Sounders Season Thread ***YEDLIN SOLD***

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":1aab1x2e said:
Regarding the kits, can we ALL agree that the sponsor name on the front is horrible?

That's the way soccer is. We are not used to it in the U.S. but everywhere else, it's commonplace.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2dtlp2ie said:
razgriz737":2dtlp2ie said:

Seems like a good signing. The Sounders sure have a lot of midfielders. The challenge will be getting them playing time. Dempsey, Pineda, Alonso, Rose, Pappa, Evans, Neagle, Kovar, and Pereira.

I have to believe that something is going to happen resulting in the departure of at least one of them. No way do they go and spend the money, as well as the DP slot, to get Pineda if they thought that he wasn't better than one of their current options.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":34v4zgpw said:
hawkfan68":34v4zgpw said:
razgriz737":34v4zgpw said:

Seems like a good signing. The Sounders sure have a lot of midfielders. The challenge will be getting them playing time. Dempsey, Pineda, Alonso, Rose, Pappa, Evans, Neagle, Kovar, and Pereira.

I have to believe that something is going to happen resulting in the departure of at least one of them. No way do they go and spend the money, as well as the DP slot, to get Pineda if they thought that he wasn't better than one of their current options.

Where are you seeing that they spent a DP slot on Pineda?

And they did already ditch a midfielder to make room in Alex Caskey.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
Smurf":1tbj0d64 said:
Kennedyin92":1tbj0d64 said:
hawkfan68":1tbj0d64 said:
razgriz737":1tbj0d64 said:

Where are you seeing that they spent a DP slot on Pineda?

And they did already ditch a midfielder to make room in Alex Caskey.

Thought I read that somewhere, but I was mistaken.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Season starts in just a matter of days, and I'm off work early today....so here is a current roster. Going to give a breakdown of who we have, what position(s) they play, and where they most likely are on the depth chart thus far.

Before getting to who is who, and where they stack up with the squad. Let's talk about tactics. The Sounders will most likely be employing a asymetrical Diamond 4-1-2-1-2 formation this season.

That looks something like this:

--------ST-----ST-----------

-----------CAM--------------
-----LM----------------RM--

------------CDM-------------

LB------------------------RB

--------CB------CB---------
-----------GK--------------

Starting from the Back.

Goalkeepers:

Stephan Frei - Most likely your starter, however not yet announced by the Big Man. Frie is known as a reflex keeper, with decent to good positioning. I'd expect him to start 80%+ matches this season. Only concern on him is how well he holds up. He's not made of Porcelain or anything, but he is coming off a torn ACL. This could be the biggest dip in Goalkeeper talent the MLS Sounders have seen.

Marcus Hahnemann - Back for one last season he will compete to start, but I don't think he will. He'll get matches, no doubt about it. Hahnemann's biggest asset is his experience and positioning. He will rarely make mistakes, but has more ability to get beat in the athleticism department.

Josh Ford - Our third keeper. He could get a start at some point this season in league play, but we'll most likely see him in Open Cup and reserve games. He's a pure shot blocker. Extremely athletic, excellent hand eye coordination. He's just very young, and his positioning isn't the greatest (his athleticism bails him out too much).

Backline:

DeAndre Yedlin - Yedlin is no doubt your season long starter at Right Back. He is the biggest prospect the Sounders have had since Fredy Montero in 2009, and better yet, he was born and raised in the 206. He's a Seattle boy through and through. If you're a fan of the EPL, Yedlin reminds me A LOT of Man Utd's Rafael. Pacey up the wing, wants to get involved in the attack, has incredible recovery speed, and is a good tackler. He's improving mentally, and if he ever learns to cross the ball with better accuracy, and with more consistency he will be playing in Europe. Until then we have one of the best young Right Backs in the league. It will be interesting to see if Yedlin gets a stronger look at making the US World Cup Team as Summer Approaches. If he comes out of the gate in Magnificent form we could be missing him for a few games while he is in Brazil.

