Sounders Season Thread ***YEDLIN SOLD***

SeatownJay

Reaction score
razgriz737":3qr5i3vr said:
I'm liking Frei so far.
He had a couple of spills but that could be because of the rain. There appeared to be some miscommunication between all the new players at times, too. Still, it's nice to start the season with a win. Fifth time Seattle has scored the game winner in stoppage time against Sporting KC according to the announcers.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I liked what I saw today, given that Kansas are the champions. First games are always scrappy affairs. I think if Pappa, Evans, Ozzie and Dempsey can have a consistent run together we'll be fine. Wasn't Neagles best game but I know what he is capable of. If Dempsey starts I would like to see Evans on the right.

Goals will come eventually even if Kenny Cooper is a big carthorse.

Frei had some shaky moments but with a run of clean sheets under his belt he'll be fine. Remick did fine and seems to be the future at left back.

Consistency is key. Need a solid starting eleven week in and out. No more tinkering like last season where Andy Rose will suddenly get thrown in for a run of games. This caused a lack of chemistry and made us look like a team of individuals last year. Only change the line up if players are out or tired.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
75th minute...we had just finished singing Sounders Til I Die. I turn and look at my best friend and say: "I just realized we are playing Kansas City. Nothing's going to happen til late, and then we'll win in stoppage time."

Its just history.

Mike Fucito, Jeff Parke, Lamar Neagle (Mauro Rosales tied it minutes earlier), Djimi Traore and now Chad Barrett.

We've done it to that club 5 times in the last 4 seasons.

Simply awesome.

Stefan Frei played exactly like I expect. Strong hands, push a lot of ball wide.

Yedlin for me was the best player on the pitch today. The kid is incredible. His first touch let him down a few times but other than that he was magnificent.

Marshall and Traore had good chemistry. Traore covered for Marshall and allowed Marshall to be aggressive and make plays on the ball.

Remick was solid. Did pretty well for his first start. Didn't make too many mistakes.

Thought we were decent in the midfield. Pappa, Evans and Alonso clearly weren't on the same page at times. But that'll come with time.

Cooper showed some promise to me. He took chances I want a striker to take.

Dempsey will be fine. He's gonna start coming into it here in the next game or 2.

Really liked what I saw from Okoli. Want to see more. Good things happen when he's on the pitch.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Good to start with a win. Just an observation of Obafemi Martins. It seems that he tends to ball watch too much. Unless the ball is kicked right to him, he doesn't seem to run to the ball. It's got to be placed on a silver platter for him. I've noticed this repeatedly in his game, last season and also the first game this season. I guess it may be his style but when you Neagle chase after everything, you wish others would do that too. I wish Martins' had Neagle's hustle or Neagle had Martins' talent.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2hvywv3g said:
Good to start with a win. Just an observation of Obafemi Martins. It seems that he tends to ball watch too much. Unless the ball is kicked right to him, he doesn't seem to run to the ball. It's got to be placed on a silver platter for him. I've noticed this repeatedly in his game, last season and also the first game this season. I guess it may be his style but when you Neagle chase after everything, you wish others would do that too. I wish Martins' had Neagle's hustle or Neagle had Martins' talent.

I disagree with your assessment almost entirely. I would almost go as far as to commend Martins for the balls he chases....especially defensively.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Agreed Smurf. That comment was so off-base that I declined to reply. Weird to accuse Martins of not running to a ball.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Smurf":1ezoodox said:
hawkfan68":1ezoodox said:

I disagree with your assessment almost entirely. I would almost go as far as to commend Martins for the balls he chases....especially defensively.

I rewatched the game again. I don't know what I saw the first time but I was off about Martins. There are times where he seems showing little effort but not as much as I made it out to be. He's a very good player, no doubt about it. Thanks Smurf and Curry for setting me straight :)

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":36qkhta9 said:
Smurf":36qkhta9 said:
hawkfan68":36qkhta9 said:

I rewatched the game again. I don't know what I saw the first time but I was off about Martins. There are times where he seems showing little effort but not as much as I made it out to be. He's a very good player, no doubt about it. Thanks Smurf and Curry for setting me straight :)

lol. When it comes to the Sounders I have no issues calling people out when they're wrong. :p

As I hope you would do to me as well.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Sounders signed Seattle Native, Former USL Sounder and MLS Veteran Cam Weaver today.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Seattle's a hot mess today. Miscommunication, lazy passing, unforced errors, and it looks like they have the same problem that's plagued them for a while, the inability to create and/or finish scoring chances.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Marco Pappa had a horrible game.

Evans wasn't great before his injury.

Neagle only played the second half.

The midfield was atrocious that first half. It's their fault they were down 2-0 at half.

The team came out fighting in the second half though. They went after it and started making some things happen. Oba and Clint started to combine well. Yedlin was AGAIN our best man on the pitch. Remick was good in the attack, was shaky in defense today.

Pineda played well IMO for coming on for Evans. If Evans can't go in Montreal, Pineda should be able to step in.

In Montreal I think Pappa gets dropped from the 11 in favor of Kenny Cooper.

I think we'll see something like this:

-----------------Frei---------------
Yedlin----Traore-----Marshall----Remick
---------------Alonso---------------
Neagle---------Pineda----------Cooper
---------------Dempsey--------------
---------------Martins---------------

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Why wouldn't Dempsey play? And Kenny Cooper is an out and out center striker in the mold of Altidore. He shouldn't play out wide especially in a system as you have in which he needs to protect an outside back.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3hrr688b said:
Why wouldn't Dempsey play? And Kenny Cooper is an out and out center striker in the mold of Altidore. He shouldn't play out wide especially in a system as you have in which he needs to protect an outside back.

My mistake. Dempsey is missing. Only listed 10.

Also, Kenny Cooper has been put out wide in both matches thus far. It looks like thats how Sigi is using him, for now.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":33deuoqv said:
Uncle Si":33deuoqv said:

Also, Kenny Cooper has been put out wide in both matches thus far. It looks like thats how Sigi is using him, for now.

Just saying that's a mistake...if he's on the field it should be above Dempsey

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2dyyhqqt said:
Smurf":2dyyhqqt said:
Uncle Si":2dyyhqqt said:

Just saying that's a mistake...if he's on the field it should be above Dempsey

I actually like what I have seen from him out wide. He's got really good feet for a big man.

He and Barrett have both been successful when put in those positions. Despite them being outside their perceived best roles.

Latest posts