NFC West Week 5 Edition

ringless

Reaction score
Well that was an interesting week of football. Certainly can't take anything away from the teams that won this week as they did what they needed to get the wins at the end of the day, but this division is certainly up for grabs and for the first time in a couple years I actually don't feel their is a crystal clear leader in the division.

As things stand:
TEAM: OVR DIV
Cardinals 3-1 1-1
Rams 2-2 2-0
Seahawks 2-2 0-1
49ers 1-3 0-1

The Cardinals will travel to Detroit to play their second road game of the season against the last winless team in the NFL. I personally am a lot more nervous about this game after losing last week to the Rams. I feel we are the better team but I see us struggling in this one. I think Detroit certainly gained some confidence in almost defeating Seattle in Seattle this past week and the players might come together for yet another close game. I see the Cardinals winning a close game 23-20 in this one.

The Rams will travel to GB to try to take hold of the division this week, but I think they come up short here. Aaron Rodgers is just a different player at home, and that's no easy task. They certainly wont win in a shootout and if there offense isn't able to sustain drives I see them wearing down against an Aaron Rodgers led attack. I think God will again be a Packers fan this week. They are just too much to handle and the Rams haven't shown any consistency outside of the divisional games. 34-17 GB

The Seahawks will travel to play in Cincinnati which will be a huge test. The Bengals have a tremendous amount of weapons on offense both through the air and the ground. Only the Atlanta Falcons and Arizona Cardinals have scored more than the Bengals this season, and the defense is only giving up just under 19 points per game. Seattle has shown some huge weaknesses on offense this year in regards to the O-line. Seattle wins games when Lynch gets the ball, if they fall behind and he gets hit behind the line consistently I just don't see how they pull this one out in Cinci after struggling so much against a winless team. They have also been a lot less consistent on the road dropping 4 games last year and 2 this year already. I think Cinci takes this one at home. 27-20

San Francisco will also be on the road this week to face the Giants. The 49ers certainly had a much better showing on defense this week much like they did the first week but there is something critically wrong with Kap, and it seems to be a huge mental hurdle. In addition the staff doesnt seem to trust him to throw right now even when behind which I feel is only making the situation worse. They need to do something to help build his confidence and get some completions, even if it is using more of an Andy Reid style offense and letting him play a game manager role to get a feel. I haven't watched much of the Giants, but I do know there two losses they were ahead by 10+ in each before blowing the lead. I think the Giants take this game ( I know very little about the team) because SF just hasn't shown they can step up to the plate this year. Giants win 20-13

After week 5
Cardinals 4-1
Seahawks 2-3
Rams 2-3
49ers 1-4

PLAYER
RedAlice 12-4
KEARLY 10-6
RINGLESS 10-6
Hawksfansinceday1 10-6
drdiags 9-3
Shadowhawk 9-7
Mizzou 9-7
Hasselbeck 9-7
POPEYEJONES 8-8
Fade 8-8 Miscounted last week corrected
REX 7-5
greenblue_eye's2 6-2
UNCLE SI 6-2
ClutchDJ 6-6
Marvin49 5-5
SF49er 5-9
Superman28 5-4 Wasn't clear on picks, missing SF pick. 1-0 this week
Erebus 4-4
SALISHHAWKFAN 3-5
Laloosh 2-6
b8rtm8nn 2-2
Largent80 2-2
hawk45 2-2
London 12 1-3
SeahawksTopGear: 1-3
SPORTS HERNIA 0-4
ELCALIENTE 0-4

Ramfan128

Reaction score
The Cardinals-Lions game is going to be very interesting. I'll be excited to see that one. I don't know who the Cardinals are, but I know they will be playing either a team that has given up, or a team that sees this as their season. The Lions had a great game plan against the Seahawks offense...and have played a very tough schedule thus far.

I just think the Lions may have given up after this Monday night game.

Cardinals 27 - Lions 19

Don't see how the Seahawks can win in Cinci...which means they probably will. I won't be predicting it though.

