in Seattle after sitting behind Brett Favre for two years in Green Bay. If Russell as a rookie is comparable to the franchise's BEST year ever for a QB, there is no doubt that this IS the best season ever for the Seahawks QBs. Did anyone think 06 and beyond would be all that great? Does anyone NOT think 2013 and beyond will be great for the Seahawks?
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

• Krieg.

1984. Not even close

Damn I feel old!

:thirishdrinkers:
    Beeker
    NET Rookie

• NoChops wrote:It is Hass...no question 05 or 07 take your pick.

Now I will bend over, put my hands on my knees and get ready to take it from every member of .net, in terms of best season..

Rick Mirer had a better rookie season than Wilson :242735:

1st. he was drafted to a two win team.

2nd. He had nobody to throw to. Blades and who? (yeah, he had John L..my fave Seahawk of all time, but come on he was a FB)

3rd. Set Rookie records for att, comp, and yards, that would that would take Mr. Manning to eclipse.

4th. 1993 AFC west where monsters..Chefs 11 wins. Faders 10, Mr. Ed 9, SD 8...(not to mention the Bills and the Oilers at 12 wins)

5th. Played for worst coach in team history.

Mirer>Wilson as a rook. That being said, I'd take Wilson over Mirer for the next 432425259525545359437964764967937295734 drafts and he will make us all forget about any greatest QB discussion by this time next year.

How frikin awesome is Wilson? Gonna be a great Decade or so :th2thumbs:

O.k. at least kiss me before you ........me

I don't disagree. Mirer played for quite possibly the worst offense coming into that season in NFL history and played terrific ball. He was a master of creating something out of nothing. I remember him making left handed throws when being pulled to the ground and completing them. He was really building something special. His rookie season far outpaced those of HOF guys like Elway, Young, Aikman, Favre, and on and on. But then the wheels just fell off. I think the Bears thought they could "save him", but he just really seemed to lose it. I don't know if it was purely confidence, or if there were injuries involved, or just a general disinterest in the business of football. He seemed pretty happy as a backup. I saw him smiling on the sidelines for the Bears once, and then he had to go in, and he looked PISSED. I'm dead serious. He didn't even hold a clipboard or wear an earpiece. He just stood there with his arms folded smiling.

After his rookie campaign and having the franchise not go out and get him some support and help to develop him with a better coach and so on, then I wouldn't blame the guy for sort of giving up. I think Rick had superstar written all over him. I think he could have been every bit the QB Brett Favre was, with a lot less INTs. It just didn't happen, and I was genuinely surprised, because he knocked my socks off as a rookie and I said I was happily eating my words and maybe it was better that we got Mirer instead of Bledsoe. Oh well. Not everybody improves from year to year, or even cares. Who knows. If I saw Rick today though I'd shake his hand and thank him for his time with the Hawks and for some great memories and some actual HOPE for the future, which I hadn't felt in quite a while.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• hawksfan515 wrote:I am quite frankly surprised to see Wilson losing this. I thought he would be blowout winning by some of the circle jerk comments i Have read about him.

Why would you think he would? We love the dude to death, he's special and may ultimately be the best QB we've ever had, but this isn't a team he's had to carry the load of on his back for the whole season, there's been situations but he hasnt had to do it all, his defense and running game have helped him as well.

Hasselbeck in 2007 was a masterpiece in term of Seahawks QB's.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• I am a Hass Homer but Wilson is a favorite of mine with his production. They are two different QBs with two very different systems and supporting cast. Ask me in 10 years. I may change my mind..
    djb28
    NET Veteran

• As a first year player Wilson is ten times better than Hasslebeck was as a first year player.

As time goes on Wilson will continue to prove to be the better player.

Wilson makes others better. Hasselbeck didn't.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Basis4day wrote:Until we get to another Super Bowl it will belong to Hass.

And this is why I voted for TJack. :sarcasm_off:
    Founding Father of the Bevell-Be-Gone Movement

Currently riding SHOTGUN on the Russell Wilson bandwagon.

