Despite today's Niner, I still respect the old school

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
While having a fairly strong level of disdain for the current Niner regime, I always have and still remain impressed by the turn around and sustained level of success the Walsh staff brought to that franchise. I remember when they really, truly stunk and were the embarrassment of the Bay area. Even before the 81 season, you could see the turn around under Walsh. For his legacy to be branched out so far is just amazing. The man took lessons from the best and then put his touch on things.

Seeing the whole dynasty "Niner week" on NFLN, I am actually entertained by some of the older games they are televising. Loved the NFCC with Dallas. When you think about it, Montana wasn't more than just a pup himself when they won that year, yet he was as cool as they come. Man that guy was something special as a QB. I forgot how much a beating Solomon took as the feature receiver in those days. They ALWAYS had a strong defense that seemed to be under appreciated because the offense was so good. All of the game coverage is great viewing for us older guys.

It is a lot easier to look at the Niners under that stage, they truly were flat out good and held on to that level of football for longer than anyone else I have ever seen. I have said it before, the 89 Team IMHO was the best team to ever take the field in one season. Funny, the Niners have never won a Super Bowl I didn't want them to win. My how the mighty have fallen.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Man no lie...I loved and still do love those Niners teams. Jerry Rice is still my favorite player of all time.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
I respect the players of that era, and the way they played. But the fans and the Debartolo family can eat a fat jimmy, the lot of them.

Marvin49

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":ykeff48x said:
While having a fairly strong level of disdain for the current Niner regime, I always have and still remain impressed by the turn around and sustained level of success the Walsh staff brought to that franchise. I remember when they really, truly stunk and were the embarrassment of the Bay area. Even before the 81 season, you could see the turn around under Walsh. For his legacy to be branched out so far is just amazing. The man took lessons from the best and then put his touch on things.

Seeing the whole dynasty "Niner week" on NFLN, I am actually entertained by some of the older games they are televising. Loved the NFCC with Dallas. When you think about it, Montana wasn't more than just a pup himself when they won that year, yet he was as cool as they come. Man that guy was something special as a QB. I forgot how much a beating Solomon took as the feature receiver in those days. They ALWAYS had a strong defense that seemed to be under appreciated because the offense was so good. All of the game coverage is great viewing for us older guys.

It is a lot easier to look at the Niners under that stage, they truly were flat out good and held on to that level of football for longer than anyone else I have ever seen. I have said it before, the 89 Team IMHO was the best team to ever take the field in one season. Funny, the Niners have never won a Super Bowl I didn't want them to win. My how the mighty have fallen.

What really made that run so impressive to me was that the rosters of the teams that won in '81 and '89 and then even in '94 were SOOO different. The Steelers of the 70's had largely the same players for all 4 Super Bowls. The Niners only had 4 players with 4 rings from the 80s....Montana, Lott, Mike Wilson, and Keena Turner.

I hate to say it, but Wilson has a little Montana in him. We'll see if he can do what Joe did.

OP
OP
loafoftatupu

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":r558nnoq said:
I respect the players of that era, and the way they played. But the fans and the Debartolo family can eat a fat jimmy, the lot of them.

Yeah.. Eddie D was touted as the classiest by Niner nation because he spoiled them. Then he went and got a felony conviction and everything. No one will ever know how much money was hidden from the league either. I don't think that part of it was a factor until later when FA took off and the cap snuck in.

Dude avoided a stint in the joint, but he is still every bit a felon. Heh.. Eddie D, mafioso.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Marvin49":5r7rl7dr said:
I hate to say it, but Wilson has a little Montana in him. We'll see if he can do what Joe did.

After watching the Montana special last night I got a little smile on my face because I see similar traits in Russ. :mrgreen:

pmedic920

Reaction score
Yea I'm watching a piece now. They have R.Waters in studio. He was a stud, IMHO.
Fact of the matter, it's a different game now a days, salary cap/ FA, rule changes ect. ect.
I respect what the 9ers did back in the day.
The SeaHawks are poised to do something unprecedented in the new era of football.
Very exciting time to be a 12. :)

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Greenhell":y81pbz8r said:
Marvin49":y81pbz8r said:

After watching the Montana special last night I got a little smile on my face because I see similar traits in Russ. :mrgreen:
What traits?I didn't see the show..I'm going to guess the cool attitude and how both can execute the rollout really well...Am I missing anything?

Greenhell

Reaction score
IndyHawk":24wi1oc9 said:
Greenhell":24wi1oc9 said:
Marvin49":24wi1oc9 said:

What traits?I didn't see the show..I'm going to guess the cool attitude and how both can execute the rollout really well...Am I missing anything?