Bengals 23 - Seahawks 14

It seems like every time the Giants should win a game, they lose. So what's going to happen here?

Giants 29 - Niners 23

The Packers were just held to 17 points....their defense has been better than expected, and they rush the passer as good as any team. Having said that...I think this game comes down to one thing - can the Rams defend Cobb? I say no...

Packers 30 - Rams 16

ClutchDJ

Reaction score
If Detroit gave up on their season already, it's probably to help get rid of their predictable OC. Jesus, Lombardi is a terrible OC. I think this is a perfect rebound game, even on the road. 31 - 16, AZ.

Dalton & Bengals' hot-streak ends here. 23-20, SEA(OT)

Giants-49ers will be close to the 4th, then NYG will score a late game TD to put the game on ice.

Rodgers is just a different animal at home, & I'm still skeptical about the Rams versus out of division teams, but this will be closer than the experts think, until the 4th, 35-24, GB.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Green Bay is a bad match up for us, even if we were at home.

I was expecting 2-3 at the bye....2-2 going into the Green Bay game. Took a more stressful route to 2-2 than I thought, but we got there.

considering this is in Green Bay, my expectations are very low. I expect Green Bay to drop 30+ on us, and I expect to score less than 20. I hope I'm wrong, obviously, and I could potentially see this turning into the "Denver" game from last year even though we are on the road because Rodgers doesn't have many weapons right now.

But still, a loss to GB means nothing in the grand scheme of things, as it's such a difficult place to play. I am expecting to see growth by the offense. GB presents a unique challenge as their defense can be very good, and also not so good. KC kind of went up and down the field on them in the 2nd half, and Chicago ran the ball all over them. The Niners offense is putrid, but the Rams can be too. As long as we see continued growth by this offense, and not a step back like what happened after the Seahawks game, I'll be happy.

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
AZ over DET ( homer )

CIN over SEA ( not clicking offense against a good defense )

SF over NYG ( because NYG should win )

RAMS over GB ( because this is what the Rams do on their way to 8-8 )

Passepartout

Reaction score
Well the Hawks will be against a powerhouse Bengals team on the fast track.

49ers I think will lose again.

Rams it can be very unpredictable with them.

Cardinals will be 3-1!

SF49r

Reaction score
Lions over cards
Rams over packers
Bengals over Seahawks
Niners over vagiants

kearly

Reaction score
Cardinals 4-1 Win
Seahawks 2-3 Lose
Rams 2-3 Lose
49ers 1-4 Lose

It's funny, I didn't know the week five schedule but I was wondering who the Lions might be playing. They lost in devastating fashion, had a ton of injuries, and had a short week. Not that the 'Seahawk effect' causes their opponent to lose the next week every single time, but this is about as good a case of it as you'll see. I think Tampa Bay could probably beat Detroit next week. So naturally, they play the Cardinals. This counts as a road game for the Cardinals, but it will be a way easier game than the one they just had at home against the Rams.

I could see Seattle's offense ending up with 350+ yards against Cincy, but the Bengals have a bend but don't break kind of defense and the Seahawks have a get yards but don't score kind of offense. It's a 10am start too, so you can probably bet on Cincy scoring 24+. I think to win Seattle is going to need a lot of turnover help or be money in the red zone.

Rams lose because duh.

49ers lose because they are really really really terrible.

drdiags

Reaction score
Current Record: 9-3

Cardinals over Lions 4-1
Packers over Rams 2-3
Bengals over Seahawks 2-3
NY Giants over 9ers 1-4

RedAlice

Reaction score
Seems I should appreciate probably my only week on top of the list.... so, yay.

Detroit over Az. I'm not sure on this pick and Az is playing good, but the Lions are due for a win and might have gained some confidence from the almost win v Hawks. Or, are frustrated now. I could also see the opposite - Az pissed at their loss and going all out dominance v Detroit. But, going w Detroit for the pick.

