This weekend could be the biggest of the season for Seattle

drdiags

Reaction score
Not sure I am buying that Eli would have a hard time with our defense, even at the CLink. Our secondary is a year older but Eli was heating them up with Cruz last year. The two additions on the DL, Irvin and Jones are a step up from Brock and Hargrove. As well as Wagner over Hawthorne and Curry being gone. All that said, Bennett and Cruz would give the Seahawks fits.

And the Giants running game is multi-faceted enough that they would offer a balance for Eli. I expect the offense would be able to hold its own against the G-men. I would favor the Giants. Blowing them out just doesn't seem likely. I will admit that if the Seahawks don't get cute in the Meadowlands with the Robinson draw on the goal line the Seahawks are nursing a 3 TD lead early in the first half but that was an early season game and the Seahawks physicality probably caught the G-Men off-guard.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Our pass rush this year at home is much much better than last year's pass rush in New York though. I think our secondary is better than that game as well. Browner has made huge improvements and Sherman didn't even start in that game. On the other hand, Walter Thurmond was a total stud in that 2011 contest, so there isn't much to be gained there.

Also, Seattle won that game, and pretty much led almost the whole way if memory serves. Not to mention- that was with T-Jack/Whitehurst at QB.

I guess the best argument in favor of New York was that they destroyed some good teams this year, including the 49ers and Packers. They are a dangerous team, no doubt. By no means would I expect a blowout, I just think there is real blowout potential.

drdiags

Reaction score
kearly":2g6rx27s said:
Our pass rush this year at home is much much better than last year's pass rush in New York though. I think our secondary is better than that game as well. Browner has made huge improvements and Sherman didn't even start in that game. On the other hand, Walter Thurmond was a total stud in that 2011 contest, so there isn't much to be gained there.

Thurmond started with Browner and Sherman playing corner when in the nickel (Trufant was out this game). The Seahawks fell behind due to Cruz lighting them up. The Baldwin TD in the 4th got the Seahawks back in front but Eli was driving the Giants the length of the field until Cruz tipped the ball to Browner. I just do not agree with your blowout thinking.

NYG vs Seahawks 2011

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Well to be clear, I'm not expecting a blowout. Just saying there is real potential for it. It's not a slight on New York- I think they are a great team. I just think we match up very well on them. The Giants were blown out a month ago by the Bengals, who like the Seahawks are a physical team that can disrupt even a good passing game.

I think the one big edge the Giants have in their favor is a vastly improved rush offense, which ironically has had almost nothing to do with the guy they picked in the first round. That said, Seattle had little trouble containing Bradshaw last year- he's pretty much exactly the kind of RB our D-line likes to face. Basically the huge boost in their run offense comes from Andre Brown, who just hit the IR. David Wilson is a stiff runner (albeit a very fast one) who had struggled this season before having a terrific game last week. But that was against the Saints, so I'm not yet worried about him. I'd be pretty surprised if the Giants ran the ball on us, especially in Seattle where the run defense is always a little extra amped up.

And if they can't run, that will make them a 1 dimensional team. Cruz is great, but he's the only WR having a good season for them this year. Hakeem Nicks has averaged just 52 yards a game since his crazy week 2 performance. Cruz is also on pace for just over 1100 yards after having 1500 last season.

I do think our pass defense will fare much better than the last go around. Sherman is probably a better player than he was in that Giants game, and he would see a lot more field time than he did in that game as a nickle CB. Browner is definitely better. Our pass rush is better- especially if the game is in Seattle. Cruz had a lot of lucky yards that game on extremely unusual receptions. I know that's kind of his thing, but even by his standards that game was an outlier. Experience will play a factor as well. Browner/Thurmond/Sherman had less than a season of NFL starting experience combined going into that game, and defensive units tend to adjust or improve when facing an opponent a second time after getting burned in the first match.

Our linebackers are better. Our special teams are better. Our QB is better despite the fact that T-jack played well. Our offensive line and WR play is better than it was in that game as well.

And I know this probably puts me in homer territory, but I truly believe that the next time that Sherman, Browner, and Thurmond all step on the field it will be the best CB trio the NFL has seen in years, if ever. I think Sherman has a great case as the best corner in the game, Browner is an easy choice for the pro-bowl this year and I truly feel that Thurmond has an even better all around game than Browner. If we are at home and we have those three on the field, there is no passing offense worth being afraid of. Assuming Pete isn't being silly with his base rush / zone coverage habits.

Will I

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":261ut1fx said:
Playing in Green Bay in the snow would be the most challenging of all scenerios.

I respectfully disagree. We are the team with a running game. GB doesn not have anything remotely close to what we can do on the ground. Even RW is a better runner than what they have to offer. A game in the snow would tend to benefit us I believe. The downside being that our CB's lose a step, but if it's snowy, hopefully it'd be all out nobody is passing the ball snowy! GO HAWKS!

PhillySeahawk

Reaction score
Will I":1w0nupf0 said:
Bigpumpkin":1w0nupf0 said:
Playing in Green Bay in the snow would be the most challenging of all scenerios.

I respectfully disagree. We are the team with a running game. GB doesn not have anything remotely close to what we can do on the ground. Even RW is a better runner than what they have to offer. A game in the snow would tend to benefit us I believe. The downside being that our CB's lose a step, but if it's snowy, hopefully it'd be all out nobody is passing the ball snowy! GO HAWKS!

Agreed. Seattle's running game, compared with any other NFC contenders, is what will make a big difference for a playoff run