RG3 benched ......

Axx

Reaction score
Lololol
Thats what the selfish little prick gets.

So there is no doubt rw was the 2nd best in that draft now just got to silence the ones riding lucks jock strap

joeseahawks

Reaction score
It makes plenty of sense. They trying to correct a mistake they made on draft day a few years ago.
Why draft two QBs in the first 3 rounds, when there is so little talent on that team? Look at their defense , WRs and overall talent.
They trying to give Cousins some reps and try to trade him for some drafts. Their drafts are going to the RAMS this year.
Furthermore, what's the point of getting their Savior killed in meaningless games? RGIII has been sacked/hit like 25 times the last 3 games.
RGIII should have been shot down a few months ago. He needs to be locked in a cave and learn to throw from the pocket for 6 months straight.
Learning basic concept in live games might get him hurt bad.

IcedHawk

Reaction score
HAHA. RGIII needs to take the rest of the year off.

HawkWow

Reaction score
The Skins, not unexpectedly, definitely made a "mistake" in the 2011 draft, but that mistake wasn't Cousins, it was Griffin. A mistake with legs, a mistake that will keep on giving (to our enemy). The only way they could possibly make the situation worse, would be to trade Cousins, keep Griffin.

I've never been a fan of Shanahan. Never. But today I applaud the man and he has my respect for this move. Yes, he's being a PITA to Snyder and trying to get axed (so he can collect all monies owed) but his actions are twofold: He gets away from a crap org with a craptastic QB AND walks away with the admiration of every other coach in the league. No coach wants to be bullied by his owner, forced to play a college level QB in the bigs. It's that coach that looks the fool unless he stands up and says "sorry DC, he never was my guy, blame this mess on the reckless abandon of your ownership".

It's going to take Wash awhile to recover from what will surely go down as one of the worst trades in modern NFL history and Shanahan thumbs his nose on the way out the door while telling the fans..."look, here's your guy, if I had my way, we would have groomed him last year and challenge with him this year".

Aside from the picks this gave the Rams, I have little interest in the Skins and certainly never bought into the RG3 hype machine. But I am a huge fan of NFL football and what has happened here with this situation, is we were robbed of watching Cousins join a group of young QBs that rival the class of 83. Again, props to Shanahan for saying...."get my name off this train wreck".

HawkWow

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":unevjgf1 said:
Shanahan is gone. This sounds like a job-saving move and it won't work.

That's the last thing Shanahan is attempting to do.

Jac

Reaction score
Chris Cooley, their radio color guy, had an extremely negative assessment of where Griffin is at developmentally.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc- ... han-rgiii/

Some excerpts:

* “[Robert Griffin III] only reads one side of the field, and the Kansas City Chiefs were very aware of that. When he takes the snap, his head goes to whatever side of the field he wants to throw to, and so do the rest of the Kansas City Chiefs. He looks right; you’ve got three guys just running right to pick up routes. They aborted the other side of the field in their zones.”

* “His technique right now, as far as dropping and throwing the ball, is dreadful. He’s throwing high over and over and over again. He’s throwing behind guys, he’s missing guys, his accuracy is as low as I’ve seen from a guy who should be a very good quarterback. He is never taking a regular drop from under center. He is only taking awkward pistol drops and shotgun drops. ”

* “The problem with Robert is if he’s able to make plays on the move, then that’s one thing. You want him to stay in the pocket, but once he’s out of the pocket, he has no vision downfield. He may be looking downfield, but he has lost coverage. His determination of where the coverage is is gone. And he’s not able to see very accurately down the field. There were four or five times when he was able to escape the pocket forward, had guys that he could have delivered a pass to, and didn’t see them. So I’m not sure if he’s just looking for his guys to block or what, but it’s not very good.”

-The Glove-

Reaction score
HawkWow":3msgu4xi said:
The Skins, not unexpectedly, definitely made a "mistake" in the 2011 draft, but that mistake wasn't Cousins, it was Griffin. A mistake with legs, a mistake that will keep on giving (to our enemy). The only way they could possibly make the situation worse, would be to trade Cousins, keep Griffin.

I've never been a fan of Shanahan. Never. But today I applaud the man and he has my respect for this move. Yes, he's being a PITA to Snyder and trying to get axed (so he can collect all monies owed) but his actions are twofold: He gets away from a crap org with a craptastic QB AND walks away with the admiration of every other coach in the league. No coach wants to be bullied by his owner, forced to play a college level QB in the bigs. It's that coach that looks the fool unless he stands up and says "sorry DC, he never was my guy, blame this mess on the reckless abandon of your ownership".

It's going to take Wash awhile to recover from what will surely go down as one of the worst trades in modern NFL history and Shanahan thumbs his nose on the way out the door while telling the fans..."look, here's your guy, if I had my way, we would have groomed him last year and challenge with him this year".

Aside from the picks this gave the Rams, I have little interest in the Skins and certainly never bought into the RG3 hype machine. But I am a huge fan of NFL football and what has happened here with this situation, is we were robbed of watching Cousins join a group of young QBs that rival the class of 83. Again, props to Shanahan for saying...."get my name off this train wreck".

Well said, HW

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Shannahan is man without honor. His word is worthless. Karma is a bitch. too bad he ruined a good young QB. I hope he never gets another head coaching job.

kearly

Reaction score
I think people are reading into this too much. The season is over for the Redskins, so every game RG3 plays around a team in "full quit mode" has extremely little development upside with much, much higher injury downside. By starting Cousins, they get a little more development evaluation benefit as Cousins has had far less to evaluate him on to this point. And who knows, maybe Cousins plays very well and they pump up his trade value.

I've defended Shanahan many, many times in the past. But he deserves to be fired and I would be shocked if he isn't. Not because of RG3, but because of a disturbing track record of Shanahan running his defenses into the ground. The Redskins team Shanahan inherited had a pretty good defense. Now it is one of the worst defenses in the league, and their specials teams, if the season ended today, would be the worst unit since at least 1991 (DVOA), potentially the worst special teams in NFL history. Shanahan in Denver was the same story. The year he got fired in Denver his team had one of the elite offenses in the NFL, but his defense was so bad that he missed the playoffs in a weak division anyway.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":hgm28gxc said:
Shannahan is man without honor. His word is worthless. Karma is a bitch. too bad he ruined a good young QB. I hope he never gets another head coaching job.

The young QB had a hand in being ruined. His arrogance, calling his own press conference, calling out play calls in post game pressers. Shanny will leave and RG will be there and I hope they hire the Baylor coach. Dont get me wrong Shammy is an arrogant jerk but I see him being the least of the three evils in this.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":vp3e3ion said:
I think people are reading into this too much. The season is over for the Redskins, so every game RG3 plays around a team in "full quit mode" has extremely little development upside with much, much higher injury downside. By starting Cousins, they get a little more development evaluation benefit as Cousins has had far less to evaluate him on to this point. And who knows, maybe Cousins plays very well and they pump up his trade value.

I've defended Shanahan many, many times in the past. But he deserves to be fired and I would be shocked if he isn't. Not because of RG3, but because of a disturbing track record of Shanahan running his defenses into the ground. The Redskins team Shanahan inherited had a pretty good defense. Now it is one of the worst defenses in the league, and their specials teams, if the season ended today, would be the worst unit since at least 1991 (DVOA), potentially the worst special teams in NFL history. Denver was the same story. The year he got fired in Denver his team had one of the elite offenses in the NFL, but his defense was so bad that he missed the playoffs in a weak division anyway.

If Cousins plays well, they have a blue chipper to trade. Well said.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I do think it makes some sense, but I still think the Redskins are being a little disingenuous. If RG3 was playing well, and they were still 3-10 due to bad defense and ST, he would not be benched right now. Shanahan's decision has at least something to do with RG3's poor play and the sense that the guys around him aren't playing hard for him. He would never get away with this if RG3 still looked like a superstar on a bad team.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Scottemojo":t38m35b5 said:
kearly":t38m35b5 said:

I've defended Shanahan many, many times in the past. But he deserves to be fired and I would be shocked if he isn't. Not because of RG3, but because of a disturbing track record of Shanahan running his defenses into the ground. The Redskins team Shanahan inherited had a pretty good defense. Now it is one of the worst defenses in the league, and their specials teams, if the season ended today, would be the worst unit since at least 1991 (DVOA), potentially the worst special teams in NFL history. Denver was the same story. The year he got fired in Denver his team had one of the elite offenses in the NFL, but his defense was so bad that he missed the playoffs in a weak division anyway.

If Cousins plays well, they have a blue chipper to trade. Well said.

Trading the blue chipper while keeping RG3 will get the next coach fired, too. IMO.

