Question about the league year and timing

HawkGA

Reaction score
I recall hearing a while back that the Browns were waiting to cut Johnny Football until the new league year began because transactions couldn't occur before then. But the Jets just cut Cromartie, so apparently that's not the case, is it? What am I missing?

Basis4day

Reaction score
HawkGA":g0ao225k said:
I recall hearing a while back that the Browns were waiting to cut Johnny Football until the new league year began because transactions couldn't occur before then. But the Jets just cut Cromartie, so apparently that's not the case, is it? What am I missing?

The new league year starts in March. By waiting, all dead money counts against next years cap. They don't have the cap space to cut him right now.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Basis4day":ewj5p2he said:
HawkGA":ewj5p2he said:

The new league year starts in March. By waiting, all dead money counts against next years cap. They don't have the cap space to cut him right now.

A few years ago, Reggie McKenzie cut a ton of bad contracts for the Raiders before March just to bite the bullet when they were in cap hell. The next season, the Raiders had over $60 million in cap room as a result. It all depends on if you're trying to win now or are in rebuilding mode. Some teams are in denial about that (see: 2009 Seattle Seahawks).

Basis4day

Reaction score
Maulbert":o8jsibsw said:
Basis4day":o8jsibsw said:
HawkGA":o8jsibsw said:

A few years ago, Reggie McKenzie cut a ton of bad contracts for the Raiders before March just to bite the bullet when they were in cap hell. The next season, the Raiders had over $60 million in cap room as a result. It all depends on if you're trying to win now or are in rebuilding mode. Some teams are in denial about that (see: 2009 Seattle Seahawks).

The current regime was fortunate in the uncapped 2010 year to shred high priced contracts.

IIRC the Cowboys and Redskins got in trouble for manipulating contracts of active players to take the biggest hit in the uncapped year as opposed to the seahawks who used it to cut players.

Latest posts