Let's talk Rams/Niners

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Ramfan128":29zy899y said:
RedAlice":29zy899y said:
Rex":29zy899y said:
Wasn't a bad memory since the Rams didn't lose, in fact the Rams won the series with the 49ers that season with both games going to OT.....and that was the season the 49ers lost the super bowl.

As I posted above, that was the game that made me want to to go St. Louis and see the Rams beat the Niners - which we did in Overtime the next game.

However, tieing a game is absolutely HORRIBLE. Not losing is NOT the same as winning. I saw it compared to making out with a sibling - it's just an ickky feeling.

For me it wasn't so much that it was a tie game, it was how it ended up tied...

First play of OT Amendola caught a 79 pass, took it all the way to the 1 yard line................only to be called back for illegal formation. I couldn't sleep for a few days after that game

Was that the game that the 9ers basically had in the bag until the fumble on the LaMichael James pitch, or was that the other game against the Rams that year that the 9ers lost?

Losing sucks, but ties are just embarrassing.

Rex

Reaction score
RedAlice":1d0o6hzk said:
Rex":1d0o6hzk said:
Wasn't a bad memory since the Rams didn't lose, in fact the Rams won the series with the 49ers that season with both games going to OT.....and that was the season the 49ers lost the super bowl.

As I posted above, that was the game that made me want to to go St. Louis and see the Rams beat the Niners - which we did in Overtime the next game.

However, tieing a game is absolutely HORRIBLE. Not losing is NOT the same as winning. I saw it compared to making out with a sibling - it's just an ickky feeling.

I must disagree. Remember the season before the Rams finished 2-14. A tie in that context isn't horrible.

Rex

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3911wq26 said:
RedAlice":3911wq26 said:
Rex":3911wq26 said:

First play of OT Amendola caught a 79 pass, took it all the way to the 1 yard line................only to be called back for illegal formation. I couldn't sleep for a few days after that game

:34853_doh:

SuperMan28

Reaction score
I know this is THE rivalry with so many CA Ram fans. But many young STL Ram fans, including me, only saw Hasselbeck and Alexander roasting everybody shortly after beating them three times in a season. The Niner rivalry is kinda "meh" for me. I even dislike ARZ more just because Arians ran his mouth after the DEC contest last year where the Rams despite the Rams defense only giving up 12 points. (One FG was set up by a Tre Mason fumble deep in Ram territory.) Can't wait to see my Rams play them this week (I'm going!), but they are our third biggest rival in my opinion. Rich history, though. It just happened before I was born.

Rex

Reaction score
SuperMan28":13yvya84 said:
I know this is THE rivalry with so many CA Ram fans. But many young STL Ram fans, including me, only saw Hasselbeck and Alexander roasting everybody shortly after beating them three times in a season. The Niner rivalry is kinda "meh" for me. I even dislike ARZ more just because Arians ran his mouth after the DEC contest last year where the Rams despite the Rams defense only giving up 12 points. (One FG was set up by a Tre Mason fumble deep in Ram territory.) Can't wait to see my Rams play them this week (I'm going!), but they are our third biggest rival in my opinion. Rich history, though. It just happened before I was born.

Excellent post. I followed the Rams once they moved to St. Louis and losing to the 49ers was what the St. Louis Rams did with most teams until the '99 season. So I understand your rationale and while a great rivalry with the Saints was well along the unfortunate divisional realignment put an end to it.....but brought another rival in the Seahawks and my team for 20 years the destitute dirty desert birdies in which early on the Rams were on the downhill slide but still were very competitive with the Seahawks until after a few years the one sided thumping became quite regular. You're right in that its the Seahawks, AZ then 49ers as rivals for this Rams fan too. :th2thumbs:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Popeyejones":120aq7it said:
Ramfan128":120aq7it said:
RedAlice":120aq7it said:
Rex":120aq7it said:

Was that the game that the 9ers basically had in the bag until the fumble on the LaMichael James pitch, or was that the other game against the Rams that year that the 9ers lost?

Losing sucks, but ties are just embarrassing.

Pretty sure it was the game where the Rams kicked the game winning field goal only to have it called back for the fastest delay of game penalty ever called. I can't find the clip but the official that called delay of game had to have been counting in his head because the clock hit zero and if you were trying to count one thousand and one you would haven't gotten past the W sound before that flag came out.

That stung for Seattle because it meant we were the #5 seed by half a game instead of the #2 seed and had to go play on the field in DC that ruined RGIII's knee and cost us our only pass rusher, our field goal and kickoff machine and sent Lynch to Atlanta with a sprained ankle.

Amazing the difference a quarter of a second can make in this game.

Latest posts