Renton Chapter Seahawkers Booster Club
    Section 316 @ CenturyLink Field

Kuendelea Mwewe - Go Hawks
    SilkMonkey
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• Not Wilson yet. Maybe someday...

Krieg was my childhood idol and will be tough to unseat. Not impossible though.
    schkoot
    NET Practice Squad

• Tech Worlds wrote:As a first year player Wilson is ten times better than Hasslebeck was as a first year player.

As time goes on Wilson will continue to prove to be the better player.

Wilson makes others better. Hasselbeck didn't.

:th2thumbs: Is it fair to compare a rookie to Hass in 2005 and 2007? Wilson has a unique attitude that I have not seen in any Seahawk Rookie! The "deal" will be sealed if he can "win out" this year.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Until its over I will reserve comment. We have had some players with really good first year play. Hass was good but Krieg , Mier had really good years, his rookie year was as good as Wilson. One of the most entertaining single games I saw the Hawks play was against KC and Moon was the QB.
    Last edited by Happypuppy on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• Based on the eyeball test, I have to go with Wilson. This is the most efficient offense Seattle has ever had. Fewer big plays, but more 10+ play drives. At least that's what it feels like. Even Hasselbeck at his best would have a facepalm worthy game every 5th game. Since becoming fully acclimated, Wilson just doesn't have those.

If Pete had trusted Wilson with the offense much sooner, this might not be a discussion worth having. Since week 6 or so Wilson has basically been Aaron Rodgers, if Aaron Rodgers had read option in his tool kit.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• I was watching the Dan Patrick show tonight, and he's got Rich Eisen on the line. They are chatting about NFL awards and get to the ROY candidates. Turns out Rich thinks Russell Wilson will win with the way things are going and then goes on to say, and not only say but try to persuade Dan Patrick into understanding, why he thinks the Seahawks are 100% going to the SuperBowl this year.

Thought I would share in case any missed it, the buzz going around is pretty exciting, I hope this weekend ends the way I'm expecting it to man!! Go Seahawks!
    12thManHawkFan
    NET Rookie

• Until Wilson sees a super bowl...I'm gonna have to side with 2005 Matt Hasslebeck. No one else has even sniffed a ring...yet. ;)
    Last edited by Bakergirl on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran

• Wilson, easy.
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran

• SacHawk2.0 wrote:I have yet to see any inkling of "Spazzlebeck" tendencies with RW. Just sayin'

In all fairness though, shouldn't RW's record be compared to Hasselbecks first years record with the Seahawks?
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• scutterhawk wrote:
    SacHawk2.0 wrote:I have yet to see any inkling of "Spazzlebeck" tendencies with RW. Just sayin'

In all fairness though, shouldn't RW's record be compared to Hasselbecks first years record with the Seahawks?

Yes and Wilson absolutely blows him out of the water.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Matty H was my idol, but I dont get how anyone can say him.. I mean in 05 he had that monster of a running game, how could he not be successful? not to mention that protection. Wilson really has none of that
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

• I'm not reading the posts in this thread but I would guess the majority of them say that Matt got us to the SB, therefore 2005 makes his the best.

I think Wilsons first year is better. He was supposed to be the backup and all he has done is become a sensation. It took Hass years to be what Wilson is now.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I think people are trying to compare rookie seasons between the two; the post asks the best QB season ever....not best season by a rookie. Wilson will be better by far, but I don't think he's had the best season ever (as of yet).
    Kam Chancellor: The Chancellor of Defense
    Bruce Irvin: BruceMode
    Tharold Simon: Humble Thug
    Paul Richardson: BPR
    FortWorthSeahawk
    USAF BadAss

• scutterhawk wrote:
    SacHawk2.0 wrote:I have yet to see any inkling of "Spazzlebeck" tendencies with RW. Just sayin'

When the question is whether this is the best season ever for a Seahawks QB, no of course not.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:I'm not reading the posts in this thread but I would guess the majority of them say that Matt got us to the SB, therefore 2005 makes his the best.

