Sounders Season Thread ***YEDLIN SOLD***

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
OH MY GAWD LET THESE DROGBA RUMORS STOP.

He's a decent player....but I really don't want him anywhere near this squad. Getting him seems unnecessary. It also makes setting the roster more difficult.

Do we have to buy down Ozzie to make Drogba a DP? Do we have to move Oba? When does he arrive. How does he effect the chemistry?

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
Why am I beginning to feel like getting Drogba would make us the New York Yankees of MLS?

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
I'm totally in favor of the Sounders improving and actually making a deep run in the playoffs, but I don't think Drogba gets us there.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Yeah, and didn't we recently get a nice chunk of change from Montero leaving? Gotta imagine we're gonna spend that, be it on Drogba or someone else.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
razgriz737":rho6mp19 said:
Yeah, and didn't we recently get a nice chunk of change from Montero leaving? Gotta imagine we're gonna spend that, be it on Drogba or someone else.

Well, not quite. Part of the money goes to Deportivo Cali in Columbia (where we got Fredy). I've heard its about 1/3rd of what we got for him. I believe Millionairos gets a very small portion of it too for helping us out with the loan (I think its related to who pays his salary).

Then the MLS gets a portion (remember, THEY own all of the players and their rights are just distributed to the clubs...cause single entity).

Then the Sounders get theirs. So that number you have read (I've heard ranges $4-15million) isn't EXACTLY as it appears to be.

Then throw in some of that HAS to be going towards paying Clint Dempsey's ridiculous salary.

Things just don't add up for me equaling us going after Drogba. It'd be cool to have a big star like that...another one....but, it's not what I want. I want an MLS Cup Championship....and I don't think Drogba gets us there. I don't think EJ would get us there.

The MLS is not won by big stars. That puts buts in the seats. The MLS is won by cohesive teams. Look at the last 6 years of this league. Sporting Kansas City, LA Galaxy (2), Colorado Rapids, Real Salt Lake, and Columbus Crew are your Champions. Only the Galaxy are a team with a big list of names....but those names played for their city, for their teammates, and the crest on the jersey. If you go back and watch those championship games you will see how hard David Beckham and Landon Donovan are working off the ball on defense. They ran their asses off for the cause. Because their team needed them too. Thats why they won. Then were a strong TEAM and worked for one another.

As much as I love my Sounders I haven't seen that recently...and then the reports of a bad locker room started appearing. Its not a coincidence we haven't been able to win one. There has been a problem. Some say its at the top with Sigi...and who knows, they could be right. But I think there is more too it than that. I don't think those boys were truly playing for each other, and haven't been since 2011.

That changes this season.

Though on paper we appear to be a less talented team, I think we will be a stronger team, a more mentally tough team, and a deep team.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Smurf":1qu6o1u0 said:
razgriz737":1qu6o1u0 said:

Well, not quite. Part of the money goes to Deportivo Cali in Columbia (where we got Fredy). I've heard its about 1/3rd of what we got for him. I believe Millionairos gets a very small portion of it too for helping us out with the loan (I think its related to who pays his salary).

Then the MLS gets a portion (remember, THEY own all of the players and their rights are just distributed to the clubs...cause single entity).

Then the Sounders get theirs. So that number you have read (I've heard ranges $4-15million) isn't EXACTLY as it appears to be.

Then throw in some of that HAS to be going towards paying Clint Dempsey's ridiculous salary.

Things just don't add up for me equaling us going after Drogba. It'd be cool to have a big star like that...another one....but, it's not what I want. I want an MLS Cup Championship....and I don't think Drogba gets us there. I don't think EJ would get us there.

The MLS is not won by big stars. That puts buts in the seats. The MLS is won by cohesive teams. Look at the last 6 years of this league. Sporting Kansas City, LA Galaxy (2), Colorado Rapids, Real Salt Lake, and Columbus Crew are your Champions. Only the Galaxy are a team with a big list of names....but those names played for their city, for their teammates, and the crest on the jersey. If you go back and watch those championship games you will see how hard David Beckham and Landon Donovan are working off the ball on defense. They ran their asses off for the cause. Because their team needed them too. Thats why they won. Then were a strong TEAM and worked for one another.

As much as I love my Sounders I haven't seen that recently...and then the reports of a bad locker room started appearing. Its not a coincidence we haven't been able to win one. There has been a problem. Some say its at the top with Sigi...and who knows, they could be right. But I think there is more too it than that. I don't think those boys were truly playing for each other, and haven't been since 2011.

