Let's talk Rams/Niners

Ramfan128

Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/49ers%E2% ... ms_rivalry

The oldest rivalry in the NFC West. One of the oldest in the history of the NFL.

This didn't really heat up until the 70s/80s...

While the 49ers obviously dominated the 80s, the Rams were pretty good too. The Niners currently lead the all time series 65-63-3. The Rams have not won a decade since the 1970s.

Some of the bad highlights:

Ken Norton Jr. punching the goal posts

SOSAR - ugh.

Losing 17 straight in the 90s

My personal faves:

Beating them 8 times in the 80s - that's almost once per season, and considering how dominant they were, that's pretty impressive

The game in 1999 - the day that streak of 17 wins ended. I've never seen my dad so happy.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/b ... 100ram.htm

If you ask some Rams fans for there favorite memory, the answer might be this game. Losing 17 straight to your most hated rival, and then blowing them out and kneeling on the 1 yard line (I wanted them to punch it in).

What's funny about this rivalry is that aside from the 80s, the teams haven't really been good at the same time.

What do you think of the rivalry Niner fans???

RedAlice

Reaction score
Lots of great Niner memories. Actually, I don't think the Hawks became too relevant to football for me until 2012.

Which is the same year of my current favorite Niner game - it was also my first visit to the Edward Jones Dome and St. Louis. I went by myself.

It was 2012, the year we knocked out Alex Smith and gave Kap his grand beginnings. As soon as we tied the Niners in week 10, I knew we could beat them at home in the next game, so I booked my flight and bought my ticket right then.

Absolutely an Awesome weekend in St. Louis and that WIN! Made it even better that the town was full of Niner fans and come Monday morning, they were still out in force in their Niner jerseys in the hotel restaurant, so I got to enjoy some of the banter in person with our rivals.

This year, we tie up our 63-65-3 and it becomes 65-65-3. And so begins our first decade of dominance over the Niners in a very long time.

:49ersmall: :49ersmall:

And, yes to this fact -" What's funny about this rivalry is that aside from the 80s, the teams haven't really been good at the same time."

But, it's entirely possible we will get this soon. I don't expect the Niners to stay in collapse mode and we are getting better. This might become a good rivalry again here soon.

Well, unless the Rams move to the AFCW.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Actually this comment should go in this thread.

If you read Webzone, this thread is particularly delicious this year. Especially page 6.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niner ... s-pregame/

A post from there:

Devey gives up a league record in sacks. Kap throws a wild ball and kills a cheerleader. Tomsula starts to pace so hard the trainers are called to treat him for cramps. Vernon brings a clay wheel on the sideline and has a ghost moment with Jed. Patton manages to get a 30 yard penalty baffling the announcers. Bush gets hurt walking out of the locker room. In an act of desperation Hayne it's White in pregame warmups with a boomerang. Acker loses his man and ends up running with Fisher down the sideline on accident.

We lose 28-10

----
Why does a cheer leader have to die?

---
We'll find out next year she was in a twisted love triangle with Trent's daughter.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RedAlice":sxo5gt7z said:
Lots of great Niner memories. Actually, I don't think the Hawks became too relevant to football for me until 2012.

Not to slight the Hawks, but beyond Shaun Alexander and folks who played fantasy football, I think that's probably true for most people.

The Hawks & 9ers had a rivalry for two years because both teams were really good, but over the long haul (i.e. even when both teams suck) I think the 9ers rivals may still end up being the Rams and Cowboys.

I think it will take awhile to figure out if Hawks/9ers has any staying power as a rivalry, or if it was just a two year window when the teams were really competing with each other.

My sense is the latter, as it really took a decade of battling the Rams through the 70s and 80s and a decade of battling the Cowboys through the 90s for these rivalries really to get entrenched in 9ers lore and have a lot of staying power regardless of how good either team happened to be in any given year.

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT one of those silly posts denying that the Seahawks were the 9ers rivals for the previous three years or so. OF COURSE they were. This is just a post reflecting on if those past three years will have any staying power over the long term.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":oejlpblb said:
I enjoyed this rivalry a lot more when the Rams were in L.A. You know, the SoCal vs. NoCal thing and all.

Good point. That definitely added to it.

chris98251

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3750lunz said:
hawksfansinceday1":3750lunz said:
I enjoyed this rivalry a lot more when the Rams were in L.A. You know, the SoCal vs. NoCal thing and all.

Good point. That definitely added to it.

