Star Wars - The Old Republic - NDA Lifted!

For all of our NFL Fantasy and gaming enthusiasts. RATING: PG
  • EDIT: The NDA has been lifted, so feel free to ask questions and I'll answer anything I know.

So, anyone going to be playing this? I definitely am. It looks to be amazing, and BioWare makes nothing but great titles. They're the guys that made the Baldur's Gate series back in the day, Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2, Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, Dragon Age 1 & 2, Mass Effect 1 & 2, (and the upcoming 3) etc.

For those that don't know about it, it's a major MMORPG (same type of game as World of Warcraft) being made that takes place in the Star Wars universe. It takes place about 3,500 years before the Star Wars movies.

They've got a bunch of videos here: http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers - I particularly like the Taral V developer walkthrough, as it showcases flashpoints, or instances as they were referred to in WoW.

...Also, there's a GUNSLINGER advanced class! :3: :3: :3:

Last edited by RolandDeschain on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Re: Star Wars - The Old Republic
Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:21 pm

Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:31 pm
  • I'll probably post again when it becomes open beta, which will likely be 1-2 weeks before release. I've been signed up for a beta invite for like 2 years - the DAY they opened up the invites - and still haven't gotten one, /sigh.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:54 pm
  • Personally not into MMORPGs, but liked the Jedi Knight series.
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:43 pm
  • I have hopes for this game, but I feel like the MMORPG world only has room for one really huge game. With other types of games, you finish and move on to the next. With MMORPGs, the idea is that the game never ends, so it's not so easy to put it down and move on to the next one if the game makers do a good job. I am sure it will have a large initial following, but it will be hard to tell if it can permanently steal a big enough chunk of World of Warcraft's players to truly thrive. If it does, it will be really cool to see what the game develops into.
    LargentFan
    NET Starter

Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:06 pm
  • I love BioWare, but Mass Effect and the second Dragon Age definitely need more sex. Just saying...
    MysterMatt
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:51 pm
  • I about died laughing when I saw you could have sex with a male prostitute in the brothel in Dragon Age II when your character is male; just sayin'.

Also, everyone watch the latest cinematic trailer if you haven't already. The part where the gunslinger avenges the two guards near the beginning makes me require a change of boxers every time.

RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:16 pm
  • Its going to be so sick....my whole house and group of friends will be playing and right now the big debate is if we go Republic or Sith...
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:46 pm
  • The great thing is, light/dark sides aren't separate like alliance/horde in WoW are. You can have a guild and people can be whichever side they want.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:49 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:The great thing is, light/dark sides aren't separate like alliance/horde in WoW are. You can have a guild and people can be whichever side they want.

really?!
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:56 pm
  • Yes, really; so no worries. I think one of the main reasons they did it was so they didn't have to have both sides basically be carbon copies of the other and not unique, for balance reasons. It's a good choice.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:58 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Yes, really; so no worries. I think one of the main reasons they did it was so they didn't have to have both sides basically be carbon copies of the other and not unique, for balance reasons. It's a good choice.

how does that work in relation to the story?
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:28 am
  • No clue, I'm not in the beta. My knowledge is limited to what fan sites and the forums/official news have revealed. Every class has a considerable number of unique quests, from what I've read; so that plays into it too, I'm sure. After playing the Dragon Age games, I've got faith in whatever they end up doing. BioWare FTW.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:17 am
  • Did you see that annoying douche who hosted the Ubisoft presser? Jebus Christ that was awful. And the douchebag Lorenzo Lamas wannabe @ the Microsoft Presser was back from last year.
    ElDoceHombre
    * NET Guy Fieri Lover *

Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:33 am
  • Yep. You'd think Microsoft would learn to market their stuff better...I mean, half the reason Apple has gotten so popular and huge is spending insane amounts of money on creative advertising.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:15 am
  • After having wasted a good year of my life following Guild Wars pre-release (only for them to make a couple changes right before release that killed me), I refuse to follow MMO's until they're in open beta. I've been playing MMOs since I was 10, I get too addicted to them. Had to stop playing (mostly) with school but now that I'm graduating... I've kept a bit of an eye on this, but haven't paid that much attention. Is this going to be a sandbox (ala SWG) or more of a theme-park MMO? Do we know the PvP options yet? Figure Roland or someone else here might know. Star Wars Galaxies was actually pretty good until Sony ruined it.
    Sarlacc, on comparing .NET to Soccer: And why not? It's a bunch of people running around in circles, feigning pain, and never scoring.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am
  • That trailer was cool. Hell, I would have watched a movie-length version of it.
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:53 am
  • Yeah, a bunch of people had similar comments on that video, Taz. It reiterates what the word "epic" really means. I seriously cannot get over the gunslinger part at the beginning...so awesome.

