So how was it that Texas didn't get blown out by you?

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Trying to find out if it was just some fluke so I can have some hope next week for the 49ers.

It seemed they were able to move the ball against you for most of the game, and that they shut your offense down most of the game. What did they do? I noticed a lot of down the field receptions by TEs against you. Also, how were you able to turn it around? I just saw a lot of undisciplined play by Texas and some great plays taking advantage of it. Are they really that good, or did you just lay a fat egg? Or was it the lack of the 12th man maybe? Or the presence of Johnson on the outside?

sturg78

Reaction score
10 am. LBs can't cover a tight end. Bad D play calling first half.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
They sent the house at us every snap of the ball. I don't see that strategy being as effective against your line, but I fully expect your offense to have issues against their D. Your offense sucks ass this year.

They will hit a lot of crossing routes against your D. Expect a steady diet of throws over the middle to the likes of Owen Daniels.

pehawk

Reaction score
It was playoff intensity by Houston, for real. It wasn't a game, it was a 1970's 15 round heavyweight duel. Guess which team's MORE used to those?

We could go X and O's, but that's the game, really.

OP
OP
5_Golden_Rings

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
pehawk":1p6wqj91 said:
It was playoff intensity by Houston, for real. It wasn't a game, it was a 1970's 15 round heavyweight duel. Guess which team's MORE used to those?

Well, I would say the reason you won, ultimately, was because Russell Wilson did better than Matt Schaub at the most important thing a QB is supposed to do. Wilson throws for a paltry 123 yards, Schaub throws for 355. But Wilson plays like Alex Smith and limits turnovers, meanwhile Schaub plays like a Mike Martz QB, throws 2 picks, including a crucial one in the clutch, and the result is that Seattle wins.

But I'm interested if there are any particular trends with Houston beyond merely Schaub choking. I don't think the 49ers can necessarily count on that, even if he has thrown a pick six the last three games.

Of course, you obviously hope Schaub has a focused, solid game. But maybe he can't?

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm telling you, it was a game Houston came to play. They we're physical and after it. That's NFC West ball, by mid 3rd quarter, they we're spent.

Shaub was rattled, pure rattled. Foster was exhausted. Sherman was too, physically exhausted. If you get a chance watch from 3rd quarter on. Houston was spent...they couldn't play NFC West ball.

They did nothing surprising, blitzed numbers and took their chances with LB's over Sherman or Browner.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Tough one to call. I think the 10am start really hurts us just like you guys last year. I also think it kind of played a little bit of a lulling affect on Houston as they seemed shocked in the second half when we started playing like it was normal game time and at that point they might have already got it in their heads that they were the better team.

That first half was the perfect storm though. Early game against a pumped up, well coached and talented team coming of a demoralizing loss the week before. Significant injuries to our O-line going up against their biggest strength on and on. I'm not surprised we got off to a very slow start but I am also not surprised we battled back in the second half. I am a little surprised we left with the W. I had predicted a loss and for all the reasons described above.

We will get another test next week though and so will you. I call this Sunday double jeopardy. If we beat the Colts in their house and Houston beats you in yours, what does that say about our two teams? Will you be around here if that happens?

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Taking nothing away from the Texans, I think we were missing our 3 OL quite a bit. It made it rough.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Because of "any given Sunday." 9 times out of 10 I think the scores would still be close anyways. Amazing front 7 with Cushing and Watt leading the way. Really good TE, Andre Johnson and my favorite rookie WR in the draft, Deandre Hopkins and their secondary is pretty damn good too. On our side, the 10 am starts seem to always lead to slow starts. Also, a horrible game plan coming out the gates limited any chance we had to keep the ball moving. With 3 backup OL, there seemed to be no quick hitting routes.

Greenhell

Reaction score
pehawk":gbxelk6t said:

Gawd I miss 15 round fights. 12 rounds are for chumps.

HawkWow

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":19pt12m9 said:
pehawk":19pt12m9 said:

Well, I would say the reason you won, ultimately, was because Russell Wilson did better than Matt Schaub at the most important thing a QB is supposed to do. Wilson throws for a paltry 123 yards, Schaub throws for 355. But Wilson plays like Alex Smith and limits turnovers, meanwhile Schaub plays like a Mike Martz QB, throws 2 picks, including a crucial one in the clutch, and the result is that Seattle wins.