Chad Marshall - Gone are the days of Hurtado, Parke, and Ianni. All three of them are on different clubs in MLS and we've replaced them with some mighty fine players. The first of them is Chad Marshall. A big (6'4) player who excels in the air. He is not fast, but id decently athletic for his size. He has a hell of a head on his shoulders though. Very intelligent player who rarely puts himself in bad positions. He was a late bloomer and missed out on a trip to the World Cup with the 2010 team, though getting several looks form then head coach Bob Bradley. At this point he hasn't gotten a look with the team headed to Brazil. Marshall will be the first Centerback on the teamsheet every week...the bigger question is who pairs with him. Also, he is a threat in the Air on Set Pieces. He could net us a few goals this season too.

Jalil Anibaba - Anibaba is most likely Marshall's partner in the back line. At 6'0 he is the shortest CB on the roster, but he is probably the most athletic of the Centerback options. He has good pace and has experience in MLS (Chicago Fire). Anibaba brings some flexibility as well. He can play Right Back as well, and if forced too could play as a Holding Central Midfielder.

Djimi Traore - Traore is the other option to start besides Marshall in the back. He's a veteran who once won the UEFA Champions League with Liverpool. He's got good athleticism for a 6'3 34 year old. I've seen him do bicycle kick clearances regularly. He's not fast, but he's smart enough a player to compensate. He's a great option to have as he can still play at a starting 11 level for this team. Both he and Anibaba both of their upsides and downsides, but I think Anibaba will be the preferred partner for Marshall based on his athleticism.

Leo Gonzalez - Leo will be your preferred Left Back this season.....maybe. Leo is not at 100% right now, and most likely won't be in the 18 man roster for opening day. This leaves the door open for 2nd year player Dylan Remick to make an impression early in the season. Sigi has already stated that Leo is his preferred starter at Left Back, but Remick will have every opportunity to prove himself. I'd expect Gonzalez to play 70% of the matches this season, with Remick or Scott filling in. Leo is an excellent 1v1 defender with a wealth of experience. It is worth noting that his age is starting to catch up to him, as he's lost a step.

Dylan Remick - Remick is an interesting player, and somewhat of an unknown. I've only seen him play a handful of times, but I know a couple of things. He's a natural left footed player, and from what I've seen he adds well to the attack. He can put in a good ball to the box, and was the lone bright spot in the 6-1 drubbing we took at Colorado last season. He came on as a second half sub and provided a spark up the left flank. The thing that to me is most telling about this player, the club has enough confidence in him to let Marc Burch walk, and to not look for a replacement. They feel he can get the job done. He is one of the players I am most intrigued about this season. We may have our long term LB on the roster in Dylan Remick.

Zach Scott - A Sounder legend at this point. Hes been with the Club since 2002. He's had several special moments with the club including, and MVP performance vs the KC Wizards in the 2008 US Open Cup where he also scored the winning Penalty kick, the 2009 US Open Cup Where he scored the winning Penalty Kick to oust the Timbers, and in 2013 he conceded a critical penalty in the Open Cup Final vs Sporting KC, only to score later in the game to force Extra Time. Scott can play all four positions along the back line with CB being his best position. Scott is an aerial threat, and bone crunching tackler. He's not the most talented player to ever suit for the squad, but he's an invaluable member of this club. He is a true Sounder and knows what it means to play for the crest.

Damion Lowe - Lowe is a Centerback, and the Sounders 1st round draft pick. He looks to be the 5th choice CB at this point so baring injury I don't think we will see him much in league play. I have never seen him play before so I can't offer any analysis as of yet. But I hear he is more along the lines of Anibaba than he is any other CB thus far.

Jimmy Ockford - Ockford is another Sounders draft pick form this last offseason. He's a more physical CB (along the lines of Zach Scott). He has been loaned to the New York Cosmos for the Season.

Midfielders:

Osvaldo Alonso - The Honey Badger is a fearless defensive midfielder, and the heartbeat of the team on the field. He often sets the defensive tone and is a great distributor of the ball to his playmakers. He was rewarded in the offseason with a big contract making him a DP player. He is the second player to earn DP status via play on the pitch for the club (Fredy Montero was the first). The presence of Alonso makes our Diamond formation possible. He will be in the starting 11 95% of the time baring injury. He is usually at the top of the club as far as minutes logged.