Cool as a cucumber under pressure, intelligent, a leader and also drafted in the 3rd round.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Impossible to not respect (love?) the old Niner teams. And it wasn't just the superstars. Like our modern day Hawks, they were a team that got it done from top to bottom. Names like Rathman, Tyler, Taylor, Francis and Jones are seldom mentioned these days but they are as synonymous with the org as Rice, Craig, Montana and Young (IMO).

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Well easy to id the players they didn't leave if stars-no fa then..HawkWow you left off a couple..The Catch(Clark) ,Romonowski and Haley..How they didn't win more Super Bowls is crazy..I know Banks of Giants took away 1 or more by that vicious sack of Montana..

tom sawyer

Reaction score
9ers of the history are the 9ers I can certainly respect, not this new aged bubble-gum crap. They had class back then.

HawkWow

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2jmm4um3 said:
Well easy to id the players they didn't leave if stars-no fa then..HawkWow you left off a couple..The Catch(Clark) ,Romonowski and Haley..How they didn't win more Super Bowls is crazy..I know Banks of Giants took away 1 or more by that vicious sack of Montana..

There are many indeed. But Haley (in particular), Romonowski and Clark were borderline superstars in their own rights. It's pure craziness that Haley isn't in Canton. But your point is excellent. When you have guys like these (and Watters and Dean and Soloman and Turner and Wright and Norton and Hanks and.... etc. etc.) that are casually overlooked, that really speaks volumes about SF's legacy as a franchise. Perhaps 2nd *only to Green Bay, the greatest org in history, IMO.

* I suppose Pittsburgh should be mentioned in this conversation but they are nothing more than this footnote to me. ; )

OP
OP
loafoftatupu

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
The length of their sustained success and the tree that Walsh created was unmatched. They could have won more, but they were in the conversation every year from 81 until the mid 90s.

Rice wasn't even there for the first two championships, they just seemed to have enough carryover that the players they brought in picked up on things quickly.

My parents were Steelers fans, relocated to the West Coast from PA, along with the rest of the family to Cali. Even with my immediate attraction to the Hawks and their dedication to the Steelers, it was fun to see the Niners make their turn. They both knew Montana from ND and my dad had said then that Joe would be a winner. They both hated the Cowboys and were cheering when "The Catch" happened like they were rooting for the Steelers.

I watched Niner games as a Seahawks fan in the 80s because I knew something special would happen. It only took TO and one visit to a Niner message board in 2002 to change my view. Won't ever forger those old teams though.

OP
OP
loafoftatupu

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
One of the other things that stands out was that the digits always had the Summerall/Madden team from CBS as CBS carried the NFC. It seemed like nearly every game they were the coverage team. I don't know, there was just something about it. It seemed like I heard Summerall make the "60 minutes for everyone except the West coast" a billion times.

Those guys must have knew the Niners inside and out. Favre and Aikman ruined that deal. :)

IndyHawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":17luh7vz said:
IndyHawk":17luh7vz said:

There are many indeed. But Haley (in particular), Romonowski and Clark were borderline superstars in their own rights. It's pure craziness that Haley isn't in Canton. But your point is excellent. When you have guys like these (and Watters and Dean and Soloman and Turner and Wright and Norton and Hanks and.... etc. etc.) that are casually overlooked, that really speaks volumes about SF's legacy as a franchise. Perhaps 2nd *only to Green Bay, the greatest org in history, IMO.

* I suppose Pittsburgh should be mentioned in this conversation but they are nothing more than this footnote to me. ; )
It seems I forgot a few niner greats myself..Norton (our def coach)Merton Hanks was money..Fred Dean a solid player...But you forgot M :th2thumbs: ike Cofer

Kaiser

Reaction score
I didnt watch football until 92 so screwtheir entire history. /blinders

NINEster

Reaction score
Kaiser":x9760r2e said:
I didnt watch football until 92 so screw their entire history. /blinders

You missed the greatest eras of football then. But like they say, ignorance is bliss.

There were some real wars in the NFC back then that put our little rivalry to shame.

'80s football was the best. Still had real tough defense and offenses were probably the best balanced of all eras.

Just look at the QBs who won super bowls in the '80s:

Jim Plunkett
Joe Montana
Joe Theismann
Jim McMahon
Phil Simms
Doug Williams

Compare that to the last decade and you can see how differently football teams were built back then. This "elite QB" BS didn't exist. You compared teams to each other not QBs.

I guess the only problem with the '80s was the AFC was pretty weak top to bottom, and didn't get resolved to normality until the Broncos and Patriots started winning super bowls. Then the '00s was slightly more an AFC decade.

'70s was all AFC.

And then as others mentioned, that was the peak of broadcasting with Madden and Summerall. Monday Night Football was legit.

Even the pregame shows were quality. NFL Today was must see TV prior to kickoff.

Latest posts