Was the Rams-Redskins trade lose-lose?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I know that it's too early to tell, but hey, we like to discuss things here, and I saw this article and I chuckled because I thought that someone might make this point sooner or later:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-rober ... 42615.html

I mean, the argument is there. The Redskins have a bad defense. They could have picked up three starters on defense - where the Rams actually DID pick up three starters.

Meanwhile, Sam Bradford sucks. I know there are Rams fans lurking this board that will be saying, "Bradford FINALLY has the weapons, and 2017 is going to be the year he becomes elite!" in four years, but the dude is not good. That team with RGIII, a presumably-healthy RGIII that hasn't been run into the ground by a moron head coach that ruined Terrell Davis' career too early by running him into the ground, might make the playoffs this year and maybe even threaten to win the division.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The Redskins started really slow last year, so this year could be a repeat.

Remember one thing about Shanahan, the reason he was out of Denver was he refused to really improve the defense.

PeHawk said it best when he talked about shitty ownership. Which is really at the root of those two team's struggles.

Dtowers

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2x8gm4u8 said:
The Redskins started really slow last year, so this year could be a repeat.

Remember one thing about Shanahan, the reason he was out of Denver was he refused to really improve the defense.

PeHawk said it best when he talked about shitty ownership. Which is really at the root of those two team's struggles.

I wouldn't consider 3-3 averaging nearly 30 points a game to be slow. They hit a skid in the middle of the season and then went on a tear at the end.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Great thread topic.

I've already voiced my feelings about the subject, so won't do so again here, but I think the answer to the question, is in the question, itself.

I will say that I was very concerned about the Rams getting all those picks. Much more concerned than I was about the possibility of Griffin coming to our division. Now, other than Ogletree, I am not overly concerned about what the Rams will do with those picks. ...that is, as long as jeff Fisher is coaching and has a voice in the matter.

The Skins? They have a better version of Kaep. That's what they got after selling the farm. I am very happy with the trade. It's clearly win-win. ; )

HawkWow

Reaction score
..as in, they should have only drafted him for his ability to QB from the pocket?

Throwdown

Reaction score
HawkWow":13xekt9t said:
..as in, they should have only drafted him for his ability to QB from the pocket?

He shouldn't of been playing after the initial injury, thats just me though.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I can't argue that and according to Andrews, that goes on Shanahan (which never surprised me). But I think it stopped being on Shanahan (and Snyder) when Griffin demanded to play, using the clearance from the same surgeon (and media), to bolster his position. Now they're all screwed and I'd be lyin' if I said I that makes me unhappy.

EDIT: Had to re-read my previous response. My comment about drafting him as a pocket passer was in consideration of the injury he suffered in college. I think he went too high and they obviously gave up too much, unless they thought he could be successful from the pocket (alone). I misunderstood your sentiment about them playing him after the NFL injury. Again, you are 100% correct.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
No trade will help if the ownership/management can't draft well with what they get.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1hgipvb5 said:
No trade will help if the ownership/management can't draft well with what they get.
Any trade where picks trade hands are pretty much impossible to evaluate for years, aren't they?

Subzero717

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2fegvtgo said:
MontanaHawk05":2fegvtgo said:
Any trade where picks trade hands are pretty much impossible to evaluate for years, aren't they?

Are you saying that we cannot declare Austin a bust after 4 games?

Subzero717

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1hu957at said:
MontanaHawk05":1hu957at said:

Are you saying that we cannot declare Austin a bust after 4 games?

Sturm

Reaction score
It's too early to evaluate this trade. The 3 players the Rams picked up are all looking like good picks so I'm not sure what they did wrong. All Sam Bradford needs to do is become an above average QB and they can win. He's not at that level now but he's still young.

As for the Skins, it's not the coach's fault they have such a crappy field which tore up RGIII's knee. They gave up a lot but it it's probably worth it if he develops into a great QB. Again, too early to tell because he's only in his 2nd year and still coming back from an injury.

HawkWow

Reaction score
That field is without question a killer. But let's not forget Griffin had a knee while at Baylor, too.

The Skins gave away the farm for a running QB with knee history (LMAO). If it didn't happen at FedEx, with his style of play, it likely would have happened elsewhere. That is not to diminish the point that FedEx is a POS, but you can't blame the Skins for his injury unless you are going to blame Baylor, too. Injuries come with the territory when playing running QBs.