Brad Evans - Known as the Sheriff, Evans may have another title to add, Captain. He was handed the Armband by his teammates at the end of last season after Mauro Rosales had injury struggles. In the offseason he was rewarded with a new contract. Evans is your starter on the right side of midfield, and will give some defensive balance to that side of the pitch. He is a good enough defender that when Yedlin attacks with reckless abandoned Evans can cover the right side. Evans and Yedlin's combination play could be critical to the success of the club going forward. Evans is also a very versatile player, and one of Sigi's favorites. He can play every position on the field with a decent success rate with the exception of keeper...not only can he...He HAS played all those positions. Evans is a decent technical player, who's soccer brain has been improving with age. Evans also appears to be the front runner for the Starting Right Back job with the World Cup Bound US team.

Clint Dempsey - Dempsey will be returning from a short loan Spell at Fulham which didn't do him any favors. He was incredibly out of form the two months he was there, and Fulham are quite frankly...Awful. His form is a bit concerning, but he's a quality player. It may take some time for him to get it in gear, but he has incredible break out potential. With the World Cup quickly approaching he needs to get it going here pretty quick for the sake of the US team, for which he is presently the Captain. Dempsey has wonderful ball skills, a crisp and power shot, and is a good distributor. He will most likely fill more a midfield role this season than one up front. This is mostly due to the larger influx of Strikers the team acquired this offseason. Dempsey will most likely start in the CAM role, but could play outwide to either side, or up top. CAM is his best position. He will likely have license to roam, and create.

Marco Pappa - The Guatemalan international is the Sounders biggest offseason addition in my opinion. He is an MLS veteran (Chicago Fire), and returned to the league this offseason via the allocation order, Sounders were first and acquired him. The Fire reportedly wanted him, but the Sounders wanted too much so a deal never materialized. Pappa is a creative midfielder. He will play on the left side. He has pretty decent pace and is a good passer of the ball. I am excited to see what he can bring to the team. In years past he was the best player the Chicago Fire had, it will be interesting to see if he can recapture that form.

Lamar Neagle - Neagle is one of our fringe 11 players. He'll make the 18 when healthy, but he most likely will be making his largest impact off the bench this season. He is your first choice sub for either outside midfielders, or either striker. He will get his minutes this season. Neagle is a pacey player with a knack for scoring. His goals aren't pretty, and rarely is his play, but he gets results.

Aaron Kovar - Kovar is one of this seasons new Home Grown Player signings. Like Yedlin he was born and raised in the 206 and played for the Sounders Academy. He is a fast player, and is naturally left footed. He plays in a good ball from what I've seen. He could see some time on the pitch this season.

Gonzalo Pineda - Freshly Signed, Pineda has been with the team all through pre-season. Pineda (31) is a midfielder most well known for a good ability to Mark. He is also naturally left footed and has a rocket of a shot. He will most likely be in the rotation at LM, as well as potentially an insurance policy should Alonso go down. Granted, I don't have a lot of information on Pineda or seen him play many times (twice that I'm aware of), he looks to be a good addition to the club.

Andy Rose - Everyones favorite Goat of a Player. Often times when the club struggles people relate it to Andy Rose being on the pitch. IMO he's not a bad player, hes a squad rotation guy for sure. He'll play in the starting 11 now and again as needed but he's not a guy to start 6 games in a row. He has pretty decent feet, and has pretty good tactical awareness. His fitness levels frustrate me at times. Rose will see some time this season, but most likely due to injury, fatigue, or tactical reasons....though the signing of Pineda should be Alarming for him.

Fabio Pereira - Pereira is a player who loves to attack and get after people. In preseason he always made a difference when he came on the pitch. He's got a cannon of a foot, and seems to be in the running to spell Clint Dempsey in the CAM when needed.

Shalrie Joseph - Presently he is on the roster, but he is NOT in the plans of the Sounders going forward. I'd expect his contract to be bought out before the season Starts.

