Chris Harper signed by 49ers!!!

kendog2639

Reaction score
The ongoing battle continues. Shefter reported 49ers signed harper off our practice squad!! Damn I hate SF :49ersmall:

vonstout

Reaction score
They need help at WR, so it's not a big surprise, but I won't be surprised if he's cut after our week 2 game either.

Barthawk

Reaction score
vonstout":26qj7h4q said:
They need help at WR, so it's not a big surprise, but I won't be surprised if he's cut after our week 2 game either.

Can't be cut after week 2.. If you sign someone off another PS they have to remain on the active roster at least 3 regular game checks.

Vandelay

Reaction score
Its not a done deal, just reported my Maiocco that Seattle trying to keep him

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Vandelay":3kig5p0o said:
Its not a done deal, just reported my Maiocco that Seattle trying to keep him
It seems there are only two ways Seattle could keep him. Pay him more than San Fran wants to even on the PS, or sign him to the active roster.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
How do we get to "reclaim" or retain him??

Once we opt to place him on the PS, aren't we vulnerable to losing him?

I don't understand how this works.

Largent80

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2r8ym1oj said:
How do we get to "reclaim" or retain him??

Once we opt to place him on the PS, aren't we vulnerable to losing him?

I don't understand how this works.

Ask your bookie. Pretty sure it's 16-1 that we cannot reclaim him.

Vandelay

Reaction score
No you are able to sign him to the 53 but obviously have to offer more money. Also release someone from the 53

Vandelay

Reaction score
Harper has the option of staying on the practice squad for more money, just as Ricardo Lockett did with the Niners. He had a chance to go to the 53 with another team but opted to stay with the Niners.

HereToRead

Reaction score
As a player that was drafted as high as he was, getting cut before the season......do you think he feels disrespected and would be more than happy to help the enemy?

Killa Kam

Reaction score
Vandelay":1mgyuc3b said:
Harper has the option of staying on the practice squad for more money, just as Ricardo Lockett did with the Niners. He had a chance to go to the 53 with another team but opted to stay with the Niners.

I believe their is a max limit that you can pay a ps player , just over 100,000 I think. While the minimum for active roster is 415k+.
I hope we can keep even if we have redshirt him on the active roster, I still think he can be a good role player for this team in the future. It took Golden Tate 2 years, Steven Williams a good 5, and Kearse one off season; I'd like to see him given at least one more offseason as a Seahawk before permanently giving up on him.

Does anybody else think the 49ers doing this just to force us to sign him to our 53 man roster, which forces us to release another player that would be more useful to have right now, like say Mike Morgan, just to f*ck with us

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Oh well. Next man up. Welcome back, Phil Bates.

Also, I believe Harper has to be their roster for at least 3 games before they can cut him. Its funny since Harbaugh came into the NFL... he's been leeching Seahawk players... Lockette and LeGree come to mind and now Harper. Martin briefly.

All the 9er players Seahawks brought were in 2010... M-Rob and Kentwan Balmer in a trade... I want to say for Lawrence Jackson.

Then there is the Maragos who was signed undrafted by Scot McLoughin (sp?) also in 2010. But Maragos became a Seahawk in 2011.

And Brett Swain who was a 49er in 2011 but was drafted when JS was still part of the Packers FO. And he was just cut.

So so far no Harbaugh influenced 49er has touched a Seahawks roster by my research. Also, LS Kyle Nelson had a brief stint before being cut in the first cut down.

4th round pick or not... I wouldn't take Harper back with Harbaugh tainted all over him... this coming from a big Harper enthusiast in the off-season.

NorthwestSportsFan

Reaction score
First off, I'm not worried in the least. I wasn't impressed at all with Harper in the preseason. My preference is that the Hawks just let him go. I don't want to see us cut anyone else to keep him.

Second, I believe a PS player is basically able to negotiate as a free agent with any team, so the only way to keep him is to offer more and place him on the 53, which requires we cut someone else. You can't pay him more and keep him on the PS because the weekly pay is the same across the league and set in the CBA.

Third, I think the 3 week rule is related to paying them for three weeks, not that he'd be stuck on the roster for three weeks. So, if the 49ers dropped him after our game they could do that but they'd also have to pay him for another week.