Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: keeping flynn vs preparing for future secondary contracts
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:51 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:56 pm
Posts: 6193
It's an absolute waste of money to pay a guy 5M to sit on the bench when all he is doing is getting older.

_________________
SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: keeping flynn vs preparing for future secondary contracts
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:55 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am
Posts: 10064
It's also weird as hell to pay your backup 13 times what you are paying your starter, CBA rules or no.

_________________
SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: keeping flynn vs preparing for future secondary contracts
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:55 pm 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
Posts: 12424
Location: Anchorage, AK
What the OP fails to realize here, besides the fact that there will be so many other changes to our roster by then, making this entire discussion today inane, is that if he trades away Flynn's salary to max the cap for our DB's and other talent, how is he going to pay Wilson when he's due in 2015 (the same year several of these vaunted DB's is due)? Keeping Flynn around until you decide to re-sign Wilson, keeps that position in a place where we can afford to give Wilson the huge jump he's going to need to stick around. If you max the cap out signing everyone else, you have nothing left for the qb position. Wilson won't be making under a million for long in this league, he'll demand a MUCH higher paycheck. THAT is the time to rework the backup position. Not now

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: keeping flynn vs preparing for future secondary contracts
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:55 pm 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:43 pm
Posts: 201
hawks46 i laughed out loud when i read that you think earl thomas will only be making what he made with his rookie contract hahahah...

bottom line is we're not riding a backup qb to the superbowl whether its flynn or tarvaris jackson.. if rw were to go down we'd be pretty much screwed unless we had a defense that could carry a team. we're only a couple pieces away from being an elite defense the likes of baltimore or tampa bay's superbowl teams sported.. so my question.. why pay flynn 5-6 million a year to ride the pine when in the end he's not going to take us to the bowl.. when we could use that 5-6 million a year going to his contract to overpay some defensive pieces in the free agent market to shore up our weaknesses we have and become that elite defense that can win even if rw were to go down? thats more likely than flynn taking us to a superbowl.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: keeping flynn vs preparing for future secondary contracts
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:57 pm 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:43 pm
Posts: 201
kidhawk i already touched on the fact were going to have to pay rw a huge contract in the future as well.. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IM SAYING LOL.. you guys are insane.. these kinda contracts have to be planned for years ahead of time!!! you dont come into the season like "ok so we've got 10 million in expiring contracts coming off the books.. oh hey russell you're a free agent this year and you want to be paid like a top 5 qb? okay let me just go over some numbers.. oh hey sorry if we do that then we have exactly zero cap space left for the rest of our free agent aquisitions this offseason........"

by that time reworking the backup qb positions contract is gona be too late.. and its going to require a lot more than just that 5-6 million flynn is being paid now as long as rw keeps heading the direction he is... so yeah i'd say its pretty damn important to start planning on working these contracts out so that there will be a lot of cap space when the time comes.. this happens by restructuring guys in these current years when we have extra money to do so so their hits later on arent as much.. but to do that you cant be throwing money away at positions like backup qb where we're currently paying 3-6 times the avg salary. duh.


Last edited by redhawk253 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: keeping flynn vs preparing for future secondary contracts
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:59 pm 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
Posts: 12424
Location: Anchorage, AK
redhawk253 wrote:
hawks46 i laughed out loud when i read that you think earl thomas will only be making what he made with his rookie contract hahahah...

bottom line is we're not riding a backup qb to the superbowl whether its flynn or tarvaris jackson.. if rw were to go down we'd be pretty much screwed unless we had a defense that could carry a team. we're only a couple pieces away from being an elite defense the likes of baltimore or tampa bay's superbowl teams sported.. so my question.. why pay flynn 5-6 million a year to ride the pine when in the end he's not going to take us to the bowl.. when we could use that 5-6 million a year going to his contract to overpay some defensive pieces in the free agent market to shore up our weaknesses we have and become that elite defense that can win even if rw were to go down? thats more likely than flynn taking us to a superbowl.