Forwards:

Obafemi Martins - No doubt Martins is the first Striker on the team sheet when healthy. He's coming off his first break from football in almost 24 months. He looked refreshed in the preseason scoring a bunch of goals. His partnership with Kenny Cooper already seems light years better than it ever was with Eddie Johnson. Oba is healthy, and thats the big thing here. I'd say he has a shot at winning the Golden Boot this season.

Kenny Cooper - One of the streakiest strikers you'll ever see. He was magnificent for FC Dallas in 06-09 scoring 40 goals in 90 games, Since then he has scored 34 goals in 118 games for 5 different clubs. 18 of those goals came in 2012 when he played for the New York Red Bulls next to Thierry Henry. I think Cooper is, and always has been, a beneficiary of his surroundings. He's not the striker to build your team around, but he'll net you some goals when you put good people around him. When you look at him you see a 6'3 aerial powerhouse....but thats not how he plays. He's, frustratingly, a talented version of Nate Jaqua (sans looking like a Giraffe on Ice Skates when he runs). He's got great touch on the ball, and is a threat to score when played to his feet. I think paired next to Oba Martins will do great things for him.

Sean Okoli - Ever since the first Academy season ended I have been hearing about this kid. He went on a tear. Scored boat loads of goals. People wanted him to be the first ever Home Grown Player for the club...and it just seemed to not happen. I was starting to wonder if Okoli would ever be a Sounder...but it appears the team was just waiting for the right time. Okoli was signed as a HGP this offseason and has already impressed in preseason. He has been instrumental in the games he has played in being involved in a large portion of the goals the club has scored. Okoli is a pacey player with good aerial skills. He will probably see more time than fellow HGP Aaron Kovar, though most of his time will be off the bench. I'm excited to see what he can do with the club now that He's FINALLY made it to the first team.

Tristen Bowen - Bowen is a Cali boy. Former Galaxy and Chivas USA player. He's fast, has a cannon for a shot, and has a good ability to hold the ball up. If Cooper or Martins can't go I'd expect him to be in the mix to get a start.

Chad Barrett - You thought Cooper was our aerial threat bruiser striker? Nope...that would be Chad Barrett. Barrett is merciless going for the ball. He's not the most talented player, but he knows how to use his body to his advantage.

David Estrada - He, Like Lamar Neagle, is another one of those Midfielder/Striker Hybrids. He can play either outwide or up top, but he has been most successful up top for the club. Estrada is a quick player, but lacks size. He is a work horse though. Going 90 is no problem for him....he can score goals too. Has a Sounders hat trick under his belt.

Eriq Zavaleta - At first the Sounders werent sure whether to play Zavaleta at CB or ST....well Striker is the way they went, and then they acquired a bunch of other strikers. Zavaleta looked to be the odd man out, but the club still wants to see how he develops so they have sent him on loan to Chivas USA for the season. Hopefully he gets some time with the Goats and Mauro can serve him some goals.

This roster is NOT final, and its possible we add another player or two in the coming days.

Anybody got any questions for me?

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Y'all like movie trailers? Well here's some re-purposed for Sounders:

[youtube]8AdXlrWCLOo[/youtube]

[youtube]XyvJCHnFaNc[/youtube]

[youtube]R4rYtQq-I98[/youtube]

[youtube]mqYVQfei6H0[/youtube]

[youtube]m_K9sbnPhzM[/youtube]

[youtube]h9x_Yihp8sY[/youtube]

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Smurf":qfrp08qy said:
Season starts in just a matter of days, and I'm off work early today....so here is a current roster. Going to give a breakdown of who we have, what position(s) they play, and where they most likely are on the depth chart thus far.

Before getting to who is who, and where they stack up with the squad. Let's talk about tactics. The Sounders will most likely be employing a asymetrical Diamond 4-1-2-1-2 formation this season.

That looks something like this:

--------ST-----ST-----------

-----------CAM--------------
-----LM----------------RM--

------------CDM-------------

LB------------------------RB

--------CB------CB---------
-----------GK--------------

Starting from the Back.