I think Wilsons first year is better. He was supposed to be the backup and all he has done is become a sensation. It took Hass years to be what Wilson is now.

Most are saying 2007 was Hass's best year. He had to do everything that year, as he had no real line, and no running game. It was hurry up, quick hitters, and getting beaten into the turf with zero support. Ruskell was worse at finding offensive lineman than Jack Z. is at finding hitters.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• themunn wrote:It's a tough one
    That said, New England, Detroit, Miami, Chicago x 2, I don't ever remember Hasselbeck driving down the field for a go-ahead TD with <5 minutes left 5 times in a single season (even if 3 of those leads were lost or tied in the end), nor do I ever remember a Hasselbeck-led team putting up 50 points in a single game, let alone 2 in a season (even if Wilson was not the major factor in the Arizona game).

Hass had 5 game winning drives (four of them come from behind victories) in 2006 alone.

The problem I see with using the term ever regarding quarterbacks is the difference in the game during eras. The passing game is so much easier now then it was during Zorn and Krieg's playing days. Back then you could mug a WR down the field compared to what they allow nowadays. Players complain about how physical Sherman and Browner are, but they wouldn't be considered all that physical during the 70's and 80's. Also to be considered for the amount of INT's that Zorn threw, there were a lot of DB's using Stickum legally before it was banned in 1981. There were definitely cases of our AFC West opponents still using it after that.

My answer to the question is no, that distinction belongs to Hasselbeck in 07. However, I fully expect that next season the answer will be absolutely.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

• Anyone's mind changed after Wilson's 4 TD performance?
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• Yep, my mind has. It was a toss-up to me, considering that Hass had a little better stats (TDs/Ints/yards), but RW compensated with rushing yards and those 3 rushing TD's. Last nights game tipped the scales, IMO.

I am a huge Matt H fan. He's been my wife's favorite player. I think she's starting to like Wilson even more than Matt.

I definitely believe (barring 5 int's next game, which I don't see happening) that Wilson has had the best season ever for a Seahawk QB.
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran

• hawksfan515 wrote:Anyone's mind changed after Wilson's 4 TD performance?

yep.

you can put number three in the rafters right now.
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

• therealjohncarlson wrote:Hass put up way more yards, so gotta give it to him. Russ will start having bigger games next year though

I didn't realize yards were more important than TDs. Gotta go with Wilson based on that alone. Not to mention just what he does with his legs. I won't go into anything else because i do not think yards are everything. What matters is putting up points on that scoreboard he has put up more than Hass.
    Kelly.Orr
    NET Starter

• Hass was great but his 2005 season was against all losing teams. He only played 4 games against winning teams that year and only 1 top team D. I will always love the 2005 season because we got to the SB and we had 13 wins but:

Wilson has done what he has done against way better compition and no way was Hass able to do what RW does. It is still early because we are comparing 1 year vs a QB that is in the hearts of Fans because he was with theam for a long time.

I believe RW is better and if you ask this question in 3 years it will be near 100 percent RW.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• Wilson is better now than Matt ever was.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• I have a feeling that Russell just wants to be the best Russell Wilson ever... every single play of every single game.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• On NFL net, 58% of the (voting) population just named RW ROTY. That surprized me. Luck was like 30+/- with RG3 having the balance. Good to see fans are being more objective than one would think. I think that poll is a good indicator of what the results will ultimately be. Hoping. Let's hope Wagner gets the same love.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• What I like most about Russ over Matthew is that I never feel nervous with the ball in his hands. For as many great plays and memories that Hasselbeck provided us, he would force throws into tight coverage and throw interceptions that had me thinking "what in the hell is he doing?".
    "Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force."

- Barbie from Toy Story 3
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• *Championship*
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Previous

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:31 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information