You're right, no team has their starter go down only to have their backup take them to the superbowl. Never happen in a million yea.....oh wait, that's right it HAS happened.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d824fceed#photo=1

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: keeping flynn vs preparing for future secondary contracts
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:02 pm 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:43 pm
Posts: 201
kidhawk wrote:
redhawk253 wrote:
hawks46 i laughed out loud when i read that you think earl thomas will only be making what he made with his rookie contract hahahah...

bottom line is we're not riding a backup qb to the superbowl whether its flynn or tarvaris jackson.. if rw were to go down we'd be pretty much screwed unless we had a defense that could carry a team. we're only a couple pieces away from being an elite defense the likes of baltimore or tampa bay's superbowl teams sported.. so my question.. why pay flynn 5-6 million a year to ride the pine when in the end he's not going to take us to the bowl.. when we could use that 5-6 million a year going to his contract to overpay some defensive pieces in the free agent market to shore up our weaknesses we have and become that elite defense that can win even if rw were to go down? thats more likely than flynn taking us to a superbowl.


You're right, no team has their starter go down only to have their backup take them to the superbowl. Never happen in a million yea.....oh wait, that's right it HAS happened.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d824fceed#photo=1


you're fricking hilarious.. i already had brady in my head but thats an exception to the rule and really doesnt apply in this situation..so you are essentially comparing flynn to brady then huh?.. lol goooooooooood night sweet jesus.. you're just a flynn lover in hiding trying to make up garbage excuses as to why he's worth keeping.

NEWS FLASH!!! matt flynn is not tom brady v2.0 hahahahhahaha good lord

oh and lets get this straight actually.. the patriots didn't ride brady to that superbowl win.. brady went 16 of 27 for 154 yards and 1 td.. the pats defense did however have a pick 6 and the final score was only a 3 pt differential.. so yeah they werent really riding brady. then you bring up dilfer.. yeah exactly prove my point some more.. the defense won that game.. dilfer has and always will be considered a role player on that team.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: keeping flynn vs preparing for future secondary contracts
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:16 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:56 pm
Posts: 6193
Tom Brady was on his rookie contract.

_________________
SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: keeping flynn vs preparing for future secondary contracts
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:24 pm 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
Posts: 12424
Location: Anchorage, AK
redhawk253 wrote:
kidhawk wrote:
redhawk253 wrote:
hawks46 i laughed out loud when i read that you think earl thomas will only be making what he made with his rookie contract hahahah...

bottom line is we're not riding a backup qb to the superbowl whether its flynn or tarvaris jackson.. if rw were to go down we'd be pretty much screwed unless we had a defense that could carry a team. we're only a couple pieces away from being an elite defense the likes of baltimore or tampa bay's superbowl teams sported.. so my question.. why pay flynn 5-6 million a year to ride the pine when in the end he's not going to take us to the bowl.. when we could use that 5-6 million a year going to his contract to overpay some defensive pieces in the free agent market to shore up our weaknesses we have and become that elite defense that can win even if rw were to go down? thats more likely than flynn taking us to a superbowl.


You're right, no team has their starter go down only to have their backup take them to the superbowl. Never happen in a million yea.....oh wait, that's right it HAS happened.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d824fceed#photo=1


you're fricking hilarious.. i already had brady in my head but thats an exception to the rule and really doesnt apply in this situation..so you are essentially comparing flynn to brady then huh?.. lol goooooooooood night sweet jesus.. you're just a flynn lover in hiding trying to make up garbage excuses as to why he's worth keeping.

NEWS FLASH!!! matt flynn is not tom brady v2.0 hahahahhahaha good lord

oh and lets get this straight actually.. the patriots didn't ride brady to that superbowl win.. brady went 16 of 27 for 154 yards and 1 td.. the pats defense did however have a pick 6 and the final score was only a 3 pt differential.. so yeah they werent really riding brady. then you bring up dilfer.. yeah exactly prove my point some more.. the defense won that game.. dilfer has and always will be considered a role player on that team.



I didn't bring up backups and the superbowl, you did. I merely pointed out why you were wrong about that. If you have a solid backup to put into a good team you can win the superbowl, so paying a solid guy to be the backup is NOT wasted and the season is not a waste when the starter goes down.

Not only is your point in the OP meaningless for at least 2 years (you don't dump salary this year to sign someone in 2 years), your theory of being out of contention if Wilson gets hurt is nearly as ludicrous.

As for a Flynn lover, I am quite firmly settled in my space aboard the Wilson train. I have no desire to replace him right now with anyone, Flynn included. What I am, is a fan of this team, and I want the best talent available at all the positions. When Pete and John find someone they like better for the position, then they'll replace Flynn, but to say that his $5 million cap number is an issue for next season is absolutely the stupidest currently on the front page of this forum. I showed you every player who will be a free agent next season, none of which, with the possible exception of Jones is a mandatory re-sign. Yes we'll replace them with new players and salaries, but we have enough cap room to do this and Keep Flynn. The Elite players on this team are staggered so only a few contracts end each year, meaning we can offer bonuses which pro-rate over the length of the contract, making it MUCH easier to fit them under whatever the cap is in that particular year. I also mentioned that we have over $10 million in cap space next year to fill those free agent positions, but we also have millions in dead cap money from old contracts that we took the hit for this year which will clear off for next year as well.

