M's Off season, 2017-2018

Msfann

Reaction score
Edgar came 12 votes short of making it into the hall of fame. So Mariner like.

There's always next year! (The Mariner motto)

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Soooo the rotation is Paxton, Felix, Leake, Miranda, Gonzalez/Erasmo????

Ughhh Cleveland Browns of baseball is right.

sutz

Reaction score
Just an update on the M's batting order from the Times.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mar ... t-of-runs/

Looking for the strength of the Mariners as they head into the 2018 season, manager Scott Servais believes it's a deeper, more athletic lineup that is capable of scoring bunches of runs.

For fans who love to inspect, dissect and then project what the Mariners’ starting lineup and daily batting order should be, the 2018 season might bring a higher level of enjoyment than in past years.

Unlike in seasons past when the lineup resembled a lumbering slow-pitch softball team with a bunch of all-or-nothing elephants swinging for the fences or a punchless group that lacked power with an alarmingly high strike-out rate, this current team might have one of the most versatile, balanced and deep lineups to be written on Seattle’s daily lineup card in quite a while.

--snip--

Let’s give it a shot:

1. Dee Gordon, CF
2. Jean Segura, SS
3. Robinson Cano, 2B
4. Nelson Cruz, DH
5. Kyle Seager, 3B
6. Ryon Healy, 1B
7. Mike Zunino, C
8. Mitch Haniger, RF
9. Ben Gamel/Guillermo Heredia LF

Under the concept that they did fairly well when they scored 4 or more runs per game, boosting the offensive output should help.

Still fighting that same lineup of pitchers, though and that could be a problem.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
sutz":357t9eeq said:

Looking for the strength of the Mariners as they head into the 2018 season, manager Scott Servais believes it's a deeper, more athletic lineup that is capable of scoring bunches of runs.

For fans who love to inspect, dissect and then project what the Mariners’ starting lineup and daily batting order should be, the 2018 season might bring a higher level of enjoyment than in past years.

Unlike in seasons past when the lineup resembled a lumbering slow-pitch softball team with a bunch of all-or-nothing elephants swinging for the fences or a punchless group that lacked power with an alarmingly high strike-out rate, this current team might have one of the most versatile, balanced and deep lineups to be written on Seattle’s daily lineup card in quite a while.

--snip--

Let’s give it a shot:

1. Dee Gordon, CF
2. Jean Segura, SS
3. Robinson Cano, 2B
4. Nelson Cruz, DH
5. Kyle Seager, 3B
6. Ryon Healy, 1B
7. Mike Zunino, C
8. Mitch Haniger, RF

Under the concept that they did fairly well when they scored 4 or more runs per game, boosting the offensive output should help.

Still fighting that same lineup of pitchers, though and that could be a problem.

We shouldn't have any problems scoring, just hope Seager turns it around.

sutz

Reaction score
Bobblehead":890bliry said:
sutz":890bliry said:

--snip--

Let’s give it a shot:

1. Dee Gordon, CF
2. Jean Segura, SS
3. Robinson Cano, 2B
4. Nelson Cruz, DH
5. Kyle Seager, 3B
6. Ryon Healy, 1B
7. Mike Zunino, C
8. Mitch Haniger, RF

We shouldn't have any problems scoring, just hope Seager turns it around.
Looks like they're working on it, and maybe the lineup will help him out.

Seager’s season — a .251 batting average, a .773 OPS, 33 doubles, 27 homers and 88 RBI — is something most players would cherish. But to him, it wasn’t good enough.

“It had its ups and downs,” he said. “Offensively it wasn’t as good. I never really got into a good rhythm that I usually have. I felt like I was battling my swing all year. I hold myself to a higher standard.”

Servais expects Seager to come in quite motivated following last season.

“I think he was a little disappointed,” Servais said. “We talked to Kyle a lot this off-season, he is determined to get back and to get back on top of his game. It wasn’t a typical Kyle Seager year and we all want to see it back, again nobody more than himself and he’s working his tail off to make sure that happens.”

The biggest separator in the Mariners’ offensive success from good to great could be the hitters following Seager. All of them are relatively young and have shown the potential to be contributors,

Healy, Haniger, Zunino and the combination of Gamel and Heredia have had stretches of success in their brief careers. But will it continue?
Hopefully, this gets better. The last few years it has seemed we had the big three, and a bunch of guys hovering around the Mendoza line. With more average ML hitters on the roster, the big 3 get even more effective. The speed on the bases looks like fun stuff too.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Q13FOX/status/962938089474752513[/tweet]

Pitchers and catchers report to Mariners Spring Training this week, and there will be some key players missing: Specifically, all the free agent starters still available that the M’s refuse to sign!

