This is why bitching about the refs is a bad idea

RedAlice

Reaction score
From Fisher:

Penalty No. 1: A roughing the passer call against Eugene Sims late in the second quarter, a play in which referee Clete Blakeman explained Sims delivered a blow to the head.

Replays showed that Sims’ left hand hit Tony Romo’s shoulder, and then, as he was falling over a Dallas blocker, it barely grazed the Dallas quarterback’s helmet.

The NFL rule book states that there has to be forcible contact to the head for there to be a penalty. Former NFL director of officiating Mike Pereira, now a Fox television analyst, was brought into the telecast to assess the call. He said there was not enough contact, and it should not have been a penalty.

The result of the drive was a Dan Bailey field goal to cut the Rams lead to 21-10 at the half. Without the penalty, the Cowboys are left facing a third-and-7 from the St. Louis 37, and maybe they don’t kick a field goal.

• Penalty No. 2: An offensive holding call against wide receiver Kenny Britt late in the third quarter on a running play by Trey Watts.

“I didn’t think that was a foul. The (defender) fell down,” Fisher said.

Instead of having a second-and-3 situation from the Dallas 10, the Rams were pushed back to their 17 (on a spot foul), and settled for a Greg Zuerlein field goal.

• Penalty No. 3: Late in the fourth quarter, Sims was called for holding on a play in which he sacked Romo for an 11-yard loss to the Dallas 9. Blakeman’s crew ruled that Sims had impeded Dallas wide receiver Terrance Williams, who was in motion and hadn’t reached the line of scrimmage, from running a pass route.

Both Fox analysts working the game —Daryl Johnston (a former Cowboy) and Tony Siragusa — strongly stated that it shouldn’t have been a penalty, and that it was simply a great play by Sims. Johnston even said he would coach a defensive end to handle the play exactly the same way because you wouldn’t be sure if Williams was blocking or going out on a pattern.

“The Eugene Sims (holding) play is not a foul,” Fisher said. “It was a huge play. We have a sack and we have a third-and-21. If we create an incomplete pass (on the next play), they’re punting out of the end zone. At that time in the game, it’s a huge field-position swing. That’s an incorrect call.”

At the time, the Rams trailed 34-31 with 2 minutes 24 seconds left to play. They lost a potential 40 yards in field position as a result of the call, and also had to burn their final two timeouts.

• Penalty No. 4: The Rams got the ball back four plays later at their 24 on a Chris Jones punt. But Janoris Jenkins was called for holding on the play, and the Rams took over at their 14 yard after the penalty yardage was stepped off.

“And there’s no foul there in my opinion,” Fisher said. “That’s a huge field position swing considering we started that drive on the 14-yard line. So I’m disappointed in that.”

In summary, Fisher added: “But to answer you question — the disparity? I don’t know. In my opinion, there were a dozen or so, maybe more, offensive holds that weren’t called (against) the Cowboys.”

He said defensive tackle Kendall Langford was pulled down by a Dallas blocker on the 68-yard touchdown pass from Romo to Dez Bryant early in the third quarter. But there was no call. In fact, Fisher said there were touchdowns against Tampa Bay and Minnesota that should’ve been called back because of penalties that weren’t called — a false start that wasn’t called against the Buccaneers and a holding call that wasn’t made against Minnesota.

“So technically, we’ve had three touchdowns scored against us that were improperly officiated,” Fisher said.

so, bitching against refs, bad idea? well, of course. Rams lost that game, no one to blame other than them. but this is interesting for going forward. No doubt.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Half their posters didn't know that one knee = 2 feet? Unbelievable....

.....okay actually pretty believable.

RedAlice

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":38qx4k3e said:
I am literally stupider for having read through much of that thread. Thanks, Kpak. I hate you. :|

(Not allowed) oh, is this not the shack?

CANHawk

Reaction score
Wow. That is an insane amount of football ignorance in one place. And I only read the first page!

Racist nickname football club is the worst. Too bad, I really like Kirk Cousins too.

Brahn

Reaction score
You all want a bad call? Go see that Earl Thomas INT that was nullified for Pass Interference last season when Thomas is 5 yards from the Receiver and never was close enough to even touch him on his route.

rideaducati

Reaction score
CANHawk":3e40zn34 said:
Wow. That is an insane amount of football ignorance in one place. And I only read the first page!

Racist nickname football club is the worst. Too bad, I really like Kirk Cousins too.

Kirk is their best player... they'll get rid of him soon.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
rideaducati":r99qqafm said:
CANHawk":r99qqafm said:

Kirk is their best player... they'll get rid of him soon.

For Kirk's sake, I really hope so. He is such a good kid and a good athlete.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Brahn":qntefpcd said:
You all want a bad call? Go see that Earl Thomas INT that was nullified for Pass Interference last season when Thomas is 5 yards from the Receiver and never was close enough to even touch him on his route.
Mike Carey!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sorry RedAlice, but there is so much Schadenfreude in watching Fisher, who I consider to be Goodell's shill on the rules committee, bitching about enforcement of rules. I guess the tennis balls didn't work?

Bad calls aside, the Rams have one of the most undisciplined teams in the NFL.

Speaking of which, I saw Red Bryant get called for holding behind the LOS once as well. He treated a RB trying to get into a route like a blocker, and got flagged.

mikeak

Reaction score
The one interesting thing is where the OP further down makes the point that commentators say "refs frown upon" rtf on the hit but is it illegal.

I listened to the same thing jacksonville opener. It was a clear NON horse collar. The defender pulled the jersey. Yet the commentators spent about 3 mins explaining why the tackle (that was legal) had the same effect as horse collar which they want to stop blah blah blah blah. They never said - bad call legal tackle. Drove me nuts

BASF

Reaction score
Brahn":1cb9w57e said:

Are you referring to this one:
PIComp zps4ce12755
The defender is not allowed to pull down the jersey of a player who is about to leap to make a catch. It is pass interference.