@Snohomie: I'm not sure what you mean by sandbox-vs-theme park MMO. This looks to be similar to WoW, but in good ways. I never played SWG much, couldn't get into it during their open beta, so I can't really compare it; and I don't know much about it.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:56 pm
  • Yea, this looks pretty cool.

I was really into SWG from day one, enjoyed it until like Snohomie mentioned, Sony went full retard on it and ruined it. And ever since then, I've wanted another Star Wars mmorpg to come along.

But now I need to put together a pc to run it, my current box is just not going to cut it, oh and then theres the little problem of time. Hhhhhmmmm
    As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:18 pm
  • It should be worth building a new computer for. ;)

A good friend of mine just played it 2 hours ago at E3 in Los Angeles, and he had pretty high hopes going in...and it exceeded them. He almost wishes he didn't go, because he wants the game even more now, lol.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:47 pm
  • What are the minimum specs? Have those been released yet?
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:57 pm
  • Roland I don't think that you can play with other factions, at least the guilds are only Imperial and Republic. If I am wrong I would love a link.

I looked today for specs sammy and I can't find any.
    "If we lose ... this place will be a Carnival of Stupidity." FlyingGreg
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:38 pm
  • No minimum specs yet. They confirmed no release date or pre-order info coming at E3, by the way. They did say a while back that you'll be able to run the game on older machines, though; but that generally just means you can lower graphics settings quite a bit. :)

@Fud: I was told that by someone in the beta a long time ago. After asking a couple of other people, apparently that is not actually the case. Damnit! Apparently it really is separate like alliance and horde in WoW. Your guild is either Imperial or Republic, and no classes of the other faction are allowed into it. Bah. I really hate the severe lack of official info on this game right now......rumor has it you can talk to people on the other faction but not group with them or guild with them.

<sigh>
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:17 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:No minimum specs yet. They confirmed no release date or pre-order info coming at E3, by the way. They did say a while back that you'll be able to run the game on older machines, though; but that generally just means you can lower graphics settings quite a bit. :)

@Fud: I was told that by someone in the beta a long time ago. After asking a couple of other people, apparently that is not actually the case. Damnit! Apparently it really is separate like alliance and horde in WoW. Your guild is either Imperial or Republic, and no classes of the other faction are allowed into it. Bah. I really hate the severe lack of official info on this game right now......rumor has it you can talk to people on the other faction but not group with them or guild with them.

<sigh>

Thats what I thought.

Everyone in my group of friends is picking a character on each side, Republic and Imperial. We will then have a formal vote as to which we will play.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:27 pm
  • My big problem is I am starting nights again so I will only be able to play at nights when no one is awake.
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:58 pm
  • Fudwamper wrote:My big problem is I am starting nights again so I will only be able to play at nights when no one is awake.

dude....its an MMORPG....People are online ALL the time.

My roommate plays until 7am some days
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:10 pm
  • Yeah, time of day doesn't matter much in an MMO, lol.

Since the guild I'll be in is Imperial, I have to figure out what to be, since I was going to be a Gunslinger...Hrmph.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:40 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Yeah, time of day doesn't matter much in an MMO, lol.

Since the guild I'll be in is Imperial, I have to figure out what to be, since I was going to be a Gunslinger...Hrmph.

Bounty Hunter - Mercenary.... you can still dual wield pistols it looks like
    As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:14 am
  • Yeah, I was really looking forward to the gunslinger moniker, though; considering my namesake, and all; and the gunslinger LOOKS like a gunslinger a lot more than the mercenary.

I really need beta access, lol. :( I'm sad that I've not gotten in, despite registering for it the day it opened. (which crashed their site, too)
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:23 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:I was really into SWG from day one, enjoyed it until like Snohomie mentioned, Sony went full retard on it and ruined it. And ever since then, I've wanted another Star Wars mmorpg to come along.

I was also playing SWG on Day One. Eclipse server. Big-time recruiter for my guild. Then all the Jedi (and unbalanced combat medics) came in and ruined everything, upon which Sony completely overreacted and destroyed the combat part of it. Unconscionable.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:08 pm
  • I was a wookie Master Creature Handler, I got my ass handed to me in pvp. Only time I would partake in that was when I was with my guild and we were attacking our nemesis guild's city, or they were attacking our city. That was fun stuff, even though we usually lost. We did make a very cool city though.

I miss my creature handler and all my pets, hand picked everyone of those baby's and raised 'em myself... ah good times. Found this interesting video, I remember most of those creatures, and had a lot of them as pets at one time or another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATZ3UXGenv8&NR=1
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:56 am
  • I've been stoked on this for awhile now. Watched my friend play it at PAX last year, and I've been signed up for beta since they had a signup page on the website. Still haven't been picked either :(
    80% of Planet Earth is covered by water.....The rest is covered by EARL THOMAS!
    SundayNiteBlackout
    National Guard 09-Present

Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:28 am
  • I bought a 3-day Pax pass for this August. I'm stoked about being able to play it there. 8)

Anyone who is thinking about playing SWTOR, should play through Dragon Age/Dragon Age II. The use of storytelling in those games is amazing, and will be similarly used in SWTOR.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:38 am
  • I've been following this game's development closely since I first heard about it and will definitely be a smuggler/gunslinger for my first go at it. It will be my first MMO, so I've been reading up on all the tactics and terminology I can in order to shorten my learning curve.