Goalkeepers:

Stephan Frei - Most likely your starter, however not yet announced by the Big Man. Frie is known as a reflex keeper, with decent to good positioning. I'd expect him to start 80%+ matches this season. Only concern on him is how well he holds up. He's not made of Porcelain or anything, but he is coming off a torn ACL. This could be the biggest dip in Goalkeeper talent the MLS Sounders have seen.

Marcus Hahnemann - Back for one last season he will compete to start, but I don't think he will. He'll get matches, no doubt about it. Hahnemann's biggest asset is his experience and positioning. He will rarely make mistakes, but has more ability to get beat in the athleticism department.

Josh Ford - Our third keeper. He could get a start at some point this season in league play, but we'll most likely see him in Open Cup and reserve games. He's a pure shot blocker. Extremely athletic, excellent hand eye coordination. He's just very young, and his positioning isn't the greatest (his athleticism bails him out too much).

Backline:

DeAndre Yedlin - Yedlin is no doubt your season long starter at Right Back. He is the biggest prospect the Sounders have had since Fredy Montero in 2009, and better yet, he was born and raised in the 206. He's a Seattle boy through and through. If you're a fan of the EPL, Yedlin reminds me A LOT of Man Utd's Rafael. Pacey up the wing, wants to get involved in the attack, has incredible recovery speed, and is a good tackler. He's improving mentally, and if he ever learns to cross the ball with better accuracy, and with more consistency he will be playing in Europe. Until then we have one of the best young Right Backs in the league. It will be interesting to see if Yedlin gets a stronger look at making the US World Cup Team as Summer Approaches. If he comes out of the gate in Magnificent form we could be missing him for a few games while he is in Brazil.

Chad Marshall - Gone are the days of Hurtado, Parke, and Ianni. All three of them are on different clubs in MLS and we've replaced them with some mighty fine players. The first of them is Chad Marshall. A big (6'4) player who excels in the air. He is not fast, but id decently athletic for his size. He has a hell of a head on his shoulders though. Very intelligent player who rarely puts himself in bad positions. He was a late bloomer and missed out on a trip to the World Cup with the 2010 team, though getting several looks form then head coach Bob Bradley. At this point he hasn't gotten a look with the team headed to Brazil. Marshall will be the first Centerback on the teamsheet every week...the bigger question is who pairs with him. Also, he is a threat in the Air on Set Pieces. He could net us a few goals this season too.

Jalil Anibaba - Anibaba is most likely Marshall's partner in the back line. At 6'0 he is the shortest CB on the roster, but he is probably the most athletic of the Centerback options. He has good pace and has experience in MLS (Chicago Fire). Anibaba brings some flexibility as well. He can play Right Back as well, and if forced too could play as a Holding Central Midfielder.

Djimi Traore - Traore is the other option to start besides Marshall in the back. He's a veteran who once won the UEFA Champions League with Liverpool. He's got good athleticism for a 6'3 34 year old. I've seen him do bicycle kick clearances regularly. He's not fast, but he's smart enough a player to compensate. He's a great option to have as he can still play at a starting 11 level for this team. Both he and Anibaba both of their upsides and downsides, but I think Anibaba will be the preferred partner for Marshall based on his athleticism.

Leo Gonzalez - Leo will be your preferred Left Back this season.....maybe. Leo is not at 100% right now, and most likely won't be in the 18 man roster for opening day. This leaves the door open for 2nd year player Dylan Remick to make an impression early in the season. Sigi has already stated that Leo is his preferred starter at Left Back, but Remick will have every opportunity to prove himself. I'd expect Gonzalez to play 70% of the matches this season, with Remick or Scott filling in. Leo is an excellent 1v1 defender with a wealth of experience. It is worth noting that his age is starting to catch up to him, as he's lost a step.

Dylan Remick - Remick is an interesting player, and somewhat of an unknown. I've only seen him play a handful of times, but I know a couple of things. He's a natural left footed player, and from what I've seen he adds well to the attack. He can put in a good ball to the box, and was the lone bright spot in the 6-1 drubbing we took at Colorado last season. He came on as a second half sub and provided a spark up the left flank. The thing that to me is most telling about this player, the club has enough confidence in him to let Marc Burch walk, and to not look for a replacement. They feel he can get the job done. He is one of the players I am most intrigued about this season. We may have our long term LB on the roster in Dylan Remick.

