I know he is much maligned on here

hawkfan68

Reaction score
UGotHawked":3m9360ry said:
C-Dub":3m9360ry said:
hawkfan68":3m9360ry said:
It's a numbers game and Guy makes stupid mistakes each time. He did another one on ST tonight. He's just not bright enough to "get it".
Listening to him talk, you can also see he's not that bright. He played better, but I don't see how he can make the team with the talent in the secondary.

Because great football players are all really articulate and well spoken. I'm not sure that I am willing to make a judgement on the guy's football intelligence based on the way he talks. I'm just not that talented.

I guess I just disagree with most here. We are not talking about a starter, but a backup SS to Kam. Me personally, I would rather have the guy who is more talented and coach him up, than a guy who gets left wheezing an athletic QB's dust on two separate plays. I just hope people are as tolerant if Jeron is in the game when SEA sees Cam Newton or Kapersnacks twice. :roll:

Jeron played against Newton and Kaepernick last year. He didn't seem to have a problem. Jeron doesn't celebrate a routine play like it was the biggest thing to ever have happened. Guy seems to think making a simple tackle is the cause for a huge celebration. Act like you've been there before. As for stupid penalties, Guy is sure to make at least one a game. He's like Breno on defense and special teams. It's over-aggression and he's doing it in practice too. Somebody valuable will get hurt because of his recklessness. That's not a good thing. Dude needs to learn to control himself better. He is a good player, no doubt.

chris98251

Reaction score
UGotHawked":1tdesul7 said:
C-Dub":1tdesul7 said:
hawkfan68":1tdesul7 said:
It's a numbers game and Guy makes stupid mistakes each time. He did another one on ST tonight. He's just not bright enough to "get it".
Listening to him talk, you can also see he's not that bright. He played better, but I don't see how he can make the team with the talent in the secondary.

Because great football players are all really articulate and well spoken. I'm not sure that I am willing to make a judgement on the guy's football intelligence based on the way he talks. I'm just not that talented.

I guess I just disagree with most here. We are not talking about a starter, but a backup SS to Kam. Me personally, I would rather have the guy who is more talented and coach him up, than a guy who gets left wheezing an athletic QB's dust on two separate plays. I just hope people are as tolerant if Jeron is in the game when SEA sees Cam Newton or Kapersnacks twice. :roll:

Your making a judgement on Johnson without watching Guy having the same chance, Johnson may have missed, but given Guys record of going for the big score or hit I would think he may over commit and completly take him self out of the play hoping for a highlight hit,Johnson missed but then again Pryor has a whole scrapebook of making guys miss. I'll take smarter and someone that will learn or practice contain while waiting for help to arrive then someone that loves to take chances hoping that he makes the play, which is how I see Guy right now, not saying he can't improve, but he's record to date doesn't imply thats his style.

HawkWow

Reaction score
UGotHawked":1ra0f5qj said:
C-Dub":1ra0f5qj said:
hawkfan68":1ra0f5qj said:

...and speaking of Cam. I'd like Winston Guy a lot more if he didn't celebrate every half tackle like he was Superman. The dude is fighting for a roster spot but conducts himself like he's the second coming of Ray Lewis. Like Barry Sanders once said "act like you've been there before".

I will credit him with some good plays this pre-season and trust the FO to make the right call. I'm fine with or without him.

HawkWow

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3bb57jc2 said:
Chill out, KCFakegirl. Hernia might have been a bit curt, but his point is a very valid one. Guy will likely be cut and will likely end up on one of those two teams, as SF has a need at the position, and the Jags have our old D-coordinator who seems to like snapping up our cast-offs. i don't think it was necessarily an indictment of Guy's play necesarily, as much as it was an acknowledgement that he's likely to be the odd man out this season and will end up on another team.

...."frosting a cake with a paper knife". ;)

Latest posts