The usual internet mutterings indicate that Bio is still pushing to a release this fall...in one case, a poster on another board claimed to work at a bookstore that was scheduled to stock the strategy guide for it in early October. Would make sense for the game to come out roughly when this guide does, eh? I hope...

I can't say no to this one, I've been a gigantic SW geek since age 4 and the KOTOR games were spectacular. Glad a bunch of you are on board!
    six sigma
    NET Rookie

Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:13 am
  • I'm pretty sure SWTOR won't release until November or December. EA is the publisher for it and BF3, and BF3 is coming out October 25th. It'd be stupid to release SWTOR before BF3, or within a week or two after BF3's release.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:37 pm
  • I will be playing likely rolling Jedi sentinel, we should provide names and server info when this goes live.
    Dreaming of Gran Turismo 5
    Rflagg
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:37 pm
  • I'd be down to play on a Seahawk Guild, that would actually be pretty dorky and funny. We have random characters named after Seahawks players past and present.
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:52 pm
  • Lol. I'll post what server I'm playing on when the game launches, but the guild I'll be in does not allow anyone to join, it's rather private. I'll be Imperial side, so maybe someone should make a Republic Seahawks guild on the same server, or something? :)
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:19 pm
  • Fudwamper wrote:I'd be down to play on a Seahawk Guild, that would actually be pretty dorky and funny. We have random characters named after Seahawks players past and present.

Dibs on Bozz the Trandoshan bounty hunter! :lol:
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:57 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    Fudwamper wrote:I'd be down to play on a Seahawk Guild, that would actually be pretty dorky and funny. We have random characters named after Seahawks players past and present.

His name is Bossk.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:32 am
  • Smurf wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:
    Fudwamper wrote:I'd be down to play on a Seahawk Guild, that would actually be pretty dorky and funny. We have random characters named after Seahawks players past and present.

His name is Bossk.

This is the Old Republic. Bozz is Bossk's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:56 am
  • Smurf wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:

His name is Bossk.

Joke comprehension fail.

(+1 to Jay's joke, though.)
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:25 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:Joke comprehension fail.

No, Jokes are funny.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:54 pm
  • Smurf wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:Joke comprehension fail.

No, Jokes are funny.

You're a Dane Cook fan, aren't you.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:35 pm
    Zing... Dane Cook is terrible.

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:12 am
  • First of all, a lot has been made about the new “fourth pillar” of story telling. Is it really all they are making it out to be? In my personal opinion, yes, it really is a big deal and let me tell you why. In the short time I’ve been playing SW:TOR I have already given more thought to my character than I ever did in all the years I played WOW. I’ve had to make hard choices with my Bounty Hunter that have made me honestly think about who he is and what he’s like. At first I intended to play him as a real asshole but some of the moral quagmires these quests put you in just aren’t that black and white. Do I do what gets me the most credits? Do I stay loyal to the person who gave me the job even it means hurting Innocent people? As a result of all this I have a character that is a hard ass bounty hunter who has a soft spot for people in trouble and children. The only thing I could tell you about my WOW character Dudefella is that he was a mage and a hell of a good dancer.

Of course all MMO’s now are going to have you taking quests but I think the big difference here is that I tend to care more about these quests. I will admit I am not a quest reader when I play an MMO. I click and click until it’s accepted and then read the breakdown on my way out to wherever the wolf bladders are. Playing a class in SW:TOR is like playing a single player Bioware game. People are talking to you and you’re deciding how to respond and making dialog choices. Turning the quests into an interactive experience makes me care a lot more about them. A quest is still a chance to get XP, money and loot but it’s also an opportunity to advance your character towards the dark or light side based on your decisions. In most MMO’s taking quests is what you do so that you can go play. In SW:TOR, taking quests is playing.

A nice little mini-oped about SW:TOR from "Gabe" @ Penny Arcade.

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:29 pm
  • Yeah, I was highly pleased to read that. More hopeful for the game to be awesome than ever before.

Ugh, I can't wait for that flippin' game to come out.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:41 pm
  • So, who's pre-ordering? :3:
    six sigma
    NET Rookie

Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:32 pm
  • Sammy and I already did. Who else has?
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:49 am
  • I did this morning; pre-ordered the standard version from Amazon. The redemption code activated right away, too.

Between this and BF3 I'm not going to need any other games for quite some time.
    six sigma
    NET Rookie

Next

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:29 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ FANTASY ISLAND ]

Information