And while I hope their projected starting rotation works out, it’s not hard to understand why so many fans are skeptical that it will.

Let’s take a look: By my count, right now, the Mariners have one to two potential aces in this group – James Paxton and Felix Hernandez. They’re followed by Mike Leake, Erasmo Ramirez, Marco Gonzales, with Ariel Miranda and Andrew Moore waiting in the wings. Young, talented guys who have potential no-doubt.

But “potential” doesn’t fly here anymore. “Potential” wore out its welcome five, ten years ago. And whether general manager Jerry Dipoto wants to acknowledge that, he’s not getting a pass from most fans, when there’s a wealth of starting pitching talent still available on the free agent market.

Sure, Yu Darvish just signed a massive deal with the Cubs. But there are a number of pitchers still available, from Jake Arrieta to Alex Cobb and Lance Lynn, still seeking deals with new teams. And frankly, the lack of interest from a Mariners team that says it’s planning on contending this season is downright maddening.

Again, here’s what Dipoto had to say about their decision to stick with who they’ve got:
“We are doing the best we can to develop our system, not to clog it,” Dipoto said. “Could we go out and sign a free agent that would be better than our current fifth starter? Absolutely. Would that be the best thing for the present of the Mariners? Maybe. Would that be the best thing for the wider lens – for the present and future – of the Mariners? Probably not.”

:34853_doh:

http://q13fox.com/2018/02/11/commentary ... ce=twitter

dadof3

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":bpplkmys said:

Pitchers and catchers report to Mariners Spring Training this week, and there will be some key players missing: Specifically, all the free agent starters still available that the M’s refuse to sign!

And while I hope their projected starting rotation works out, it’s not hard to understand why so many fans are skeptical that it will.

Let’s take a look: By my count, right now, the Mariners have one to two potential aces in this group – James Paxton and Felix Hernandez. They’re followed by Mike Leake, Erasmo Ramirez, Marco Gonzales, with Ariel Miranda and Andrew Moore waiting in the wings. Young, talented guys who have potential no-doubt.

But “potential” doesn’t fly here anymore. “Potential” wore out its welcome five, ten years ago. And whether general manager Jerry Dipoto wants to acknowledge that, he’s not getting a pass from most fans, when there’s a wealth of starting pitching talent still available on the free agent market.

Sure, Yu Darvish just signed a massive deal with the Cubs. But there are a number of pitchers still available, from Jake Arrieta to Alex Cobb and Lance Lynn, still seeking deals with new teams. And frankly, the lack of interest from a Mariners team that says it’s planning on contending this season is downright maddening.

Again, here’s what Dipoto had to say about their decision to stick with who they’ve got:
“We are doing the best we can to develop our system, not to clog it,” Dipoto said. “Could we go out and sign a free agent that would be better than our current fifth starter? Absolutely. Would that be the best thing for the present of the Mariners? Maybe. Would that be the best thing for the wider lens – for the present and future – of the Mariners? Probably not.”

This is why they're a AAAA team. I'll support them because I'm a fan, but I've given up having any expectations for them. My boys are freshmen in high school and the Mariners have never been in the playoffs as long as they've been alive. But hey, maybe there will be a bobble head of a 1995 player this year

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
dadof3":7uexd7gv said:
KitsapGuy":7uexd7gv said:

This is why they're a AAAA team. I'll support them because I'm a fan, but I've given up having any expectations for them. My boys are freshmen in high school and the Mariners have never been in the playoffs as long as they've been alive. But hey, maybe there will be a bobble head of a 1995 player this year
Don’t have any kids but nephew is a sophomore in Highschool and he’s never seen a mariners playoff game. Luckily for him the Hawks have played in 3 superbowls in his lifetime.
I’m in the same boat as you, I’ve always loved the game of baseball, even when the ownership is Gawd awful.

Aaron Levine is the man though, he’s not afraid to call out the local teams when they are lackluster and don’t have a commitment to winning, and conversely praise them when they make the right and proper moves to win it all.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
With Cano now 35, 36 in October does anyone think the signing was a bust, especially now he's probably on the decline and they still need to pay him?