Zach Scott - A Sounder legend at this point. Hes been with the Club since 2002. He's had several special moments with the club including, and MVP performance vs the KC Wizards in the 2008 US Open Cup where he also scored the winning Penalty kick, the 2009 US Open Cup Where he scored the winning Penalty Kick to oust the Timbers, and in 2013 he conceded a critical penalty in the Open Cup Final vs Sporting KC, only to score later in the game to force Extra Time. Scott can play all four positions along the back line with CB being his best position. Scott is an aerial threat, and bone crunching tackler. He's not the most talented player to ever suit for the squad, but he's an invaluable member of this club. He is a true Sounder and knows what it means to play for the crest.

Damion Lowe - Lowe is a Centerback, and the Sounders 1st round draft pick. He looks to be the 5th choice CB at this point so baring injury I don't think we will see him much in league play. I have never seen him play before so I can't offer any analysis as of yet. But I hear he is more along the lines of Anibaba than he is any other CB thus far.

Jimmy Ockford - Ockford is another Sounders draft pick form this last offseason. He's a more physical CB (along the lines of Zach Scott). He has been loaned to the New York Cosmos for the Season.

Midfielders:

Osvaldo Alonso - The Honey Badger is a fearless defensive midfielder, and the heartbeat of the team on the field. He often sets the defensive tone and is a great distributor of the ball to his playmakers. He was rewarded in the offseason with a big contract making him a DP player. He is the second player to earn DP status via play on the pitch for the club (Fredy Montero was the first). The presence of Alonso makes our Diamond formation possible. He will be in the starting 11 95% of the time baring injury. He is usually at the top of the club as far as minutes logged.

Brad Evans - Known as the Sheriff, Evans may have another title to add, Captain. He was handed the Armband by his teammates at the end of last season after Mauro Rosales had injury struggles. In the offseason he was rewarded with a new contract. Evans is your starter on the right side of midfield, and will give some defensive balance to that side of the pitch. He is a good enough defender that when Yedlin attacks with reckless abandoned Evans can cover the right side. Evans and Yedlin's combination play could be critical to the success of the club going forward. Evans is also a very versatile player, and one of Sigi's favorites. He can play every position on the field with a decent success rate with the exception of keeper...not only can he...He HAS played all those positions. Evans is a decent technical player, who's soccer brain has been improving with age. Evans also appears to be the front runner for the Starting Right Back job with the World Cup Bound US team.

Clint Dempsey - Dempsey will be returning from a short loan Spell at Fulham which didn't do him any favors. He was incredibly out of form the two months he was there, and Fulham are quite frankly...Awful. His form is a bit concerning, but he's a quality player. It may take some time for him to get it in gear, but he has incredible break out potential. With the World Cup quickly approaching he needs to get it going here pretty quick for the sake of the US team, for which he is presently the Captain. Dempsey has wonderful ball skills, a crisp and power shot, and is a good distributor. He will most likely fill more a midfield role this season than one up front. This is mostly due to the larger influx of Strikers the team acquired this offseason. Dempsey will most likely start in the CAM role, but could play outwide to either side, or up top. CAM is his best position. He will likely have license to roam, and create.

Marco Pappa - The Guatemalan international is the Sounders biggest offseason addition in my opinion. He is an MLS veteran (Chicago Fire), and returned to the league this offseason via the allocation order, Sounders were first and acquired him. The Fire reportedly wanted him, but the Sounders wanted too much so a deal never materialized. Pappa is a creative midfielder. He will play on the left side. He has pretty decent pace and is a good passer of the ball. I am excited to see what he can bring to the team. In years past he was the best player the Chicago Fire had, it will be interesting to see if he can recapture that form.

Lamar Neagle - Neagle is one of our fringe 11 players. He'll make the 18 when healthy, but he most likely will be making his largest impact off the bench this season. He is your first choice sub for either outside midfielders, or either striker. He will get his minutes this season. Neagle is a pacey player with a knack for scoring. His goals aren't pretty, and rarely is his play, but he gets results.