Injury aside, Like Cam Newton, I felt early (and often) that Griffin was more hype than substance (when being discussed as a surefire NFL sensation). In the Alamo bowl against the Dawgs, Griffin wasn't even the best QB on the field. Sure, he threw up some huge numbers IN COLLEGE. ....but mostly against inferior competition (like Nick Holt).

So now the Skins have a running QB that has suffered 2 knees and he's barely in his 2nd season. Now they will likely need to make him a pocket QB. If and when it is ascertained by NFL defenses that Griffin is no longer a threat to run, the Skins would be as well off, if not better off, with their 4th rd pick, Kirk Cousins.

It is not too early to evaluate this trade. The Skins were stupid. Period. There is no way I would have used even a single 1st rd pick on a running QB that had knee history (WTF?) and I said that before last year's draft. Do I think I'm smarter than every NFL team that wanted Griffin? Hell no. But we don't even know how many teams would have used a 1st on him to begin with. Seriously.

Comparable players, like Eric Crouch, weren't even drafted (as QBs). I guess the NFL was smarter back then. The frenzy surrounding Griffin was the bi-product of FOs thinking more about putting ass' in seats than creating a lasting, quality product. I look forward to Griffin having a very Vick like Career.

kearly

Reaction score
I think it was win-win, sort of.

It was a win for the Rams if you accept the premise that they were not even considering drafting a QB. Trading a high pick for two extra 1sts and two extra 2nds just to move down 4 spots is every GM's wet dream. Taking RG3 would have meant giving up on Bradford after just 2 seasons. I would have done it, specifically I would have called Indy to see how little it would take to move from #2 to #1 (Indy was said to be almost undecided between RG3 and Luck). But making a move like that would have taken some balls, and I'm not even sure it was the GM's call to make (Fisher claims that he chose St. Louis in large part because of Sam Bradford). Also, one of those picks from Washington might be high enough to get a very good QB in 2014. So this trade could end up a MASSIVE win for the Rams, if they can avoid missing a layup next spring.

It's a win for the Redskins if RG3 can adapt to playing the game in a more conservative manner. He's a smart dude, he'll get it down. I'm stunned to see otherwise intelligent people rush to judgement with him. I would say, at the very least, I'd wait til the end of the 2014 season before judging the RG3 acquisition a failure. He just needs time to heal and to adapt. Also, the Redskins are still recovering from Snyder's cap mismanagement from years past (the 2011 cap penalty from the NFL didn't help things). The bigger problem for the Redskins might be Mike Shanahan's inability to draft for defense. He needs to bring in a talented GM prospect, and a DC who knows what he's doing and let those guys handle the other side of the ball. He also needs to stop being an idiot with his RBs. Roy Helu is his most talented back, yet he won't use him just so he can wear out an NFL average RB in Alfred Morris instead.

It always amazes me how some coaches can be so brilliant with the complicated stuff but miss obvious things right in front of their noses (Pete has this characteristic as well).

gargantual

Reaction score
I remember Racist-Skins fans chortling last year about their field being their "homefield advantage". Really? They have to play on it too...and for at least 8 games every year.

But then intelligence has never been a requirement to be a fan.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I'm glad RGIII isn't in our division.

Especially RGIII on a team that isn't handcuffed for three years, unable to build around him.

Maybe they can't trade Bradford because of the contract. But RGIII in this division would've been tough.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Imagine if RGIII actually played for a smart coach (no Shanny isn't that smart, he was just lucky to have Mr Ed at Qb) in a dome and on turf. The kid should be as pissed with the rams as rams fans should be. I'm with English, I'm glad RGIII isn't in our division he could be great with Fisher.

drastik

Reaction score
Sturm":3mb8v4dh said:
The 3 players the Rams picked up are all looking like good picks so I'm not sure what they did wrong. All Sam Bradford needs to do is become an above average QB and they can win.
What 3 players?

Alec Ogletree is the only first round pick the Rams have gained so far in their trade with the Redskins.

In 2012, the Redskins and Rams swapped first round draft picks.. with St Louis getting Washington's #6 overall selection in exchange for the #2 overall selection.

In 2013, the Rams received Washington's 22nd overall selection, which they traded down to #30 and selected Ogletree.

In 2014, the Rams will also receive the Redskins 1st round pick.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
So far, St. Louis has used its Washington picks on defensive starters Michael Brockers (via a draft-day trade with Dallas), Janoris Jenkins and Alec Ogletree – The Rams still get Washington’s first-round pick next year too.

Latest posts