NFL looking to shorten preseason and expand playoffs

JSeahawks

Reaction score
ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported Sunday that the league is “urgently discussing” the possibility of shortening the preseason from four games to three, with that adjustment coming hand-in-hand with an expansion of the playoff field from 12 to 14 teams

I like the only 3 preseason games part (i'd actually prefer only 2). I don't love the idea of watering down the playoffs, but don't mind it too much. Only 1 team from each conference would get a bye which would make it even more important to get that #1 seed. Plus, as a fan i'd much rather watch 2 extra playoff games then an extra week of preseason.

I don't love the overall idea, but I kind of like it. It beats going to an 18 game regular season or putting a team in London or any of that other garbage.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/09/29/nfl-expand ... preseason/

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Yeah, there's definitely worse ideas out there. Better than the 18-game regular season, anhow. Personally, I'd love it if they could just somehow get rid of the bye during the playoffs. It's just too powerful. But that would require going to 16 teams in the playoffs which is too many.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JSeahawks":22yfxds3 said:
ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported Sunday that the league is “urgently discussing” the possibility of shortening the preseason from four games to three, with that adjustment coming hand-in-hand with an expansion of the playoff field from 12 to 14 teams

I like the only 3 preseason games part (i'd actually prefer only 2). I don't love the idea of watering down the playoffs, but don't mind it too much. Only 1 team from each conference would get a bye which would make it even more important to get that #1 seed. Plus, as a fan i'd much rather watch 2 extra playoff games then an extra week of preseason.

I don't love the overall idea, but I kind of like it. It beats going to an 18 game regular season or putting a team in London or any of that other garbage.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/09/29/nfl-expand ... preseason/
Agree on shortening the preseason, don't like playoff expansion. I think Rog has a hard on for London and other foreign markets. Don't be surprised if eventually the regular season is expanded to 17 games, 8 home, 8 away, and 1 game on foreign soil (see London, Canada, Mexico etc etc)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3rhxytbb said:
I think Rog has a hard on for London and other foreign markets.

Wouldn't untapped hundreds of billions of dollars just out there for the taking make you hard, too? American football has the potential (CALM DOWN, soccer fans) to supplant football/soccer around the globe as the dominant sport over the next hundred or more years.

Again, soccer fans, calm down; I said it has the POTENTIAL to do that.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":263msqv8 said:
Yeah, there's definitely worse ideas out there. Better than the 18-game regular season, anhow. Personally, I'd love it if they could just somehow get rid of the bye during the playoffs. It's just too powerful. But that would require going to 16 teams in the playoffs which is too many.
(I do see 18-20 games with 2 preseason games and 16 in the playoffs as pretty much a lock in the future, just too much potential money lying there not to).

Sturm

Reaction score
I don't want to see any expansion for the playoffs but especially not the regular season. Just think of all the records that will be destroyed by adding games.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
It will never happen, but one less pre-season game and a second bye would be my vote. We already have barely average teams making the playoffs, we don't need any more. But, it will generate more $$$, so of course they're looking into it.

pehawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":bfuaevwi said:
We already have barely average teams making the playoffs, we don't need any more. But, it will generate more $$$, so of course they're looking into it.

I hate this reasoning. I just don't understand it. It's all relative. And, using this rationale the Steelers and Giants would be less a SB or two, because curmudgeon's like Abs didn't like the wild card, either.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":wawpbqtr said:
RolandDeschain":wawpbqtr said:
Sports Hernia":wawpbqtr said:
I think Rog has a hard on for London and other foreign markets.

Wouldn't untapped hundreds of billions of dollars just out there for the taking make you hard, too? American football has the potential (CALM DOWN, soccer fans) to supplant football/soccer around the globe as the dominant sport over the next hundred or more years.

Again, soccer fans, calm down; I said it has the POTENTIAL to do that.

No, it doesn't. American football would be nothing more than a novelty, just like NFL Europe was. There is no potential for anything. Soccer will be King for centuries to come.
Yes, yes, yes, nothing can possibly challenge the boringness--err, traditional entertainment--that is soccer. :roll:

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
pehawk":hykjgp8w said:
AbsolutNET":hykjgp8w said:
We already have barely average teams making the playoffs, we don't need any more. But, it will generate more $$$, so of course they're looking into it.

I hate this reasoning. I just don't understand it. It's all relative. And, using this rationale the Steelers and Giants would be less a SB or two, because curmudgeon's like Abs didn't like the wild card, either.

Lets just stop keeping track of wins and losses to begin with, that way everyone gets in.

pehawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":app68gb1 said:
pehawk":app68gb1 said:
AbsolutNET":app68gb1 said:

Lets just stop keeping track of wins and losses to begin with, that way everyone gets in.

Well, that's the only way fat kids like you got trophies. Of course you like that idea.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
That's interesting.

So how would this work?

Scenario 1:

#1 seed bye
#2 through #4 (all division winners) host WC teams.

Scenario 2:

#1, #2, #3 seed bye

#4 seed hosts #7.
#5 WC hosts #6

week 2:

#1 2nd bye
#2/#3 hosts WC winners.

Have to be scenario 1. I can't see a 2 week bye happening for the top seed.

Realistically, it would simply cost the #2 seed's bye week. But it would also increase the likelihood of having sub .500 teams in the postseason. The other issue would be that half the teams would only have 9 home dates instead of 10. Trading in essence 16 regular season games for 2 postseason games. From a ticket revenue perspective, it would be a net loss.

Not sure how compelling a #2 v. #7 seed playoff matchup would be. Maybe the NFL wants to better ensure their #1 seeds make it to the SB.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Ugh. The system is fine as it is. 50% of the teams in the playoffs would blow. The playoff race is exciting as it is, and if you bump in two more teams, you're going to have multiple years where a 7-9 team gets in.

Crizilla

Reaction score
12 teams is enough. This isn't the NBA where 16 teams make the playoffs and the 7 and 8 seeds are under .500.

Don't fix what ain't broke.

C-Dub

Reaction score
MANUNITED23":3kjsfakj said:
I hope they stick with a current schedule. Preseason games do actually matter.
Exactly. There's a lot of young talent that are fighting for their NFL life in weeks 3 and 4.

Just think about Russell Wilson never getting a shot at starting in the preseason and having Flynn be the QB in week 1. How would our team be right now?

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
C-Dub":2hd5oss4 said:
MANUNITED23":2hd5oss4 said:
Exactly. There's a lot of young talent that are fighting for their NFL life in weeks 3 and 4.

Just think about Russell Wilson never getting a shot at starting in the preseason and having Flynn be the QB in week 1. How would our team be right now?

I dont think anybody needed 4 preseason games to know that Russell Wilson was better then Matt Flynn. From what i've heard it was pretty obvious from the very first mini camp. Hell, some of us knew it the day that he was drafted.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
As Seahawks fans, we're in a prime position to argue against more teams in the playoffs. 7-9 playoff game at home, suckas!

Trollolololol  by nedrian d602cgh

C-Dub

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2kk7nykk said:
C-Dub":2kk7nykk said:
MANUNITED23":2kk7nykk said:

I dont think anybody needed 4 preseason games to know that Russell Wilson was better then Matt Flynn. From what i've heard it was pretty obvious from the very first mini camp. Hell, some of us knew it the day that he was drafted.
They needed 4 to prove he was better. I doubt you start Wilson in the regular season after he's only played well against 3rd and 4th stringers. Those 3rd and 4th games against the 1's showed he was the real deal.

Latest posts