I know he is much maligned on here

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
bellingerga":1ovzku6z said:
KCHawkGirl":1ovzku6z said:
Sports Hernia":1ovzku6z said:
He'll be a jag or a ninnie by week 1
Monumentaly stupid thinking in my opinion, But shortsighted thinking is legal in this country, in fact I would argue it's the expected baseline.

KCHawkGirl you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or are you always this horrible?
Just trying to convey he isn't as bad as some people think. Probably doesn't make this team but he will make another team and probably be a starter. This kind of thing is the downside of being a fan of an elite team. I just don't like the tone of the criticism of him some are taking.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Maybe on another team Guy would be safe, but this team is just too stacked with quality DB's for him to make the squad I think.

IMO he shouldn't still be making the same mistakes in year #2. If you didn't know him, you'd think he was a rookie. Still looks like the game is moving too fast for Guy to catch up.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I actually think Maragos will be the odd man out. His veteran minimum is too much to pay for a special teams guy. With all the other DBs that have more potential, it would a waste of money to keep him.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
rideaducati":2c04jfko said:
I actually think Maragos will be the odd man out. His veteran minimum is too much to pay for a special teams guy. With all the other DBs that have more potential, it would a waste of money to keep him.

He's the only FS behind Earl Thomas though and he's solid.

McGruff

Reaction score
Guy's game is kinda like Loutulelie's game . . . Looks good in preseason because it suits individual effort. Reckless, out of control, big plays that stand out . . . But also selfish. A guy who will be out of position too often, and whose stupid penalties, including needless celebrations of the self, will get the team in trouble.

Yesterday was no different. He was fortunate that his reckless play led him into plays rather than past them, but he was still reckless and selfish. And frankly, he got a lot of credit on the broadcast for mop up tackles that other players made the play.

Hawks46

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1qm7na5t said:
chris98251":1qm7na5t said:
vin.couve12":1qm7na5t said:
Looked like the primary backup SS tonight especially. Even did his Pred thing on the field after that dumpoff. I thought he looked like he was quite a bit better than Johnson tonight, who looked a little slow and took a bad angle on Pryor especially. Speed is one thing, but the misjudged angle was a big no no, IMO.

Have you tried to antisipate the angle on a guy that runs a 4.3 40.
Yes, in fact, I have. Angle becomes exponentially more important. Especially with the sideline as the extra defender.

Incorrect. You don't want to let a guy with speed get outside of you, as he'll do what Pryor did, then get out of bounds without getting touched. You play a sideline angle to force him back inside to your own pursuit. Johnson looked like he took a poor angle because he misjudged Pryor's speed, but in that case you don't use the sideline as a defender with that much field to play with.

You have to force him back inside where more guys can get to him. NEVER let speed get outside of you. The defense is weakest there.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
I'm not going to comment on the quality or precision of his play, but Guy definitely popped on the field tonight. He seemed to be everywhere. There was one sequence where he was in the mix every single play for about six or seven plays in a row. Sure he was probably out of position for some of those plays, and might have been late on some of those plays, but he gets to the football with energy every time.

He may very well not stick on our roster but he will show up on someone else's, and I give him a good chance of being a starter somewhere if he continues to develop.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Hawks46":2rxqw2um said:
vin.couve12":2rxqw2um said:
chris98251":2rxqw2um said:
Have you tried to antisipate the angle on a guy that runs a 4.3 40.
Yes, in fact, I have. Angle becomes exponentially more important. Especially with the sideline as the extra defender.

Incorrect. You don't want to let a guy with speed get outside of you, as he'll do what Pryor did, then get out of bounds without getting touched. You play a sideline angle to force him back inside to your own pursuit. Johnson looked like he took a poor angle because he misjudged Pryor's speed, but in that case you don't use the sideline as a defender with that much field to play with.

You have to force him back inside where more guys can get to him. NEVER let speed get outside of you. The defense is weakest there.
Nice try, but you don't seem to be following along with what actually happened. He had the sideline and still let him get around and outside of him. You sure you just don't want to argue about something?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The weird part is why everyone won't just give him credit for a good game.

