Despite today's Niner, I still respect the old school

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I even had a hard time hating the 2002 Niner team when they replayed the Giants-Niners playoff game the other day.

Loved Mooch and Garcia.. TO was still a douche but they had some likable players at least.

drdiags

Reaction score
Kaiser":3sh7aww0 said:
I didnt watch football until 92 so **** their entire history. /blinders

Is this the Shack? Come on man read the FAQ or something. No F-Bombs in forums besides the Shack/PWR and Gameday forums.

EDIT: The original FAQ explicitly called out the non-use of the F-bomb, even masked. The recent one posted by the owner just says the language has to be PG-13, so take that for what it is worth

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20981

Largent80

Reaction score
I loved seeing Merton Hanks with his bobblhead....Great stuff, and Rathman was a bulldozer. Craig was awesome as well. I actually liked them back then.

chris98251

Reaction score
Still no masked f bombs in any of the main forums, smack shack is where they belong.

OP
OP
loafoftatupu

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Largent80":1fc5qgzl said:
I loved seeing Merton Hanks with his bobblhead....Great stuff, and Rathman was a bulldozer. Craig was awesome as well. I actually liked them back then.

Yeah, the Niners had a lot of talent and options back then. The one thing they had was a team that stayed together for the most part, essentially two sets of players that did it. FA and the cap affected that in a big way. I mean who didn't know that the 88 Niners would repeat? These days teams can't do that easily, but I stand by my comment that the 89 Niners were the best team to ever play a season.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I am sure that i, along with many 12s, trace their disdain for the Niners to October 14, 2002.

On a personal note, i thoroughly enjoy that perhaps the greatest play in Seahawk history is an inversion of the greatest play in Niner history. I also hope that as The Catch came to symbolize the beginning of the Niner emergence and the Cowboy decline, so too will The Tip represent the emergence of the Seahawks.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Basis4day":2hnb7ofo said:
I am sure that i, along with many 12s, trace their disdain for the Niners to October 14, 2002.

On a personal note, i thoroughly enjoy that perhaps the greatest play in Seahawk history is an inversion of the greatest play in Niner history. I also hope that as The Catch came to symbolize the beginning of the Niner emergence and the Cowboy decline, so too will The Tip represent the emergence of the Seahawks.

That date meant nothing to me.

Is that the Sharpie game?

If so, then I wasn't thrilled by it either.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Marvin49":2lgihgnv said:
Is that the Sharpie game?

If so, then I wasn't thrilled by it either.

Well rivalries have to start somewhere. And since the Niners sucked for the rest of our first 10 years together, I guess the sharpie game works...

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":3vlgwdqp said:
loafoftatupu":3vlgwdqp said:
While having a fairly strong level of disdain for the current Niner regime, I always have and still remain impressed by the turn around and sustained level of success the Walsh staff brought to that franchise. I remember when they really, truly stunk and were the embarrassment of the Bay area. Even before the 81 season, you could see the turn around under Walsh. For his legacy to be branched out so far is just amazing. The man took lessons from the best and then put his touch on things.

Seeing the whole dynasty "Niner week" on NFLN, I am actually entertained by some of the older games they are televising. Loved the NFCC with Dallas. When you think about it, Montana wasn't more than just a pup himself when they won that year, yet he was as cool as they come. Man that guy was something special as a QB. I forgot how much a beating Solomon took as the feature receiver in those days. They ALWAYS had a strong defense that seemed to be under appreciated because the offense was so good. All of the game coverage is great viewing for us older guys.

It is a lot easier to look at the Niners under that stage, they truly were flat out good and held on to that level of football for longer than anyone else I have ever seen. I have said it before, the 89 Team IMHO was the best team to ever take the field in one season. Funny, the Niners have never won a Super Bowl I didn't want them to win. My how the mighty have fallen.

What really made that run so impressive to me was that the rosters of the teams that won in '81 and '89 and then even in '94 were SOOO different. The Steelers of the 70's had largely the same players for all 4 Super Bowls. The Niners only had 4 players with 4 rings from the 80s....Montana, Lott, Mike Wilson, and Keena Turner.

I hate to say it, but Wilson has a little Montana in him. We'll see if he can do what Joe did.
Keena Turner?, isn't she the one that sang "Rollin' On The River"? LOLOL
Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.
I don't know that Russell Wilson will become very Montana like though, because The Seahawks implement a more "Run First" Offense.

Walsh was a wizard, at formulating, and pioneering the style of Offense that got copied by a bunch of others, but never really improved upon.

Sherminator

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":b6wcc8mp said:
The length of their sustained success and the tree that Walsh created was unmatched. They could have won more, but they were in the conversation every year from 81 until the mid 90s.

Rice wasn't even there for the first two championships, they just seemed to have enough carryover that the players they brought in picked up on things quickly.

My parents were Steelers fans, relocated to the West Coast from PA, along with the rest of the family to Cali. Even with my immediate attraction to the Hawks and their dedication to the Steelers, it was fun to see the Niners make their turn. They both knew Montana from ND and my dad had said then that Joe would be a winner. They both hated the Cowboys and were cheering when "The Catch" happened like they were rooting for the Steelers.

I watched Niner games as a Seahawks fan in the 80s because I knew something special would happen. It only took TO and one visit to a Niner message board in 2002 to change my view. Won't ever forger those old teams though.

I'm in the exact same situation, my parents are from SD and we moved up to Seattle.
I prefer college football, I consider myself more of a PAC-12 fan than anything...
But if i had to pick i would root for the niners.

I haven't had the best time on this message board either. There is some hate between our teams! Haha

dbmack

Reaction score
I hated the 49ers even back in the Montana days. It has nothing to do with the team rivalry, it is a family thing.

Babsmack

Reaction score
Great respect. The Seahawks were trash for a long time. I love that they're a team to be reckoned with now.

Much love.

Also, eff the Seahawks. :D

OP
OP
loafoftatupu

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Babsmack":1jkymmgd said:
Great respect. The Seahawks were trash for a long time. I love that they're a team to be reckoned with now.

Much love.

Also, eff the Seahawks. :D

Everybody drink. Babsmack posted on .net

Now, get busy and round up your flies.. err I mean kids. One of them made his way into the Shack.