I think he's a great player but given the amount of salary he gets we've no play off appearances to show for it. I wonder at points if his ridiculous salary could have been spent on other parts of the team to get us over the hump such as pitching last year or paying a few more hitters like Trumbo for his bats?

I think he's been good for the Mariners but the money spent looks a bit silly, for what was paid I would have thought he would have inspired the Mariners on to the play offs and put the club on his back.

I feel like Cruz has been the better signing overall.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Cruz has no defense though. M's probably over paid a little too much for Cano but the idea at the time of having Felix and Cano in their primes was exciting.

sutz

Reaction score
Crizilla":1f579xl6 said:
Cruz has no defense though. M's probably over paid a little too much for Cano but the idea at the time of having Felix and Cano in their primes was exciting.
Well, with no WBC to throw his arm out in March, maybe we'll get Felix at 80% or so. Cano was maybe slowed by injury last season (another WBC player), but he's still a front line 2d baseman and a presence at the plate. I'm happy with Cruz as a DH and (very) occasional OF. Still very productive at the plate.

Yeah, window is closing, it would seem, but the offensive additions this off-season should help. Looks like DiPoto and Servais are betting that last year's injury avalanche to the pitching staff was an anomoly. I hope they're right. Then again, maybe they're just betting we can make it to the trade deadline with a decent record and then pick up a key player or two. It almost worked last year, but the overuse and instability in the pitching staff had us fading in Sept.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Crizilla":2p0ej6kg said:

I agree at the time there was a buzz about it. Now though there has to be a bit of disappointment that we got no play offs. Both his and Felix contracts are going to look bad soon. So is Pujols contract at the Angels, but they at least made the play offs a couple of times. Still nowhere near as bad as Josh Hamilton's contract at the time.

massari

Reaction score
sutz":2cat16yw said:
Yeah, window is closing, it would seem, but the offensive additions this off-season should help. Looks like DiPoto and Servais are betting that last year's injury avalanche to the pitching staff was an anomoly. I hope they're right. Then again, maybe they're just betting we can make it to the trade deadline with a decent record and then pick up a key player or two. It almost worked last year, but the overuse and instability in the pitching staff had us fading in Sept.
Problem with that they've already got one of the shallowest pool of prospects and would have to give up up more than one to get anything decent in return.

I remember reading that the M's 10th rated prospect wouldn't even be in the top 30 for a lot of teams.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Crizilla":1yfapaj8 said:
That is a problem..
People get enamored with superstar players in sports and break the bank for them
but fail to remember there are many parts to a team.
So you overpay,get weak in other areas and gain little most of the time.
Being excited didn't work for the Angels right?(Pujols/Trout)

Crizilla

Reaction score
IndyHawk":28cm61t5 said:
Crizilla":28cm61t5 said:
That is a problem..
People get enamored with superstar players in sports and break the bank for them
but fail to remember there are many parts to a team.
So you overpay,get weak in other areas and gain little most of the time.
Being excited didn't work for the Angels right?(Pujols/Trout)

Correct. You need a team to win titles.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jerry Dipoto has done a horrible job in fixing the starting pitching. This was the Achilles heel last year and it's not improved in the off season. Good pitching beats hitting any day of the week. Unfortunately, the M's don't have good pitching. They'll probably score 8 runs each game but still lose. I still believe they should trade Seager for a bonafide starter. It won't happen but it should.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1uhxnlyt said:
Jerry Dipoto has done a horrible job in fixing the starting pitching. This was the Achilles heel last year and it's not improved in the off season. Good pitching beats hitting any day of the week. Unfortunately, the M's don't have good pitching. They'll probably score 8 runs each game but still lose. I still believe they should trade Seager for a bonafide starter. It won't happen but it should.

Move that kid they just drafted to 3rd. maybe.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawkfan68":9r3abhj5 said:
Agree 100%. Funny thing is though there is still quality FA starting pitching out there if they want to pay for it.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1gn7nbcc said:
hawkfan68":1gn7nbcc said:
Agree 100%. Funny thing is though there is still quality FA starting pitching out there if they want to pay for it.
Man, I know. It's pretty weird. It's almost like Dipoto has no interest in improving the worst aspect of the team from last year. It's pretty apparent that Dipoto values bats > quality arms, but at some point you HAVE to make an effort in the arms department.

Like hawkfan68 said, he's really done a terrible job with the starting pitching since he's been here. Nay, the team as a whole. He's wheeled and dealed so much and has ended up on the losing end far too much for his tenure to be considered a success. I'm still excited for the season though.