Aaron Kovar - Kovar is one of this seasons new Home Grown Player signings. Like Yedlin he was born and raised in the 206 and played for the Sounders Academy. He is a fast player, and is naturally left footed. He plays in a good ball from what I've seen. He could see some time on the pitch this season.

Gonzalo Pineda - Freshly Signed, Pineda has been with the team all through pre-season. Pineda (31) is a midfielder most well known for a good ability to Mark. He is also naturally left footed and has a rocket of a shot. He will most likely be in the rotation at LM, as well as potentially an insurance policy should Alonso go down. Granted, I don't have a lot of information on Pineda or seen him play many times (twice that I'm aware of), he looks to be a good addition to the club.

Andy Rose - Everyones favorite Goat of a Player. Often times when the club struggles people relate it to Andy Rose being on the pitch. IMO he's not a bad player, hes a squad rotation guy for sure. He'll play in the starting 11 now and again as needed but he's not a guy to start 6 games in a row. He has pretty decent feet, and has pretty good tactical awareness. His fitness levels frustrate me at times. Rose will see some time this season, but most likely due to injury, fatigue, or tactical reasons....though the signing of Pineda should be Alarming for him.

Fabio Pereira - Pereira is a player who loves to attack and get after people. In preseason he always made a difference when he came on the pitch. He's got a cannon of a foot, and seems to be in the running to spell Clint Dempsey in the CAM when needed.

Shalrie Joseph - Presently he is on the roster, but he is NOT in the plans of the Sounders going forward. I'd expect his contract to be bought out before the season Starts.

Forwards:

Obafemi Martins - No doubt Martins is the first Striker on the team sheet when healthy. He's coming off his first break from football in almost 24 months. He looked refreshed in the preseason scoring a bunch of goals. His partnership with Kenny Cooper already seems light years better than it ever was with Eddie Johnson. Oba is healthy, and thats the big thing here. I'd say he has a shot at winning the Golden Boot this season.

Kenny Cooper - One of the streakiest strikers you'll ever see. He was magnificent for FC Dallas in 06-09 scoring 40 goals in 90 games, Since then he has scored 34 goals in 118 games for 5 different clubs. 18 of those goals came in 2012 when he played for the New York Red Bulls next to Thierry Henry. I think Cooper is, and always has been, a beneficiary of his surroundings. He's not the striker to build your team around, but he'll net you some goals when you put good people around him. When you look at him you see a 6'3 aerial powerhouse....but thats not how he plays. He's, frustratingly, a talented version of Nate Jaqua (sans looking like a Giraffe on Ice Skates when he runs). He's got great touch on the ball, and is a threat to score when played to his feet. I think paired next to Oba Martins will do great things for him.

Sean Okoli - Ever since the first Academy season ended I have been hearing about this kid. He went on a tear. Scored boat loads of goals. People wanted him to be the first ever Home Grown Player for the club...and it just seemed to not happen. I was starting to wonder if Okoli would ever be a Sounder...but it appears the team was just waiting for the right time. Okoli was signed as a HGP this offseason and has already impressed in preseason. He has been instrumental in the games he has played in being involved in a large portion of the goals the club has scored. Okoli is a pacey player with good aerial skills. He will probably see more time than fellow HGP Aaron Kovar, though most of his time will be off the bench. I'm excited to see what he can do with the club now that He's FINALLY made it to the first team.

Tristen Bowen - Bowen is a Cali boy. Former Galaxy and Chivas USA player. He's fast, has a cannon for a shot, and has a good ability to hold the ball up. If Cooper or Martins can't go I'd expect him to be in the mix to get a start.

Chad Barrett - You thought Cooper was our aerial threat bruiser striker? Nope...that would be Chad Barrett. Barrett is merciless going for the ball. He's not the most talented player, but he knows how to use his body to his advantage.