To sum up, there is absolutely no reason to worry about the backup qb position for the next season when it comes to the salary cap. Once we get closer to the end of next season, then it MIGHT be something that is an issue, but your entire premise about needing to get rid of Flynn for the cap is ludicrous and makes ZERO mathematical sense through the 2013 season

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: keeping flynn vs keeping our secondary
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:40 pm 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:02 am
Posts: 328
Location: Evanston, WY
SonicHawk wrote:
Not convinced there is a trade market for Flynn.


This post seems weird in the context of all your other posts in this thread. If there is no market for Flynn, how do we pick up a 4-7th rounder? If we cut him, don't we still take a cap hit in both seasons? If paying him to sit on the bench is bad, it seems paying him to sit on the couch would be worse. JMHO


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: keeping flynn vs keeping our secondary
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:22 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 2506
Location: South of Heaven
redhawk253 wrote:
Atradees wrote:
Flynn is awesome.

If Sherm can command 14 million a year would you pay it?



i dont know where you got 14 million a year when revis is only making 12 million.. but hypothetically speaking if sherm can command 14 million a year yeah i'll tell you exactly what i'd do.. id trade flynn and use the 6.25 million that he's scheduled to be paid to pay part of sherman's contract as he is 100 times more valuable to this team than flynn is.. take away that 6.25 million from 14 and it would be a 7.75 million dollar net cap hit. yuppp gladly.


I think when Sherm becomes a free agent its certainly possible he will be pushing for the highest paid corner.
Do we keep him? It would cost more us than Flynn. Or next great find up!

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: keeping flynn vs keeping our secondary
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:58 am 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
Posts: 12424
Location: Anchorage, AK
BobcatHawk wrote:
SonicHawk wrote:
Not convinced there is a trade market for Flynn.


This post seems weird in the context of all your other posts in this thread. If there is no market for Flynn, how do we pick up a 4-7th rounder? If we cut him, don't we still take a cap hit in both seasons? If paying him to sit on the bench is bad, it seems paying him to sit on the couch would be worse. JMHO


Flynn's signing bonus is counting against the cap at a rate of $2 million per season. they are allowed to split whatever remains between 2 seasons, so no matter what, at the end of this year if he's gone, they take that $4 million cap hit. The only choice is do they make it $2 million per year or take it all in one year.

The funny thing is that Flynn is a free agent in 2015. His deal here is for only 3 years (2 more after this year). His deal expires at the same time as a lot of the players the OP is worried about paying. The whole thread is ludicrous when you really think about the math, but that's not going to stop some people.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: keeping flynn vs keeping our secondary
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:07 am 
* NET Radish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
Posts: 18023
Location: Spokane, Wa.
kidhawk wrote:
BobcatHawk wrote:
SonicHawk wrote:
Not convinced there is a trade market for Flynn.


This post seems weird in the context of all your other posts in this thread. If there is no market for Flynn, how do we pick up a 4-7th rounder? If we cut him, don't we still take a cap hit in both seasons? If paying him to sit on the bench is bad, it seems paying him to sit on the couch would be worse. JMHO


Flynn's signing bonus is counting against the cap at a rate of $2 million per season. they are allowed to split whatever remains between 2 seasons, so no matter what, at the end of this year if he's gone, they take that $4 million cap hit. The only choice is do they make it $2 million per year or take it all in one year.

The funny thing is that Flynn is a free agent in 2015. His deal here is for only 3 years (2 more after this year). His deal expires at the same time as a lot of the players the OP is worried about paying. The whole thread is ludicrous when you really think about the math, but that's not going to stop some people.



What!!! You're saying people here have ludicrous long term ideas discussing conspiracys that would never happen in the real world????

Say it ain't so Sam.

:roll:

_________________
Image
The SuperB owl ladys have left the building with our thanks.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: keeping flynn vs keeping our secondary
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:14 am 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
Posts: 12424
Location: Anchorage, AK
The Radish wrote:
Say it ain't so Sam. :roll:


It ain't so Sam :laugh:

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]



 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.