Whose fault is the Hawks defensive woes?

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
I just watched the play again on Football Night in America. Watch that play and get back to me.

jkitsune

Reaction score
First of all, I never said that these issues occurred on the same play. They were separate sentences for a reason. Second of all, I'm talking about a game and the issues therein. Not a single play. Stop being so asinine.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I'll tell you what is wrong with the Defense........they need the 12th Man to function properly! Without them, they are out of synch.

Tical21

Reaction score
I thought the D played VERY well today, sans one play. Cutler can Marshall can become unstoppable for stretches. Ain't a darn thing ANYBODY can do about it. No coach, no player, no scheme. We COMPLETELY shut down EVERYBODY else. If it wasn't for our defense playing great, we would have been a few scores behind by half. The pass rush wasn't good, but the Bears were getting rid of it quickly today and only held it long enough to go down the field once or twice. Take away "the play", and I'll take that defensive performance 100 times out of 100.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
jkitsune":204eddbu said:
First of all, I never said that these issues occurred on the same play. They were separate sentences for a reason. Second of all, I'm talking about a game and the issues therein. Not a single play. Stop being so asinine.

Regardless, both sentences were addressed with that one play. We do not get pressure every play, but the d-line gets pressure as evidenced by Cutler leaving the pocket, scramble, and throw the ball away a few times.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Curry, if you watched that game and came away pleased with our pass rush, I don't really know what to say. Sure, it's not as if we NEVER EVER got pressure, but the amount of pressure applied throughout the game, particularly against a makeshift OL that is one of the worst in the game, is not acceptable, and I'd argue is a huge weakness of the defense.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
jkitsune":4y14c87y said:
Curry, if you watched that game and came away pleased with our pass rush, I don't really know what to say. Sure, it's not as if we NEVER EVER got pressure, but the amount of pressure applied throughout the game, particularly against a makeshift OL that is one of the worst in the game, is not acceptable, and I'd argue is a huge weakness of the defense.

Was I overly pleased? No. Nor was I overly upset by the amount of pressure either. Being that the defensive coaching staff handcuffed the d-line with three and four man rushes against five to six man protections I feel like they did well. I mean, even on the ridiculously stupid 56 yard completion to Marshall the Seahawks flushed Cutler with a three-man rush and almost had a sack had Jones kept his feet on the turf.

I see today's pass-rush, and the away pass-rush for the season as being a schematic fail by Bradley. You have press corners and speed at LB with a couple of above average DE's and you run a three-man rush and zone coverage? That is pure ignorance. Blitz a LB every once in awhile.

razgriz737

Reaction score
jkitsune":2frd5pow said:
I'd agree that it's not acceptable in the sense that we know our guys are capable of better, a la the Packers game. I don't know how anyone could be happy with only forcing Cutler to scramble a few times when he's playing behind (arguably) the worst OL in the league. Now I know we're not going to get 8 sacks in the first half every game, but there has to be some middle ground between the performance against the Packers and what we saw today that we can expect semi-consistently.

NJHawksFan

Reaction score
"It's the coaches fault."

Translation: "I like all of these players too much to admit that they aren't as good as I thought they were."

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
You cannot solely blame one or the other....... but I think the majority of the blame has to go with the "ball-less D-coord" Gus Bradley!