David Estrada - He, Like Lamar Neagle, is another one of those Midfielder/Striker Hybrids. He can play either outwide or up top, but he has been most successful up top for the club. Estrada is a quick player, but lacks size. He is a work horse though. Going 90 is no problem for him....he can score goals too. Has a Sounders hat trick under his belt.

Eriq Zavaleta - At first the Sounders werent sure whether to play Zavaleta at CB or ST....well Striker is the way they went, and then they acquired a bunch of other strikers. Zavaleta looked to be the odd man out, but the club still wants to see how he develops so they have sent him on loan to Chivas USA for the season. Hopefully he gets some time with the Goats and Mauro can serve him some goals.

This roster is NOT final, and its possible we add another player or two in the coming days.

Anybody got any questions for me?

Agree with most of that assessment other than Zach Scott. Was good on his day but is a complete liability now and should not be on this roster. He definitely should never play anywhere other than central defence as he is slower than a week in jail. Even at CB he got burned last season by anyone with speed.

Traore can have good games but can be a liability other games. Sometimes moments of brilliance then stupidity in the same game. Sums up his career to date but he can do okay as a back up.

I'm excited to see Frei and Remick play. There was a lot of talk about Frie moving to europe before his ACL injury. The Sounders so far have been lucky to have able goal keepers. Remick looked good in preseason (which means nothing) but he'll definitely get playing time as Gonzalez seems to have spells in the season when he is out.

I don't get what Estrada brings to Seattle. He is pacey and that's about it. At least Neagle got some important goals last year and done well filling in when Johnson and Martins were out, even scoring from left mid. I remember Estrada for that hatrick and that's about it.

This is a big year for Dempsey. He was poor last season and part of that was due to unrealistic expectations. I wish he didn't play in the EPL this off season. I doubt he was going to stay sharp playing in a struggling Fulham team (seriously- I understand Beckham going to Milan in past offseasons and even Donovan going to Everton as they above mid table as the standard is higher, but Fulham aren't much higher than the Sounders when it comes to standards) and will be burned out by the end of the MLS season given he had no rest in the off season and the world cup. At his age, recovery will take longer. I'm starting to worry this move could be a bust. Would rather have had Michael Bradley.

The world cup shouldn't hurt the Sounders this year as i'm guessing only Dempsey and Evans will be away for it. I felt US call ups disrupted the Sounders last year with Johnson, Dempsey, Evans being called up and the injury at the time to Martins.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":28mls3iv said:
Sounders signed Trailist Michael Azira today. http://www.sounderatheart.com/2014/3/6/ ... hael-azira

Sigi Defends Dempsey: "He's under a lot of pressure, and I think everyone needs to back off. ... It's unfair."

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/soundersf ... ittle-bit/

Dempsey has been playing like a muppet.. i've been more invested in picking up dog crap from my yard then he was in yesterdays match with the Ukraine. he needs a pull

anyways Smurf.. i can no longer support the Sounders (atleast next weekend) as my club is now affiliated with Sporting. we might take my 14s down for a scrimmage and take in the match however

http://www.stcroixsoccer.org/

sorry

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2v3et0hi said:
Smurf":2v3et0hi said:
Sounders signed Trailist Michael Azira today. http://www.sounderatheart.com/2014/3/6/ ... hael-azira

Sigi Defends Dempsey: "He's under a lot of pressure, and I think everyone needs to back off. ... It's unfair."

Dempsey has been playing like a muppet.. i've been more invested in picking up dog crap from my yard then he was in yesterdays match with the Ukraine. he needs a pull

anyways Smurf.. i can no longer support the Sounders (atleast next weekend) as my club is now affiliated with Sporting. we might take my 14s down for a scrimmage and take in the match however

sorry

so you're a bandwagoner....just ditching your club and picking up the latest one to win the championship eh?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":3dywcpgo said:
Uncle Si":3dywcpgo said:
Smurf":3dywcpgo said:

sorry

so you're a bandwagoner....just ditching your club and picking up the latest one to win the championship eh?

I mean I kinda work for them now

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1dnv6bmo said:
I mean I kinda work for them now

So? You don't have to be a fan of what you work for....like it helps....but its not necessary.

Latest posts