Well that seems to be what is going to happen again anyway.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I would not have guessed the win/loss was that close. Rams must have dominated the series early.

But what is with the 3 ties?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HawkGA":3l4b62xo said:
I would not have guessed the win/loss was that close. Rams must have dominated the series early.

You have to understand that these two teams have been playing each other since the 9ers were absorbed into the NFL from the All-American Conference in 1950. The Rams moved from Cleveland to LA around the same time. Ties were quite common in pro football up until overtime was implemented some time in the 80s if my old guy memory serves me.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1otvh4mv said:
DISCLAIMER: This is NOT one of those silly posts denying that the Seahawks were the 9ers rivals for the previous three years or so. OF COURSE they were. This is just a post reflecting on if those past three years will have any staying power over the long term.

You should just put a general disclaimer in your sig, popeye. :sarcasm_on:

You're very careful not to offend and were it not for new people coming and going, I'd hope that it's not necessary at this point. You've been around for a while, you're a respectful poster and you really shouldn't feel like you're not free to speak your mind.

RedAlice

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":p98orj9g said:
HawkGA":p98orj9g said:

You have to understand that these two teams have been playing each other since the 9ers were absorbed into the NFL from the All-American Conference in 1950. The Rams moved from Cleveland to LA around the same time. Ties were quite common in pro football up until overtime was implemented some time in the 80s if my old guy memory serves me.

The last tie was in 2012. It was pure hell. It is absolutely the worst way to end a game that you care about. You can't be sad or happy.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RedAlice":28qt9tmc said:
hawksfansinceday1":28qt9tmc said:
HawkGA":28qt9tmc said:

The last tie was in 2012. It was pure hell. It is absolutely the worst way to end a game that you care about. You can't be sad or happy.
Ooh yeah, I forgot about that one Alice. Sorry to revive bad memories.

Rex

Reaction score
Wasn't a bad memory since the Rams didn't lose, in fact the Rams won the series with the 49ers that season with both games going to OT.....and that was the season the 49ers lost the super bowl.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Laloosh":151n8wve said:
Popeyejones":151n8wve said:

You should just put a general disclaimer in your sig, popeye. :sarcasm_on:

You're very careful not to offend and were it not for new people coming and going, I'd hope that it's not necessary at this point. You've been around for a while, you're a respectful poster and you really shouldn't feel like you're not free to speak your mind.

:lol:

Thanks man. :th2thumbs:

In that post I just figured it was worth putting the disclaimer on because:

1) I was thinking through the thought experiment rather than coming to a conclusion, and realized that could be easily misunderstood.

2) I REALLY didn't want it to be misunderstood for one of those "The Hawks aren't the 9ers rivals" posts that some 9ers fans used to make to discount the Hawks back when the teams were competing with each other, because I always found that argument to be really ridiculous and obnoxious.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Rex":1tryng8d said:
Wasn't a bad memory since the Rams didn't lose, in fact the Rams won the series with the 49ers that season with both games going to OT.....and that was the season the 49ers lost the super bowl.

As I posted above, that was the game that made me want to to go St. Louis and see the Rams beat the Niners - which we did in Overtime the next game.

However, tieing a game is absolutely HORRIBLE. Not losing is NOT the same as winning. I saw it compared to making out with a sibling - it's just an ickky feeling.

OP
OP
R

Ramfan128

Reaction score
RedAlice":1o9z0gax said:
Rex":1o9z0gax said:

As I posted above, that was the game that made me want to to go St. Louis and see the Rams beat the Niners - which we did in Overtime the next game.

However, tieing a game is absolutely HORRIBLE. Not losing is NOT the same as winning. I saw it compared to making out with a sibling - it's just an ickky feeling.

For me it wasn't so much that it was a tie game, it was how it ended up tied...

First play of OT Amendola caught a 79 pass, took it all the way to the 1 yard line................only to be called back for illegal formation. I couldn't sleep for a few days after that game

RedAlice

Reaction score
Ah, that tie that will never be forgotten by any of us who watched it. I was in a bar in LA full of Raider fans.

Yes, RF128 - was a horrible end.

But, it did lead to one of the best current Niner fan memories the next game. Our win in OT after they missed a kick to win it was just awesome as my first St. Louis game.

Back in those 2012 days also, the Niner fans were full of confidence and pride and fun to interact with.

They did go to the SB that year and yet the one thing they could NOT say to us Rams fans is: we beat you this year. That part was fun too.