But I'm interested if there are any particular trends with Houston beyond merely Schaub choking. I don't think the 49ers can necessarily count on that, even if he has thrown a pick six the last three games.

Of course, you obviously hope Schaub has a focused, solid game. But maybe he can't?

Perhaps you're forgetting your 9ers are our hated rival, Mr. Harbaugh. Nice try coming into our forum for advice on how to game plan the Texans. Two words and then you're on your own. RUN KAEP.

drdiags

Reaction score
Title reads funny. It first seemed like it was a mocking question like you guys claim to be so tough, why didn't you blow out the Texans? But the conversation is different.

So taking it from scratch where I figure you just want a scouting report, the Texans were winning the battle of the trenches on both sides of the ball. For them to do it defensively wasn't a surprise, but they were missing folks from their OL and the backups were holding up for awhile.

On defense the Texans shut down the passing game but were susceptible to the run game by Lynch. He had a few long runs. The rest of the offense wasn't getting it done. On offense, the Texans were able to use their TEs and A Johnson to move the ball early. A few turnovers early kept them in check though they still had a 20-3 halftime lead. Second half the Seahawks defense started making stops with pressure and sacks. The Offense was still having issues because of the blocking but Wilson started taking advantage of the Texans secondary drops and got huge chunks on scrambles. The back-breaking 98 yd drive with the great catch by Baldwin helped make it a ballgame.

Texans had a chance to close it out after a pick but Kubiak was trying to silence critics about his conservative play-calling and tried to take a kill shot with a fake run, throw back to the TE that the Seahawks had expected and planned for during the week of practice.

Texans are a very deep and talented team that could afford to lose DeMeco Ryan and Williams and not miss a beat. They are getting close to desperate after the past two losses and early season uneven play. They will keep running the ball, so expect a nice slugfest in the trenches. The 9ers OL should be able to stand up to them and I am not sure Cushing has been cleared from his concussion yet. Your pass rush should be able to get some pressure but the lack of Aldon Smith may show up in this game. Brooks can get Schaub off his spot. I expect your team to win but I thought they would beat the Colts as well, so I may not be giving the AFC South their due.

Texans, Colts and Titans all seem to have defensive squads that can be stout. We will see Sunday again how they stack up to the NFC West. The 9ers players were shouting that they were back after the Rams game, so their swagger should be high to put on a show Sunday night. You guys need Baldwin to make more than 2 catches. Or for Gore to have a game like he had Thursday night.

SF49r

Reaction score
HawkWow":b312ojtu said:
Perhaps you're forgetting your 9ers are our hated rival, Mr. Harbaugh. Nice try coming into our forum for advice on how to game plan the Texans. Two words and then you're on your own. RUN KAEP.

If anything Harbaugh would call up his brother who just blown out the Texans a couple of games ago.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Houston was 12-4 last year and won a playoff game, it's not like they're a weak team. We played a good team in their house, it shouldn't be a huge shock. We forced turnovers and they didn't is what tipped things. We gave up 20 points in 1 quarter and absolutely dominated the 2nd half. Our offense is still slow starting for whatever reason and we finally put it together in the 2nd half. We didn't blow them out because we played a good team in their house.

pehawk

Reaction score
And the turnovers came because Houston wasn't used to matching intensity like that. They're Holmgren's Seahawks, their division has made it so they can win on talent alone, most of the time.

davidonmi

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2kum9ij1 said:
pehawk":2kum9ij1 said:

I mean you always point to their stretch running scheme that can cause teams problems, owen daniels is really good, if he could just stay healthy I think he would be an all pro personally, but he's always hurt. They are bad at containing the QB, look for kaepernick to have a nice day rushing.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
After his locker room post game interview, I would suggest the 9ers commit at least 4 offensive linemen, a tight end and Frank Gore to blocking JJ Watt... on every down.

You're welcome.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Houston is a good team. Period.

They have pro-bowl, household-name talent on both sides of the ball. Plus, Matt Shaub was on it for at least two quarters. Made VERY difficult throws. I think they lack consistently and were a little overrated before last week, but now people seem to be underrating them. They're not bad.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I think Aldon Smith could have a field day.

Kaep won't be able to run away from Cush, if he makes it past Watt..

Latest posts