Oilers/Saints HC Bum Phillips dies at 90

Gap Filler

Reaction score
I never saw his teams but as a kid I watched NFL Films a lot. He seemed like quite the character.

Al Davis has left us, now Bum. I wish someone would start a Knox topic and all the old timers would chip in with stories so we can appreciate him before he passes. I love hearing the stories.

I wasn't lucky enough to really appreciate the 80's Hawks since I was born in '77.

Edit: I'm gonna make one, we are basically on a bye week anyway.

chris98251

Reaction score
Bum in Houston was a character, He had Earl Campbell, a good defense and was all Texan in his delivery and mannerisms, had a hell of a temper also, Dan Pastorini was a hell of a QB that like many good ones played for a team that never made it over the hump. The days of teams with personalities is mostly gone now with all the hiring and firings and Free Agency. The Oilers never really got their due credit since Dallas dominated the decade in the NFC and the state of Texas. Guys like Tom Landry, Bum Phillips, John Madden as well as Al Davis, Chuck Knox and Bud Grant, Syd Luckman and Don Coryell are gone. Pete Carroll and Bill Belichek are kind of the last of that old generation of coaches still active.

Football then was identified with a teams personality as much as a player and their coach.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
RIP Bum!

Never forget the time a fan ran by and stole his stetson and ran away.Bum just stood there and shot the guy the bird!