Here is the deal, I believe he was something like a 5th or 6th round pick. We have had him for 2 years?

During that time he was on the PS, which means he was working hard or they wouldn't keep him and it means that his effort was making our other players better. He has been a Seahawk for us, worked hard for us and should get some credit for that.

Yes, he had a few plays in camp that were reckless and maybe even dirty. But it is clear that he is still finding himself and so to compensate is a little bit exuberant. And that is where 30% of this weird hate comes from, people don't like him because he looks awkward on some backstage video thing.

But he hasn't cost us anything in games that any of our other backups haven't, he made a lot of plays in that last game and deserves credit for it.

I just find it odd that people want him to play better and then when he does, they won't even give him credit for it. They have their mind made up about the guy and like to throw stones at him for really no reason other than to be a whipping post. He isn't Chris #*(@#$ Massey out there, he is a kid that was on the PS that is trying his best to make a team that is so talented at his position he has little shot. But the "I can't wait for that guy to be gone" stuff is frankly weird.

C-Dub

Reaction score
hawkfan68":d65i7qqu said:
It's a numbers game and Guy makes stupid mistakes each time. He did another one on ST tonight. He's just not bright enough to "get it".
Listening to him talk, you can also see he's not that bright. He played better, but I don't see how he can make the team with the talent in the secondary.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2f8t204v said:
Chill out, KCFakegirl. Hernia might have been a bit curt, but ...... i don't think it was necessarily an indictment of Guy's play necesarily, as much as it was an acknowledgement that he's likely to be the odd man out this season and will end up on another team.

You Go, Girl!!

vin.couve12

Reaction score
The reaction to this is.....interesting. It really has much to do with the vast majority of the human population having the propensity to accept what is considered a known vs actually having to review empirical evidence and have to formulate an analysis.

There's always the next game, people.

12thMan1

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":18i3dj4z said:
Sports Hernia":18i3dj4z said:
He'll be a jag or a ninnie by week 1
Monumentaly stupid thinking in my opinion, But shortsighted thinking is legal in this country, in fact I would argue it's the expected baseline.

Would you have preferred the poster to have written, " In my humble opinion, Winston really hasn't shown enough improvement to warrant a roster spot this year." "A trend that's been occuring this year (though I'm sure it's more of a coincidence and/or because of talent evaluation) are ex Seahawk players being claimed by the Jacksonville Jaguars or the San Francisco 49ers.

Just because the execution of their post may be in poor taste, doesn't mean that the idea behind it is shortsided or stupid.

warden

Reaction score
chris98251":2iqwfqak said:
we don't know Jerons first responsibility, .

Someone else gets it

We don't know what his assignment is.

warden

Reaction score
Guy had a good game last night. He took full advantage with his last opportunity this preseason.

Will he make the team? Well that depends on what the Special teams coach has to say.

seacat1

Reaction score
UGotHawked":1p4vegzk said:
But I have liked what I have seen from Winston Guy the past two games. Just sayin.

I believe given a chance people would learn to like Winston! He can play at this level the only question is will it be with this team.

OP
OP
U

UGotHawked

Reaction score
C-Dub":3iuy7ls8 said:
hawkfan68":3iuy7ls8 said:
It's a numbers game and Guy makes stupid mistakes each time. He did another one on ST tonight. He's just not bright enough to "get it".
Listening to him talk, you can also see he's not that bright. He played better, but I don't see how he can make the team with the talent in the secondary.

Because great football players are all really articulate and well spoken. I'm not sure that I am willing to make a judgement on the guy's football intelligence based on the way he talks. I'm just not that talented.

I guess I just disagree with most here. We are not talking about a starter, but a backup SS to Kam. Me personally, I would rather have the guy who is more talented and coach him up, than a guy who gets left wheezing an athletic QB's dust on two separate plays. I just hope people are as tolerant if Jeron is in the game when SEA sees Cam Newton or Kapersnacks twice. :roll: