Why isn't PC getting more love for COY?

UGotHawked

Reaction score
Whenever I hear it discussed nobody seems to mention him. Not even locally. Just curious.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
COY usually goes to a coach that turned a team around that was awful the year before. No one denies that Pete's a great coach, but the fact that this team is loaded with talent and was expected to win goes against him for this award.

IMO it's Andy Reid's to lose this year.

jblaze

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":246zizz5 said:
COY usually goes to a coach that turned a team around that was awful the year before. No one denies that Pete's a great coach, but the fact that this team is loaded with talent and was expected to win goes against him for this award.

IMO it's Andy Reid's to lose this year.

^^ This.

Plus Pete isn't generally liked nationally it seems.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Although I agree with the assessment that there are more likely candidates, I don't know why people think he hasn't been mentioned as in the running. It was discussed on this very board just last week and I know that at least nfl.com had at articles discussing how he's a candidate.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":3athkftg said:
I don't know why people think he hasn't been mentioned as in the running. It was discussed on this very board just last week and I know that at least nfl.com had at articles discussing how he's a candidate.

Because that's what people do in this forum. If there's no real "everyone hates us" subject matter to discuss, they make it up anyway.

Chapow

Reaction score
Here's another one, it's from 4 days ago.

http://q.usatoday.com/2013/12/06/coach- ... r-week-14/

There's not a ton out there discussing COY, but what there is has Pete as one of the leading candidates if not the leader. No offense OP, but I don't think you did much (any) homework before starting this thread.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Pretty much what Sgt. Largent said.

It doesn't help that the award is based on the regular season only. A coach who takes a team from average to great during the regular season like the Chiefs* & Andy Reid is easier to measure than a coach improving his team from great to near-dominance, like Carroll has done (which to most fans is usually only proven until after winning a championship). IMO, it's that last step towards winning a Superbowl which separates coaches in this league yet unfortunately for Pete, the COY award doesn't include playoff results.

*The talent level of last year's Chiefs team prevents me from calling them a 'bad' team. More poorly coached then anything.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
But coach of the year should include finding, developing, and using talent to earn wins. Pete has succeeded amazingly at this.

Is there a team with more mid- to low-round draft pics as starters, with anywhere near the dominance of Seattle this season?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3j0ltx8v said:
But coach of the year should include finding, developing, and using talent to earn wins. Pete has succeeded amazingly at this.

Is there a team with more mid- to low-round draft pics as starters, with anywhere near the dominance of Seattle this season?

How bout what Belicheat is doing with the Patriots? They're 10-3 with half their team on the IR.

You could make a case for lots of coaches, and Pete's certainly in the conversation. But like I said it's probably Reid's to lose this year. 2-14 to possibly 12 or 13 wins is pretty damn remarkable.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":masvh4ww said:

It doesn't help that the award is based on the regular season only. A coach who takes a team from average to great during the regular season like the Chiefs* & Andy Reid is easier to measure than a coach improving his team from great to near-dominance, like Carroll has done (which to most fans is usually only proven until after winning a championship). IMO, it's that last step towards winning a Superbowl which separates coaches in this league yet unfortunately for Pete, the COY award doesn't include playoff results.

*The talent level of last year's Chiefs team prevents me from calling them a 'bad' team. More poorly coached then anything.

No different than when Harbaugh won his COY. I actually kind of hate that. It doesn't mean you're some sort of supercoach if you can win with a team full of superstars that the last guy was to incompetent to do anything with. Pete inherited a dumpster fire and has them as the best team in the NFL in his 4th season. That's bad ass!

HawkStar3

Reaction score
Could it have something to do with the general dislike most of the country has for PC? Everyone hated him at SC too.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
CANHawk":1yh8qc2q said:
Recon_Hawk":1yh8qc2q said:

No different than when Harbaugh won his COY. I actually kind of hate that. It doesn't mean you're some sort of supercoach if you can win with a team full of superstars that the last guy was to incompetent to do anything with. Pete inherited a dumpster fire and has them as the best team in the NFL in his 4th season. That's bad ass!
I agree completely. If you put Reid on a rebuilding Jaguars team this year they don't win anywhere near 12 wins; probably closer to the 7-9 record Pete achieved his first year with Seattle.

The rebuilding process Pete and John took on isn't recognized nearly enough. I remember an article from last year that had the top 5 (10?) coaches you'd want to start a new franchise. Pete wasn't even on the list, though he basically turned this franchise into a championship-caliber team by the end of his third year and now in year 4 super bowl favorites.

Cartire

Reaction score
COY is voted on by the AP, correct?

if it is, then they only vote for quick turn around teams because they have a hard time actually analyzing talent.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CANHawk":do6d689g said:
Recon_Hawk":do6d689g said:

All true, but COY is for one particular year, not a four year span of coaching excellence. Btw, some would say 7-9 for his first two years isn't very bad ass, especially compared to some of the quicker turnarounds.

I agree that Harbaugh and Reid ALREADY had the talent on their roster, they just happened to replace bumbling idiots that didn't know how to coach. But they still had to put in the work and win.

gonzhawk

Reaction score
I do think other than that last article that put him at the top, he or even Schneider have really only received what amounts to verbal praise without any real substance. I know I am a homer, but it does seem a bit much that since we started the Pete/John era that they have not gotten more than that. And last year it was Arians to lose....

Pete is a boss...damn strait!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
gonzhawk":2ufa7x91 said:
I do think other than that last article that put him at the top, he or even Schneider have really only received what amounts to verbal praise without any real substance. I know I am a homer, but it does seem a bit much that since we started the Pete/John era that they have not gotten more than that. And last year it was Arians to lose....

Now I do think Schneider is the front runner for exec of the year. Probably should have won last year, but the Colts/Arians/Grigson story was too good to pass up apparently for the league.

I know, drafting Andrew Luck #1 overall to improve an absolutely putrid team took some serious GM'ing skills.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
gonzhawk":229tvoia said:
I do think other than that last article that put him at the top, he or even Schneider have really only received what amounts to verbal praise without any real substance.

Oh, there's been substance all over this team. :pimp:

Why do you REALLY think Pete will never get COY? The endless suspensions have given the USCgate-obsessed media all the reason they needed to eliminate him from consideration.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":7chyp15h said:
CANHawk":7chyp15h said:
Recon_Hawk":7chyp15h said:

All true, but COY is for one particular year, not a four year span of coaching excellence. Btw, some would say 7-9 for his first two years isn't very bad ass, especially compared to some of the quicker turnarounds.

I agree that Harbaugh and Reid ALREADY had the talent on their roster, they just happened to replace bumbling idiots that didn't know how to coach. But they still had to put in the work and win.

Did they though? Inherit a team full of stars and play a division loser's schedule. Really, who did KC play before Denver punched them in the mouth? Dallas? ooooh..... Harbaugh I can (reluctantly) see the case for, but Reid didn't swoop in do anything different than what was achieving middling results in Philly. That's an old dog, he has no new tricks.

All true, but COY is for one particular year, not a four year span of coaching excellence.
Okay, but Pete is 11-2. That's pretty excellent.