I think if anyone is reading too much into this, it's those that have tarred and feathered Shanahan for "ruining RG3". None of us outside the org know the instructions given to Shanahan by Snyder. If Snyder was telling Shanahan..."look, I want ass' in seats and I want that now, play Griffin or hit the bricks"....it would be hard to blame Shanahan for doing so.

CaliHawk said Griffin had a hand in this mess and he is 100% correct. Griffin airing the Skins laundry in public should have been grounds for benching to begin with. You don't go to the media...even if you think you're bigger than the team or the sport. So let's step into Shanahan's shoes for a moment: He (likely) has his owner saying "play Griifin now" and we know he had Griffin publicly saying "I don't know why I'm not playing. The docs have cleared me to play and I am 100% and ready to go. You will have to ask Coach Shanahan why I'm sitting when I could be out there helping this team win". That was a punkass move and never more true is the old adage 'Be careful what you ask for'. I think it was at that time Shanahan started planning his exit strategy and as Kearly suggests, let the team face plant.

(Thanks Glove).

mrblitz

Reaction score
griffin should have taken the year off, and developed himself for next season.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm feelin' pretty boss about the fact that I said I wasn't convinced RG3 was a good pocket passer yet before our playoff game @ their house because half of his passes in 2012 were dump-offs/shovels to RBs/FBs/WRs behind the line, etc.

8)

Jac

Reaction score
I really doubt that this move has anything to do with protecting RG3 or pumping up Cousins trade value, since Shanahan is not going to be in D.C. next year. This is all about Shanahan's agenda (whatever it may be) in a very public divorce with Snyder.

Carmon1274

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2i94ml9d said:
It makes plenty of sense. They trying to correct a mistake they made on draft day a few years ago.
Why draft two QBs in the first 3 rounds, when there is so little talent on that team? Look at their defense , WRs and overall talent.
They trying to give Cousins some reps and try to trade him for some drafts. Their drafts are going to the RAMS this year.
Furthermore, what's the point of getting their Savior killed in meaningless games? RGIII has been sacked/hit like 25 times the last 3 games.
RGIII should have been shot down a few months ago. He needs to be locked in a cave and learn to throw from the pocket for 6 months straight.
Learning basic concept in live games might get him hurt bad.

Uh excuse me? You're overreacting.

What's wrong with drafting 2 QB's. Both of them played good and did well. Kirk cousins came in for RGIII against Baltimore and helped them tie the game and beat them in OT.

Did the Patriots make a mistake drafting Mallet in the 3rd round pick?

I highly doubt they are playing Cousins so that they can trade him for picks. Cousins is a good backup and is here so that RGIII can get some rest and play 2014. Sure draft picks are nice but we are talking about Dan Snyder. Who cheats everything and gets anything from Free Agency. He tampers with the players in free agency and right after free agency starts, he gets his players.

HawkWow

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":ow54myr6 said:
I'm feelin' pretty boss about the fact that I said I wasn't convinced RG3 was a good pocket passer yet before our playoff game @ their house because half of his passes in 2012 were dump-offs/shovels to RBs/FBs/WRs behind the line, etc.

8)

You and I both, Roland. Not looking for the pat on the back, but with so many ridiculing my position that Griffin wasn't worth more than a late 1st rd, there is a bit of satisfaction that comes with this.

I previously failed to acknowledge Kearly's contribution to this thread regarding Shanahan's defenses and the likelihood those woes are contributing to the (apparent) departure of Shanahan. That was great insight that most would overlook, perhaps lost in the wash of RG3-mania.

I might actually read Shanahan's book once written. I'm curious whether or not Shanahan wanted Griffin at any point. We all felt it rather peculiar that after squandering so many picks, the Skins took 2 QBs in 2011. Perhaps Griffin was Snyder's and the Cousins pick to pacify Shanahan. Regardless, I think it was one of the few smart moves the Skins made.

I am reminded of the joke where a guy jumps from a ledge, only to decide half way down he don't want to die. To his good fortune, the fire dept was performing drills beneath the scene and caught him mid-air, saving his life. My new nickname for Cousins is the Fireman.

As an aside, It is clear the Skins have quit. I won't be stunned if Cousins does not perform well over the next few weeks and under these conditions... shouldn't be expected to. Further...why would anyone think since this year is toast...better to rest Griffin? IF he is 100%, as reported by all, the smarter play would be to let him finish the year, getting much needed reps and with no pressure. He is being punished, belittled and Shanahan is his tormentor, IMO.