That changes this season.

Though on paper we appear to be a less talented team, I think we will be a stronger team, a more mentally tough team, and a deep team.

Smurf, great post. I can't disagree with anything you said. Chemistry is extremely important. It was severely lacking on the pitch last season and there were players on the team that were in it for themselves. Those guys are gone. Trying to bring in top internationals haven't really panned out for them - Ljungberg, Nkufo, Johnson, etc really didn't pan out in bringing championships to Seattle. Lot of these guys are interested in invididual success vs. team success. Hopefully that mindset has changed with the current team. I'd like to get back to how they played in their first 3 seasons. That was an emerging top team. For the most part, they played well together those years.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Ah, thanks for clearing that up Smurf about the Montero money.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything in the rest of your post as well, especially the last bit. Everything we are hearing thus far from the players is that the lockeroom appears to be a better environment, so hopefully that's a good sign.

knownone

Reaction score
What's with the Drogba hate?

The man is synonymous with work ethic. 8 goals in 11 appearances in the Chinese Super League, while not getting all of his wages.

He fills a role that doesn't require a great deal of chemistry to succeed right away. His game is built on ferocious strength, accuracy and savvy with both feet, great touch and he's an absolute menace in the air. Honestly, if the he joins MLS.. he is the best forward in MLS.

For those wondering how we'd fit him in, Trade Cooper for a modest amount of AM, buy down Ozzie and viola enter the best attacking side in MLS history.

Storts

Reaction score
How did Dempsey do last year? I know he didn't score too many but how did he play?

Also what's the opinion on Robbie Keane stateside, has he been a success?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Robbie's done well enough. He has a fairly strong midfield to run off so he can play that slashing style he brought to the Prem. Dempsey was a disappointment in my mind. Fairly innocuous off the ball and lacked invention with it. He was not the cowboy he was at Fulham. A lot had to do with the distribution behind him and lack of creativity by his mates when he received the ball..

The hardest adaptation these star strikers encounter when they come here is the lack of movement around them. Henry has adapted quite well... And Keane was adequately helped by internationals behind him. Dempsey struggled with a rather tepid Sounders side. I didn't see them add anyone that would help that either

Storts

Reaction score
Uncle Si":16676nth said:
Robbie's done well enough. He has a fairly string midfield to run off so he can play that slashing style he brought to the Premium. Dempsey was a disappointment in my mind. Fairly innocuous off the ball and lacked invention with it. He was not the cowboy he was at Fulham. A lot had to do with the distribution behind him and lack of creativity by his mates when he received the ball..

The hardest adaptation these star strikers encounter when they come here is the lack of movement around them. Henry has adapted quite well... And Keane was adequately helped by internationals behind him. Dempsey struggled with a rather tepid Sounders side. I didn't see them add anyone that would help that either

Thanks, Robbie's goal record looks really good and I am not surprised he's been successful. Definitely helps that he has strong players behind him because it will allow him to use his natural football intelligence that he has in abundance just to create the space for himself.

I thought Dempsey might be a disappointment, not because he's a bad player, because he isn't, but there was so much hype surrounding his return, he had a difficult period at Tottenham and as you say the re-integration to a league with far weaker players was always going to be difficult. Although the Sounders may not have strengthened much I think Dempsey will have a far better season now he's reacclimatised. I hope so anyway, he seems like a really decent guy.

Chapow

Reaction score
^^^ Love it. Like you said, clean, simple, elegant. I think they'll look great on the pitch. That being said, I can't imagine anything that wouldn't be a tremendous upgrade from the super cyan kit. Gawd those were horrendous, and that awful collar on those things just made them even worse.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I like the new Pitch Black uniforms too. I hope they make that the primary or secondary uniform. I actually like it better than cascade shade or rave green.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
The Timbers new kit is better.

Looking forward to a season of the Sounders' struggling and the Timbers kicking ass. (Though Vancouver's looking dangerous.)

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":hln5zreq said:
The Timbers new kit is better.

I am a Sounder's fan, but you cannot be serious with this? The timbers new kits are not orb pleasuring at all.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I meant the Rose City Reds, not the third kit.

Jersey_Details_v1.4.jpg

Comparing the black scheme.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
Regarding the kits, can we ALL agree that the sponsor name on the front is horrible?