Rams over Pack. I'm being a hopeful homer with no apologies. Timing is good for weather, no snow rain or sleet expected. Everything else points against the Rams. I see either a close game with a Rams win or a total blowout of 30+ by the Pack.

Giants over SF. Odell did not get enough yards last week, he will fix that this week.

Cincy over Seattle. Hawks had some struggles last week that Detroit did not capitilize on - Cincy will.

AZ 3-2
Rams 3-2
Hawks 2-3
SF - 1-4

Odd week....I could also see the exact opposite of all my picks.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
RedAlice":2i9k7scb said:
Seems I should appreciate probably my only week on top of the list.... [u]so, yay.[/u]

Detroit over Az. I'm not sure on this pick and Az is playing good, but the Lions are due for a win and might have gained some confidence from the almost win v Hawks. Or, are frustrated now. I could also see the opposite - Az pissed at their loss and going all out dominance v Detroit. But, going w Detroit for the pick.

Rams over Pack. I'm being a hopeful homer with no apologies. Timing is good for weather, no snow rain or sleet expected. Everything else points against the Rams. I see either a close game with a Rams win or a total blowout of 30+ by the Pack.

Giants over SF. Odell did not get enough yards last week, he will fix that this week.

Cincy over Seattle. Hawks had some struggles last week that Detroit did not capitilize on - Cincy will.

AZ 3-2
Rams 3-2
Hawks 2-3
SF - 1-4

Odd week....I could also see the exact opposite of all my picks.

Really enjoy the optimism there. No you are treading in Rex's territory of excitement and enthusiasm! :0190l: :0190l:

RedAlice

Reaction score
Not even, Ringless.

I am the same as I have always been. I think I've been too nice to you, obviously based on that insult.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
RedAlice":96v3vg9u said:
Not even, Ringless.

I am the same as I have always been. I think I've been too nice to you, obviously based on that insult.

I was making a joke about the "yay" comment. It was sarcastic which is why I bolded it and underlined it. It just made me laugh in the sense it reminded me of Eeore from Whinny the Pooh

Rex

Reaction score
RedAlice":3e7nnopi said:
Not even, Ringless.

Savor it Alice. The Rex Effect! :0190l: :lol:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
GB over the Rams but that St. L D keeps it fairly close....
Packers 24
Rams 13

Detroit puts up a fight but Cards win on FG with no time left.
Arizona 23
Detroit 20

Niners at least don't have to play at 10:00 AM. Kraep is a mess but the D is playing fairly well. Still, the G Men look like a team that's coming on.
New Yawk 20
Santa Clara 10

Seahawks o-line is a flat out joke and look very much to my eyes like they'll cost the team a trip to the playoffs. They're not just bad, they're not even NFL caliber. Hawks on the road at 10:00 AM against a very good (regular season) team. Hawks D will hold up for a while but eventually wear down. This ain't gonna be pretty folks.
Cincy 27
Seattle 13

Fade

Reaction score
SEA (2-2) @ CIN (4-0)

The Hawks are playing this game at the wrong time, or the right time since it's against an AFC opponent. Short rest, travel, 10AM. The Bengals I'm sure will want to prove how great they are by knocking off the Hawks. Andy Dalton puking all over himself is Seattle's only hope.

Pick: Bengals

STL (2-2) @ GB (4-0)

Now (0-4) picking the Rams. I have been wrong about them every week.
The Rams will ugly up the game a bit early, but the Pack will make adjustments quickly, and cruise to an easy victory.

Pick: Packers

AZ (3-1) @ DET (0-4)

AZ is going to murder Detroit. Their O-Line will struggle against the Cards blitz packages, while Palmer should have plenty of time to throw against the Lions terrible Secondary. This combined with a deflating loss on MNF, and short rest = blowout.

Pick: Cardinals

SC (1-3) @ NYG (2-2)

Most of the country I'm sure is not looking forward to this game. I AM. Watching Colin Sackorpick continue to get worse every game is highly entertaining. The whole organization is a train wreck circus of disaster, but #7 is the star of the show.

Pick: Giants